By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch game consoles next fiscal year

Maybe Pokemon really will hit next Holiday after all. If they had that plus Animal Crossing, they could totally sell that many.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I feel like you should know better than anyone that casual and gimmicky Wii-like experiences aren't even synonyms. 

Let me rephrase; if they think they are going to sell this many units by making games like 3-4 Switch, Switch Fit, Switch Sports, etc, they are badly deluded.

Yeah, I don't know how they plan to sell near that much. They probably don't expect 30 mil, but somewhere in the 18-22 range. What are they going to do? This just makes New Super Mario Bros all the more likely. 

curl-6 said:

Let me rephrase; if they think they are going to sell this many units by making games like 3-4 Switch, Switch Fit, Switch Sports, etc, they are badly deluded.

Yeah, I don't know how they plan to sell near that much. They probably don't expect 30 mil, but somewhere in the 18-22 range. What are they going to do? This just makes New Super Mario Bros all the more likely. 

Honestly I don't think a NSMB game will get the job done; that worked back on DS/Wii when it was the comeback of 2D Mario after years and years of absence, but the series really burned itself out with NSMB2 and NSMBU. A 2D Mario that reinvigorates the series like Botw did for Zelda, however, now that could be huge.

Animal Crossing certainly fits under "casual" game, so that is just more confirmation to me we're definitely getting that in 2018. As far as whatever else that comment is referencing, maybe they are planning some kind of Wii Sports revival. Not sure how well it would work with the joy cons.

LimaBean01 said:
Ljink96 said:
They have to have the software to make those claims. Sure Mario Odyssey and the Holiday will increase demand but they'd have to have more than that to predict such sales. I wonder what they're planning.

Yeah, to me this means they’re extremely confident in the games lineup next year if they are ramping it up that much. Hopefully this puts to rest the fear I previously had that 2018 will be slow for the switch, software-wise

I never thought that 2018 would be slow for Switch. There's 2 games we know are coming in 2018, Kirby and Yoshi but everything else is unknown. And Nintendo has so much to pull from that they could have been working on. Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing Switch, Smash Switch, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Top-Down Zelda, Grezzo's "Legend" game, Tantalus's Port, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Star Fox, Mario Sports, Golden Sun, Wario Ware/Land, etc. Nothing is really off the table at this point and it really helps that talent from Nintendo's handheld and console divisions are all under one roof. So now theoretically software support is doubled and software that didn't appear on Nintendo consoles before can now be on the same device. 

Not to mention the 3rd party support for Nintendo. Bandai Namco's 3 exclusive titles, Octopath Traveler, Dragon Quest XI, Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2, Square Enix's newfound support, probably a new Yokai Watch Switch game that was hinted in the anime, etc. And we're probably scratching the surface here. Not to mention Virtual Console, possibly. 2018 will probably have more games for more audiences than 2017. Keep in mind that Wii U's software towards the end of its life was abysmal when there should have been swan songs for the system. I believe those swan songs were re-purposed into Switch titles and 2018 will see them coming out of the woodwork. 

Nintendo's Switch should have no issue with running out of software until they stop supporting it. It's just getting started imo.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Honestly I don't think a NSMB game will get the job done; that worked back on DS/Wii when it was the comeback of 2D Mario after years and years of absence, but the series really burned itself out with NSMB2 and NSMBU. A 2D Mario that reinvigorates the series like Botw did for Zelda, however, now that could be huge.

How do you really "reinvigorate" 2D Mario at this point though? That's kind of what Mario Maker exists for. 

Maybe they are including Kirby and Yoshi in that casual games comment as well, since they're both 2d platformers

curl-6 said:

Meh, Nintendo needs to find a way to make Mario Maker their minecraft.

People do realize AC is casual, right?

Anticipate this to tie in with their new IP's planned for the future

China!

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000