By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Flilix said:
Mnementh said:
My game #50 was back then one of the most innovative fighting games. it was published by a company that is today less known for it's games but still one of the most important companies in gaming.

Tekken?

nope

And Namco is still known for their games.

Well, I could fill in the game as today is the 12th, but I can wait a little more and say the publisher I mean is Epic Games (back then still Epic Megagames) and they are more known for their Unreal Engine today than for their games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
50. Disney characters, co-op multiplayer game for a 16-bit system.
In this game one of the most useful items is a gun that shoots ropes.

Goof Troop.

Well, here are some hints for the first three games on my list.

Proved that platformers could work just as well in 3D as they did in 2D.
A Gamecube JRPG from a series famous for its real-time battle systems and anime inspired visual style.
Part of a JRPG series that has begun to gain more attention in recent years thanks to several games being ported onto PC by Xseed Games. This particular game is the second entry in its subseries on the PS3.

Darashiva said:

A Gamecube JRPG from a series famous for its real-time battle systems and anime inspired visual style.
Part of a JRPG series that has begun to gain more attention in recent years thanks to several games being ported onto PC by Xseed Games. This particular game is the second entry in its subseries on the PS3.

#50 is Super Mario 64

#48 is an Ys game, but I'm not sure which one was on the PS3.

Here are clues to my next few:
#49 is an arcade game that uses a trackball and was co-developed by a female at a time when there were almost no females in the game industry.
#48 combines a classic Nintendo franchise with the game play of another well established franchise in this Wii U game.
#47 is a roguelike in outer space on the PC

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

#50 is Super Mario 64

Correct on #50, but 48 is wrong. They do publish the YS titles as well, but this game is from a different series also developed by Nihon Falcom.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

#50 is Super Mario 64

#49 is an arcade game that uses a trackball and was co-developed by a female at a time when there were almost no females in the game industry.
#48 combines a classic Nintendo franchise with the game play of another well established franchise in this Wii U game.

#48 is Hyrule Warriors

#47 may be Space Pirates and Zombies?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Darashiva said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#50 is Super Mario 64

Correct on #50, but 48 is wrong. They do publish the YS titles as well, but this game is from a different series also developed by Nihon Falcom.

Is it Trails of Cold Steel II?

Mnementh said:
My game #50 was back then one of the most innovative fighting games. it was published by a company that is today less known for it's games but still one of the most important companies in gaming.

My game for today is One Must Fall: 2097 from Epic MegaGames released in 1994, long before they made Unreal and the Unreal Engine.

One Must Fall is a giant robot fighting game. You pick your pilot and your robot and scrap the opponent. The game featured environmental hazards (pretty new for that time) and an tournament mode in which you had to earn money by winning fights to pay for the repairs for your robot and possibly pay for upgrades, training for your pilot or even to purchase a different robot model. You had scrap and destruction moves to damage the opponents robot if you won the fight (pretty much like fatalities). The graphic was pretty great for that time, the music is awesome, the game is addicting.

I read in Wikipedia the game was made freeware, so you can download it and play it in Dosbox. Hmm, I might give it another run. Also I read there is remake project OpenOMF which adapts it to modern networking. Don't know how well that works.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

A little video showing it off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrUyinFZ170

Last edited by Mnementh - on 26 December 2017

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

#50 is Super Mario 64

#48 is Hyrule Warriors

#47 may be Space Pirates and Zombies?

48 is correct

47 is incorrect.  My game is definitely a roguelike, but the gameplay is more about giving orders to the crew of your starship.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Darashiva said:

Is it Trails of Cold Steel II?

That's the one.