By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch game consoles next fiscal year

curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I feel like you should know better than anyone that casual and gimmicky Wii-like experiences aren't even synonyms. 

Let me rephrase; if they think they are going to sell this many units by making games like 3-4 Switch, Switch Fit, Switch Sports, etc, they are badly deluded.

Switch Sports would be very welcome by me. I think Nintendo made a big mistake not putting this (not this half-assed remake of the original Wii-Sports which was sold for each game separately) on WiiU. I think they wanted to deemphasize the Wiimote. But with Switch they focused in presentation much on the Joycons. I think a Wii Sports Resort like game might do very well. Let's see how Just Dance 2018 does.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
curl-6 said:

Let me rephrase; if they think they are going to sell this many units by making games like 3-4 Switch, Switch Fit, Switch Sports, etc, they are badly deluded.

Switch Sports would be very welcome by me. I think Nintendo made a big mistake not putting this (not this half-assed remake of the original Wii-Sports which was sold for each game separately) on WiiU. I think they wanted to deemphasize the Wiimote. But with Switch they focused in presentation much on the Joycons. I think a Wii Sports Resort like game might do very well. Let's see how Just Dance 2018 does.

I honestly don't think casuals are what's making the Switch sell and without them, those Sports titles won't sell. 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Mnementh said:

I honestly don't think casuals are what's making the Switch sell and without them, those Sports titles won't sell. 

Not currently. But would be in line with this increased production. Switch has very well the selling points of the Wii built in in the hardware. So far they do not capitalize on it. 1-2-Switch in my opinion similar to Nintendoland not a real mover, only an addition. And look, even 1-2-Switch sells much more than a million.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

flashfire926 said:
Well, people do realize that Yoshi is also on the casual side, right? As much as I like woolly world, you can tell its made for kids/casuals by how braindead easy it is, and how the game's aesthetic is.

Well than you can say same thing for most Nintendo IPs, Kirby, 2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Splatoon..

BrittinShicks said: 

I really hope this speculation about China turns out to be true! For anyone who is familiar with that market: Do you think Switch will be a popular console for Chinese consumers?

Its not speculation, Nintendo itself said they intend to enter China market, and they actually said they cant do that alone (because China rules) so they need some local partner and they are actively looking for one.

Miyamotoo said:
flashfire926 said:
Well, people do realize that Yoshi is also on the casual side, right? As much as I like woolly world, you can tell its made for kids/casuals by how braindead easy it is, and how the game's aesthetic is.

Well than you can say same thing for most Nintendo IPs, Kirby, 2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Splatoon..

None of those games are really geared towards kids/casuals. The only game from the list you can make a case for is 2D Mario.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Mnementh said:

True, but the announcing Wii Sports will bring some of the casuals who have nostalgia back in. 2-3m could easily happen.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Miyamotoo said:

None of those games are really geared towards kids/casuals. The only game from the list you can make a case for is 2D Mario.

What the fuck? Animal Crossing, Kirby, and Mario Kart aren't geared for kids or casuals? Even 3D Mario could be considered as such. And Splatoon and Smash are about even with demographics

When Nintendo says they want to expand the Switch into casual territory, I think they mean so with games that sell gangbusters. Yoshi and Kirby are casual, but they also don't sell a whole lot, so I don't think that's what Nintendo means.

flashfire926 said:

What the fuck? Animal Crossing, Kirby, and Mario Kart aren't geared for kids? Even 3D Mario could be considered as such. And Splatoon and Smash are about even with demographics

Those games are geared towards everyone in general I would say. all the way from kids, to serious gamers. Not specifically targeting kids/casuals tho.

Bet with Intrinsic:

flashfire926 said:

What the fuck? Animal Crossing, Kirby, and Mario Kart aren't geared for kids? Even 3D Mario could be considered as such. And Splatoon and Smash are about even with demographics

Those games are geared towards everyone in general I would say. all the way from kids, to serious gamers. Not specifically targeting kids/casuals tho.

That's kind of a bad point though, don't you think? Nearly every Nintendo franchise sells to a diverse cast of demographics, that's why a "niche" franchise for Nintendo is 2-3 million and some of their competitors have front runner franchises that sell 2-3m. Nintendo franchises almost always cater to everyone possible, it just doesn't always lead to big sales. Their are exceptions, but Kirby and Animal Crossing and Mario Kart aren't them ... 

And I'm not going to make a bet on who Nintendo thinks Kirby and Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are for, but remember this is the same company who for years considered one of their most hardcore franchises as nothing but a "party game" (Ok yeah yeah it's technically Sakurai but you get my point)

flashfire926 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Disagree, I dont see how Yoshi can be geared towards kids/casuals and games like Kirby, 3D Mario, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Spaltoon...are not.

flashfire926 said: 

Its same thing with Yoshi also, I am surprised you fail to see that.