By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo plans to make 25 million to 30 million Switch game consoles next fiscal year

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:

Well, it looks like the thing is that we have two different definitions of a game being "casual". I get your definition, and I guess youre completely right, if we go by that. The game can still be casual even if its not specifically targeted for them.... that holds some weight I suppose.

Fair enough, but I don't see how there could be any other definition honestly. Call of Duty is called casual.. Those games aren't aimed at literally every demographic in existent but their market cap makes them stand over nearly other triple A game. If casual had to be games that only appealed to demographics in the same way Brian Age or Wii Sports did, there would literally be like 10 home console casual games. 

There might be different "tiers" of a casual game. Maybe a smart phone game is more casual than Mario Kart. I don't think that means Mario Kart isn't casual. By your definition there would be almost no game in existence on current gen consoles that is casual, since it would either have to only appeal to casual-only gamers or it wouldn't have the sales to back it up.

There are quite a few games I would call casual.... tv/movie tie in games (e.g cars 3), Just Dance, Skylanders, most of the lego games, some nintendo games (amiibo festival, wii party U, mario party, 1-2 Switch) and more. Sure these type of games have become a bit sparse compared to last gen, but they are still clearly here.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Probably gearing up that pokemon game for next year

mZuzek said:

Holy crap, that's... plenty.

Edit: which is to say, I doubt they'll sell anywhere near that much. 15, 20 million, maybe. Anything above that is quite unrealistic imo.

People said the same about 14m this fiscal year, also making that much doesn't mean they'll ship that much.

They obviously have a key ip plan for next fiscal year to make that much very likely its Animal Crossing.

flashfire926 said:

Fair enough, but I don't see how there could be any other definition honestly. Call of Duty is called casual.. Those games aren't aimed at literally every demographic in existent but their market cap makes them stand over nearly other triple A game. If casual had to be games that only appealed to demographics in the same way Brian Age or Wii Sports did, there would literally be like 10 home console casual games. 

There might be different "tiers" of a casual game. Maybe a smart phone game is more casual than Mario Kart. I don't think that means Mario Kart isn't casual. By your definition there would be almost no game in existence on current gen consoles that is casual, since it would either have to only appeal to casual-only gamers or it wouldn't have the sales to back it up.

There are quite a few games I would call casual.... tv/movie tie in games (e.g cars 3), Just Dance, Skylanders, most of the lego games, some nintendo games (amiibo festival, wii party U, mario party, 1-2 Switch) and more. Sure these type of games have become a bit sparse compared to last gen, but they are still clearly here.

Meh, semantics shemantics  

They have been making comments about new IP in their financial briefing, so we may see some of that surface. What'll be interesting is whether it's along the lines of Arms or 1-2 Switch, e.g. character-based or a more general attempt at finding an audience. Arms and 1-2 Switch haven't been hugely successful so far, either, so I'm not really sure what they could be planning.

More conventionally, this could be implicit confirmation that Animal Crossing and Pokemon will launch in the next financial year. Important to remember that 25-30 million figure, if accurate, is April 2018 to April 2019, too, and not all of those units will ship in that time-frame.

Around the Network

Buy, buy, buy

Ljink96 said:
They have to have the software to make those claims. Sure Mario Odyssey and the Holiday will increase demand but they'd have to have more than that to predict such sales. I wonder what they're planning.

Pokemon.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

flashfire926 said:

Those aren’t casual games.

The term casual game was coined by Nintendo for Brain Age and specifically refers to games designed to be picked up and played for short periods of time (a few minutes per game session). They’re also designed that when you put it down and come back later there will be new stuff to do, and the hopes are to keep the player engaged over long periods of time. With Brain Age, Nintendo made it a daily thing, but more recent games have made it approximately every 2 to 6 hours, but generally have a daily reward program to encourage players to log in at least once a day.

Casual games are big on mobile, and include games like Clash Of Clans, Clash Royale, and Candy Crush Saga.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 10 November 2017

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pokemon confirmed?

Jumpin said:
flashfire926 said:

Those aren’t casual games.

The term casual game was coined by Nintendo for Brain Age and specifically refers to games designed to be picked up and played for short periods of time (a few minutes per game session). They’re also designed that when you put it down and come back later there will be new stuff to do, and the hopes are to keep the player engaged over long periods of time. With Brain Age, Nintendo made it a daily thing, but more recent games have made it approximately every 2 to 6 hours, but generally have a daily reward program to encourage players to log in at least once a day.

Casual games are big on mobile, and include games like Clash Of Clans, Clash Royale, and Candy Crush Saga.

I only quoted this to let it be known that the term, "casual games" was being used in the 1990's.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000