By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Mnementh said:

OK, finally hints for my TOP 3.

game #3

Hint 1: You kill these majestic beasts for their flesh.

game #2

Hint 1: The remake of this dungeon delver with mapping on a grid included not only updated graphics, but also a complete new additional story-mode.

game #1

Obviously the best game of all times.

Hint 1: This is the third installment of a once very popular strategy series, which involved building up armies through your cities that join your heroes and fight the enemies heroes and their armies or try to take over enemy cities.

#1 is Heroes of MIght and Magic 3
(A very awesome game in a very awesome series.  I put HoMM2 as my #5 game, but I can't fault anyone who prefers HoMM3.)

Yeah. I actually only ever played 3, but read that most people consider it the best. I might try the others if my backlog recedes (so: never).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Mnementh said:

game #6

Hint 1: You explore the lands you live: the bodies of dead or sleeping gods.

Hint 2: For reasons unknown it was difficult to get this game release in the US, although in europe a release with an english translation already existed.

#6 Xenoblade Chronicles

Yeah, Slarvax is right, my next game is Xenoblade Chronicles.

This game had won me in the moment it became clear you live and play on the bodies of these titans. In the game I actually often looked up or to the side to imagine on which place on the body I am. I play a group of microbes on a body. That was awesome.

The game won me more as we cleared the kneecap-hills , going through a short canyon and then the landscape opens up to the leg. It is so gigantic. And that's only the leg. That was awesome.

Each region got me more. Each region looked differently, the plants, the structire of the landscape, the colors. This was so cool.

And then the game won me with the extremely inventive beasts roaming these landscapes.

To add to all these wins, the fighting system was great, with tactical elements of placement of your people. The music is just incredible. The story is electrifying.

I don't know what Nintendo of America was even thinking as they decided to overlook this game. Why was operation rainfall even needed?

This game is a reason to get a Wii (or WiiU, it is compatible with Wii-discs). Maybe Nintendo could consider a HD-remake.

Wikipedia, MobyGames, OGDB, IGDB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YEhVPZjgMk&list=PL_sYhAj0WXRM2_xfO1O6P040gwIwlhqcP

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

game #3

Hint 2: Please eat gross beast flesh my love.

game #2

Hint 1: The remake of this dungeon delver with mapping on a grid included not only updated graphics, but also a complete new additional story-mode.

Hint 2: This is the remake of the first title in this series.

game #1

Obviously the best game of all times.

Hint 1: This is the third installment of a once very popular strategy series, which involved building up armies through your cities that join your heroes and fight the enemies heroes and their armies or try to take over enemy cities.

Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser: Heroes of Might and Magic III

Mnementh said:

game #3

game #2

3, Pandora's Tower?

2, Etrian Odyssey Untold the Millennium Girl

ARamdomGamer said:
Mnementh said:

game #3

game #2

3, Pandora's Tower?

2, Etrian Odyssey Untold the Millennium Girl

Both are correct!

Around the Network

4.Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

This was the first game I remember playing other than Sega Genesis games. When I moved to Canada as a young boy, my mom had to work a lot, so my grandma ended up buying me a PS1 and this game with it. I remember sucking at this game, but eventually I would beat the game 100%! This is a game that I think still holds up well, honestly the remake was not even necessary in my opinion.

3.Super Smash Bros. Melee

Now we're getting to the cream of the crop for me. I played this game at some friends' houses and had a lot of fun with it, so I ended up getting the game myself. I had to keep playing the beginning over again because I didn't have a memory card, but when I did end up being able to save I had some good memories trying to unlock everyone. Even though this is remembered as a multiplayer game, most of my memories with Melee are single-player.

#5 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker / GCN - Wii U

Doesn't matter if is the original or the HD version, this was my favorite Zelda for the longest time, another big part of my childhood, I was truly immersed into every element of it, first of all, it has the best intro to any Zelda, the legendary hero theme with the pictures is all just perfect, the beautiful and colorful world, filled with fun and quirky characters, chock full with memorable moments and its heartwarming story, exploring the big sea was so much fun, even the triforce quest, felt like an explorer hunting for treasure, taking pictures and slowly filling the figurine gallery, I just love every moment of this game, and of course, what I consider the best Zelda soundtrack to date (tho I’m debating that now). And the HD version is just an even better version of this masterpiece.

S.Peelman said:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2

• Windows PC
  • Construction & Management Simulation
  • Chris Sawyer Productions

If there ever was a game that needed to count play-time, it is 'Rollercoaster Tycoon 2'. It's a shame I will never know, but I have undoubtedly put many thousands of hours into it, which likely makes it my most ever played game. There's really just two other contenders. I still have many of my saved-games from the very beginning, dozens and dozens of them and there's more added to that list on a fairly regular basis though certain parks alone take hundreds of hours to build.

A game which I played so regularly for such a long time has got to be good, and it is placed high on the list, because it is. The player is unlimited, and you can build anything you can imagine. The only downside is that the world didn't stand still, and advancements have been made in real life in ride-technology in the last one-and-a-half decade since the game's release that isn't possible to replicate in the game without some doses of imagination. It doesn't spoil the fun however.

Even with those thousands, maybe even ten-thousand, of hours of playtime, I barely completed a single scenario. They're not interesting; the sandbox-mode, and the limitless design possibilities that come with it is what it's all about, and I've gotten very good at it. Even without the use of the many available user-created content and hacks. In fact, what you see in the screenshot is vanilla, and mine.

I really love this game.  I am the type of person that really needs the scenario mode though because "pure" sandbox games do not appeal to me.  It is nice that they have both types of modes in there.  It's been a couple of years since I've played it last which is too long.  So many games so little time....  

That is a very nice looking park you have built there.  I don't think I ever quite had aesthetics that good for the parks I've built.  I usually just try to get the money going and then build some cool coasters.

S.Peelman said:

Usually, either it's predecessor or it's successor get more credit for things, but this game actually invented a lot of this great series' mainstays like the collect-a-thon and trading side-quests, a musical instrument with different songs for different purposes, mini-bosses, a guide character and a certain mini-game.

Is this Majora's Mask?  (Not sure, because I've never played Majora's Mask.)

Slarvax said:
A remake that made the original game completely worthless.

Super Mario Bros. 3

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 26 December 2017

mZuzek said:
Slarvax said:
A remake that made the original game completely worthless.

Is it Zero Mission? (not like the original Metroid was worth anything before it, but I really don't know.)

#4 - Crimson something or other.

Yup, Zero Mission.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988