By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
The_Liquid_Laser said:

PS4 will be the winner of Generation 8. Switch will be the winner of Generation 9. How will each do? PS4 will do quite well and finish in that table's S rank. Switch is another story altogether.

Switch will amaze people starting in 2019. 2018 will be a disappointing year for Switch, and Nintendo will have a fair amount of supply sitting on the shelves in most of the world. Roughly the time that Pokemon is released Switch consoles are going to start flying off the shelves. People will even say that Pokemon single-handedly saved the Switch, but the truth is that a bunch of Japanese 3rd party games will also be released around the same time. Sometime in 2019 Nintendo will run out of stock in their major territories. In 2020 and later years they are going to sell record numbers. The Switch will become this cultural phenomenon like people have never seen before.

In short this table will have to create a new SSS rank just for the Switch. It is going to get all of the people who would normally be in the handheld market plus a huge chunk of the home console market. It will be a console like no other.

This was my initial post from late 2017.  I know it sounded crazy at the time, but looking at it now I think the main thing I got wrong was the timing for when Switch would really take off.  Substitute "Animal Crossing" for where I said "Pokemon", and the prediction is not too far from what happened.  Basically my prediction was 4 months off.

Ryng said:

MY PREDICTION (As for November 13 2017)

NSW - 125m
PS4 - 120m

Poll as for November 13 2017

Will be update in future...

The nice thing about this thread is that the percentages in the poll now are pretty close to what they were back in 2017.  There is still a huge chunk of people who voted "PS4 will win by a huge margin".  I guess that is the benefit of creating this thread so early.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I voted NS by a small margin but the way PS4 is going now and the momentum NS has amassed it's looking like it's going to be a significant to large margin at this point, NS will hit 100m next year and could do it before the holiday buzz of November arrives.

Same here

I was expecting the PS4 to reach ~125M, while I expected the Switch to get 130M-140M, but now it looks like the PS4 will have troubles reaching the 125M while the Switch could possibly be lowballed.

I had PS4 pegged for 130-140 million but it doesn't look like it's going to get there now.
Switch is harder to call as it all depends on just how long until its successor comes out, which could be anytime from 2022 to 2024 or possibly even later.

Look like the smallest (At least credible) Percentage of votes are going to win this!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I will say again, too early to predict anything. We need more data.

Ps5 first year sale. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I had PS4 pegged for 130-140 million but it doesn't look like it's going to get there now.
Switch is harder to call as it all depends on just how long until its successor comes out, which could be anytime from 2022 to 2024 or possibly even later.

I think even 2024 is pessimistic at this point. 2024 holiday the earliest. I’m going with 2025 spring/holiday successor release

curl-6 said:

At the rate the baseline has been dropping, I’m not so sure anymore if 120 million is a safe bet. I think keeping the price at $300 for so long has done more damage to the PS4’s legs because now people can just jump to the PS5 Digital version at $400 since it’s backwards compatible anyway. They might as well just jump straight to next gen. 

And I don’t think we’re getting a Switch successor any sooner than March ‘23. That’s the very earliest we should expect it to arrive, and even then, I think that’s unlikely. I think March ‘24 - 7 years, is the more likely scenario.

Bump!

These old prediction threads are always funny.

What most people don't realize is that the OP will have to create a new tier for Switch.  It has SS for DS and PS2, but Switch will be SSS tier.

Switch is going to peak at about 30m this year.  People keep looking for Switch sales to drop off of a cliff, but it isn't going to happen.  Switch's sales descent will be fairly gradual.  Not only does Nintendo plan to keep supporting the Switch (BotW2, Splatoon 3, Pokemon Arceus, etc...), but the number of titles on the Switch has increased each fiscal year so far.  Even during COVID the number of titles released.  Third party developers keep giving the Switch more and more support.  It's also going to get more support this year than the last.  There are so many new titles on the Switch, that it is going to take it a long time to stop selling completely.