By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 VS Switch lifetime sales, which console will sell the most?

What do you expect?

NSW will win by a huge margin 53 16.06%

NSW will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a small margin 75 22.73%

PS4 will win by a huge margin 117 35.45%

Sorry, no troll XB1 option. :P Oh wait... 10 3.03%

Total:330
Conina said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Most of the consoles you listed lost their momentum before their successor was announced.  

You've confused the cart and the horse.  A loss of momentum leads to a successor getting announced, and not the other way around.

(...)

And as I wrote, I see 200 million units possible for Switch, but not a sure thing.

(...)

That's how I see it too.  200 million is possible, but not a sure thing.  

BTW, 200 million was never my number.  That was the number you came up with.  I was thinking SSS tier in terms of the poll, as in outselling PS2 by a large margin.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 26 August 2021

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Conina said:

(...)

And as I wrote, I see 200 million units possible for Switch, but not a sure thing.

(...)

BTW, 200 million was never my number.  That was the number you came up with.  I was thinking SSS tier in terms of the poll, as in outselling PS2 by a large margin.

So what is your number? 170M or 180M?

I'm not totally confident in the Switch outselling the DS and PS2 because I think there's a possibility of the Switch never getting a price cut. And I don't think there will ever be a Switch pro.

Kakadu18 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm not totally confident in the Switch outselling the DS and PS2 because I think there's a possibility of the Switch never getting a price cut. And I don't think there will ever be a Switch pro.

For a couple of years now I've been saying 170m, but that is looking increasingly more conservative to me at this point.  Tbone has made a thread predicting 200m+.  I see that as a possibility, but I am not ready to predict that yet.  

What I've been waiting for is to see when Switch's peak year actually is (and I tend to go by FY and not calendar year).  Last year I was sure that was going to be peak year, but Switch has been doing so well this year compared to last year's Animal Crossing spike.  Last year also had an extremely mild holiday quarter as far as software releases go.  I think this year is actually going to be the peak year.

Peak year is important, because consoles usually sell roughly about 1/2 their total up to that point.  Once we are past the peak, then we'll get a much better idea of just how far the Switch will (and won't) go.  Right now, I'll just say 170m as a bare minimum and in a year or so I hope to have a better number.

Why is this even a topic? Obviously its the switch, there is no question about it, with the launch of the OLED model the switch will reach 100 million by the end of the year. The Pokémon in January will drive sales even further. And then breath of the wild 2. And there's still 2 or 3 more years of sales for the switch.

On the other hand the ps4 is basically finished, everyone's moving to ps5, especially with backwards compatibility and there's nothing exclusive coming to ps4.

Radek said:

I'm devastated that PS4 sales have almost completely stopped, is 120 millions even possible still?

I also blame Sony for not reducing the price to like $199 for 1TB model at least wtf.

There's no reason to. They want you to buy the ps5, that's the best business decision to make, so driving the price lower on ps4 would make some gamers just get a ps4 instead of ps5. If the price difference is not much, its a good incentive to make people want a ps5 instead, which leads to the sales of more ps5 games, Sony ones cost 70 dollars so more profit for Sony.

Sometimes I think gamers here forget that Sony is a company first and foremost. All that matters to them is making money.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Ring Fit Adventure will sell 10m+.

... wow

You realise that in it's launch month it came 10th in NPD right... In the UK it debuted 3rd in it's first week, behind Witcher 3 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Sales in Japan currently sit at 220k.

It'll be lucky to hit 5m.

Not your best prediction.

victor83fernandes said:

Why is this even a topic? Obviously its the switch, there is no question about it, with the launch of the OLED model the switch will reach 100 million by the end of the year. The Pokémon in January will drive sales even further. And then breath of the wild 2. And there's still 2 or 3 more years of sales for the switch.

On the other hand the ps4 is basically finished, everyone's moving to ps5, especially with backwards compatibility and there's nothing exclusive coming to ps4.

You might want to take a look at the date of the thread.  It's just hitting the front page to remind people who made some not so good, but maybe good for the time, predictions.  It is really quite a sight to see the PS4 run into a wall while the Switch is tracking for the stars.  Of course, anytime a manufacturer releases a new system that is bound to happen.  All these crazy Switch forecasts could prove to be too ambitious as well if Nintendo decides to unveil a successor.  Something tells me, though, that that isn't too likely at the moment.  A revision/price cut is sure to precede that eventuality and we're at least a year from those things happening it would seem.

Jumpin said:

Too early to tell, but I would say Switch and PS4 will both be in the S-Club at some point in their lifetimes.

Wii was the ultimate party system. With the Switch, there truly ain't no party like an S-Club party.

Woo! :D

I'm on the ball!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It might be a long time before the next Switch, Nintendo hasn't even begun talking about it yet and the original Switch was talked about a long time before its launch... like decades.

Some old celebrity hype videos for the Nintendo Switch.

And there was a time that it was called the Project iNXs

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kakadu18 said:

For a couple of years now I've been saying 170m, but that is looking increasingly more conservative to me at this point.  Tbone has made a thread predicting 200m+.  I see that as a possibility, but I am not ready to predict that yet.  

What I've been waiting for is to see when Switch's peak year actually is (and I tend to go by FY and not calendar year).  Last year I was sure that was going to be peak year, but Switch has been doing so well this year compared to last year's Animal Crossing spike.  Last year also had an extremely mild holiday quarter as far as software releases go.  I think this year is actually going to be the peak year.

Peak year is important, because consoles usually sell roughly about 1/2 their total up to that point.  Once we are past the peak, then we'll get a much better idea of just how far the Switch will (and won't) go.  Right now, I'll just say 170m as a bare minimum and in a year or so I hope to have a better number.

Well, I admire your optimism. At least your prediction isn't completely unfounded. 

I don't see 200M as possible. Let's hope you're right. I wanna see records being broken.