By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

#48 is Hyrule Warriors

#47 may be Space Pirates and Zombies?

48 is correct

47 is incorrect.  My game is definitely a roguelike, but the gameplay is more about giving orders to the crew of your starship.

Hmm, FTL then?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

My number 50 is...

The original Paper Mario used to be on my list, but after a lot of thought I've replaced it with this. It has the same mechanics as the original, but much better worldbuilding and characterization. Just looking at the cover you can see how somebody over at Nintendo had a field day, giving regular Mario side characters personalities of their own. Regular old turn based combat can get boring if unchallenging or overused, so Nintendo adopted the timed button presses from Super Mario RPG. I consider Super Mario RPG, Mario and Luigi Series, and Paper Mario to be basically the same sub-genre of Mario based JRPG. So far this is the best one I've played, but I need to play Bowser's Inside Story. 

This game had to fight for the top fifty spot with the likes of The World Ends With You, GTA: Chinatown Wars, and River City Ransom. So it'll likely be pulled from next year's list. Still a great game though, and worthy of being mentioned. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Darashiva said:

A Gamecube JRPG from a series famous for its real-time battle systems and anime inspired visual style.

Tales of Symphonia?

Correct.

#49 is the first game in this long gone but never forgotten racing series.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:

F-Zero

Around the Network

#50: Metroid Fusion

The fact that we haven't gotten a 5th canonical game in the series, and only now has the series been revived from the dead is still somewhat concerning to me, but that's besides the point.

Although this is personally my least favorite 2D Metroid game, and I am not a fan of the linear structure compared to other installments, the game still did a great job of being able to create a creepy and atmospheric setting for a portable as weak as the GBA, and the music does a good job at setting the mood. I also loved most of the bosses, and in true Metroid fashion, tests your reflexes and your ability to use your given upgrades to the test,

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Here are some hints (I am very bad at hints BTW):

#49: Despite the console this game got ported on, and the company that made this game was made by, this game seemed to have been overshadowed by the company's other great games on the same platform, and the same genre. Well nowadays, that shouldn't matter too much, considering that the series nowadays is way more relevant to even some mainstream audiences, and even if you're not familiar with the series, you can at least agree that blonde vampires who hide out in Egypt are massive jerks.

#48: Licensed games never seem to get it right, but this one managed fine. It has plenty of optional secrets and goodies that a die-hard fan of the franchise will truly appreciate. Despite this game being ported to multiple platforms, its not as good sequel only ended up being released on the console of origin of the first. Maybe this game will be off my list next year, considering this guy is getting a new game people are hyped up for next year.

#47: Let's face it, we love classic 8-bit games, but most haven't aged well, and are bound for a face lift so they can be better enjoyed. This was back when remakes were starting to become prevalent, and for the most part, does its job as simply and efficiently as possible, with basic things like smoother controls, and better graphics. The original was a little too short though, so let's add one more end game location, a hint of fan service, and voila!

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 12 November 2017

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Flilix said:
Slarvax said:

F-Zero

Correct

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

For my #50 (A Hat in Time), I fulfilled my social obligation to include a hat-themed, semi-free-roaming platforming game from 2017.

Some hints for my upcoming games:

#49: This multiplatform title from a hungarian developer I played on my WiiU.
#48: Once there was a great gaming series that dominated a specific genre of gaming. The company doing the series was associated with this genre. But then videogaming changed - with the introduction of graphics. My game 48 is an attempt to revive the series in this new environment.
#47: A young ingenious developer invented this gaming series and redefined the genre. The installment I chose for the list is on Wii.
#46: This DOS-game took 3D-gaming serious. Seriously, you could rotate and move at all three axis. That made orientation sometimes difficult and the automap looked... interesting. The packed-in level-creator lead to the circulation of some very interesting fan-made levels.
#45: The rogue-like that made rogue-likes popular. I include in this place the most popular... let's say mod.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]