By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom for Switch Reviews - 78 Metacritic (45 critics)

DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

Was it the same person?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Rab said:

Technically it is also the best version because it can be taken with you and played anywhere 

False.
The PC can be portable on top of having superior visuals, controls and performance.

Alkibiádēs said:

A reviewer can decide for himself if he wants to take the portability into account.

Indeed they can. However, artificially inflating scores because the hardware is portable is biased in my eyes.
Review the game for the games merits, not the hardware it operates on.

Mnementh said:

The situation is comparable to VR. Some games play gorgeous in VR. Others match not that well and have to be changed or restriceted to work with the platform. Same with mobile touchscreen-devices. See, a round-based RPG works pretty well on that, because it allows to access menus which are mostly used for these games. A Jump&Run straight ported works horrible, because you miss the precise input of buttons. And Mario Run is a different game than usual Marios, tailored to the platform.

If Mario Odyssey would be straight ported to phones, it would play horrible and should rightfully be scored lower than the Switch-version. An examples from my experience: I really like Jagged Alliance. It is a great game. The game was later ported to 3DS, but the controls on PC relying on the mouse work horrible on the 3DS. So the 3DS.version should be scored lower.

The difference with your examples is that... The Home Consoles don't have compromised controls in their comparison which directly influences gameplay, mobile devices do.

VR is also an entirely different kettle of fish and requires a much different approach to game development in general.

The Xbox One version also outscores the Playstation 4 version, despite the Playstation 4 version being technically superior in many aspects and that is also silly in my eyes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

Technically it is also the best version because it can be taken with you and played anywhere 

False.
The PC can be portable on top of having superior visuals, controls and performance.

The portability of a Laptop cannot be compared with the portability of a Switch. Not even close.

80 for a game with some drawbacks. What's the issue?

I'm fine with a portable doom at 30 fps. Anyone arguing portability shouldn't affect the score ignore that power and VR are commonly mentioned in reviews.

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

False.

Alkibiádēs said:

A reviewer can decide for himself if he wants to take the portability into account.

Indeed they can. However, artificially inflating scores because the hardware is portable is biased in my eyes.

Mnementh said:

The situation is comparable to VR. Some games play gorgeous in VR. Others match not that well and have to be changed or restriceted to work with the platform. Same with mobile touchscreen-devices. See, a round-based RPG works pretty well on that, because it allows to access menus which are mostly used for these games. A Jump&Run straight ported works horrible, because you miss the precise input of buttons. And Mario Run is a different game than usual Marios, tailored to the platform.

If Mario Odyssey would be straight ported to phones, it would play horrible and should rightfully be scored lower than the Switch-version. An examples from my experience: I really like Jagged Alliance. It is a great game. The game was later ported to 3DS, but the controls on PC relying on the mouse work horrible on the 3DS. So the 3DS.version should be scored lower.

The difference with your examples is that... The Home Consoles don't have compromised controls in their comparison which directly influences gameplay, mobile devices do.

VR is also an entirely different kettle of fish and requires a much different approach to game development in general.

The Xbox One version also outscores the Playstation 4 version, despite the Playstation 4 version being technically superior in many aspects and that is also silly in my eyes.

1. A PC for >$1000 that has a battery rate of 3 hours, is usually huge, and weighs several pounds

2. A hybrid for $300 which has some compromises, but weighs a pound and is 6.3 inches

Compromises either way, but it's clear which one is more portable

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

Welcome to the group that considers reviewers to be completely unnecessary and unprofessional.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

the platform per see shouldn't affect the score at all.

Well, it does. The same game can be rated differently depending on platform. It is about feels. A game can play to the strengths of a platform and feel much better than on another where it doesn't match that well. For instance different games can work differently on VR than on console/PC. For instance may a fast game be working bad on VR, but a slower game might be impressive.

Some games will be better played on VR, others will be the same (or the fact that PSVR makes the game show as in a 300" TV demands an increase on the score?). The simple fact that a PC game is mostly played on a monitor, a console on a big TV and a handheld on a small screen doesn't change the game alone. The only instance where that should be relevant is when the game depends on the portability to work or improve, like geolocation, social factors, etc. In this case the game just downgrade from being portable.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Me? Nope, I do wish the game do well. I'm just curious on if we will consider the sales, good or bad are on the merit of the game and userbase and not based on excuses.

I think being a late port impacts the sales more than scores or graphics or whatever. Given, some late ports on Switch did better than on their earlier platforms. But not all. I personally think Skyrim might resonate better with Switch-userbase than Doom. So let's see, the two games have on PS4 (as point of reference): 2.7M for Skyrim and 2.2M for Doom. So let's say 20% for Doom and 40% for Skyrim would put my hopeful expectations on Switch at a little above 1M for Skyrim and at 450K for Doom. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe too low, I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim does better relatively.

Several PS3 games that came 1 year after X360 sold better, so what is your point on it?

Well 500k for Doom and 1M for Skyrim would probably mean good profits so that would push more support.

Rab said:
Pemalite said:

It goes without saying that someone who has bought the switch did so because the hybrid form factor appealed to them.
A games scores shouldn't be artificially inflated because of the hardware it runs on.

The game should be judged on it's own merits, not the platforms merits.
Which is why if the Switch version matches/exceeds the other platforms scores, then the reviewers are obviously biased... As technically, the Switch version is the worst version of the game due to lower quality assets, performance and resolution.

Technically it have everything worse than ALL other platforms, but can be taken with you... Notebook and PSVR connection can also do it without being that lowered.

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

False.

Alkibiádēs said:

Mnementh said:

X1 deserves 2 points more than PS4 because the controller of X1 makes the game better in case you don't know... and is better than the PC version even if you can choose between X1 control or KB+M because the higher framerate, textures and resolution are distractful (sarcasm).

monocle_layton said:
Pemalite said:

False.

1. A PC for >$1000 that has a battery rate of 3 hours, is usually huge, and weighs several pounds

2. A hybrid for $300 which has some compromises, but weighs a pound and is 6.3 inches

So the score of the game should be based on the price of the machine?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

False.

Alkibiádēs said:

Mnementh said:

Home console have often inferior inputs compared to PC. It is usually not a problem with todays games as they are tailored with console in mind, but try the original Starcraft or games like this that heavily rely on mouse on console.

VR is different, as handheld is different as mobile touchscreen-devices are different.

I agree that XB1 and PS4 versions are similar enough that the scores shouldn't show much differences. But that doesn't mean a platform with inherent differences like the Switch can't improve or deteriorate the experience. It fully depends on the game though, which effect the platform has.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 10 November 2017

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Well, it does. The same game can be rated differently depending on platform. It is about feels. A game can play to the strengths of a platform and feel much better than on another where it doesn't match that well. For instance different games can work differently on VR than on console/PC. For instance may a fast game be working bad on VR, but a slower game might be impressive.

Some games will be better played on VR, others will be the same (or the fact that PSVR makes the game show as in a 300" TV demands an increase on the score?). The simple fact that a PC game is mostly played on a monitor, a console on a big TV and a handheld on a small screen doesn't change the game alone. The only instance where that should be relevant is when the game depends on the portability to work or improve, like geolocation, social factors, etc. In this case the game just downgrade from being portable.

Mnementh said:

I think being a late port impacts the sales more than scores or graphics or whatever. Given, some late ports on Switch did better than on their earlier platforms. But not all. I personally think Skyrim might resonate better with Switch-userbase than Doom. So let's see, the two games have on PS4 (as point of reference): 2.7M for Skyrim and 2.2M for Doom. So let's say 20% for Doom and 40% for Skyrim would put my hopeful expectations on Switch at a little above 1M for Skyrim and at 450K for Doom. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe too low, I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim does better relatively.

Several PS3 games that came 1 year after X360 sold better, so what is your point on it?

Well 500k for Doom and 1M for Skyrim would probably mean good profits so that would push more support.

You outright say we ignore factors like control-scheme? As I said as example: I really like Jagged alliance, but I despise the 3DS-port, as the controls work horrible. You say it should be ignored, as the game stays the same. The fact that 3DS doesn't use a mouse shouldn't impact the score of the game. Well, I disagree heavily.

That some PS3 late ports sold better than on X360 shows the selling power of the PS3. Some late ports on Switch also sold better than on any other platforms. But the general rule of thumb is: late ports sell worse. That the trend was in some cases reversed shows, that other factors played a big role.

Does that mean you expect sales better than on other platforms for Doom and Skyrim on Switch? But then you say my expectations already would mean financial success, so I'm confused what your point is here.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DonFerrari said:
DialgaMarine said:

Welcome to the group that considers reviewers to be completely unnecessary and unprofessional.

Mnementh said:

Mnementh said:

Rab said:

Technically it have everything worse than ALL other platforms, but can be taken with you... Notebook and PSVR connection can also do it without being that lowered.

Pemalite said:

False.

X1 deserves 2 points more than PS4 because the controller of X1 makes the game better in case you don't know... and is better than the PC version even if you can choose between X1 control or KB+M because the higher framerate, textures and resolution are distractful (sarcasm).

monocle_layton said:

So the score of the game should be based on the price of the machine?

What? I never said that.

The Switch is portable, and plays a very good game with obvious compromises. What exactly is the issue? Resident Evil will obviously get a higher score on a ps4 or xbox one compared to a fucking ds. It's also why Skyrim VR might score higher than Skyrim

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

That doesn't hurt anything, the buttom layout is the same, you just gotta get used to it. Its also bettert to play Breath of The Wild (and most Switch games) with the pro controller, that doesn't mean the joycons hurt their portable aspect.

Me: It kinda hurts the portable aspect of the game.

You: That doesn't hurt anything.

Can you not see how you are incorrect? Also, changing my argument is not something I generally stand to endure (I normally do not reply) so please try to stay with my argument. If I say the joycon hurt the portable aspect of the game, do you somehow think you are going to change that by saying, "you have to get used to it"? Maybe me and the people that tried it with me (including the guy that actually bought the title) all agree that playing with the joycon in handheld mode was an unpleasant experience. The merit of the joycon is not based on the merit of the pro controller. That is a mistake I hope you do not make again in the future. I would complain about the joycon for FPS titles (after playing DOOM) regardless of a Pro controller existing or not. Fortunately, a pro controller does exist and that means there is a method of play that places emphasis on the weakness of the joycon and makes playing in handheld mode a far less enjoyable experience. That fact hurts the overall portable aspect of the game.

Wtf is this bullshit?

Add the word opinion to it and leave it at that. Saying he is incorrect is very ignorant and short sighted because you seem to think your opinion is fact that everyone should accept.

There will be just as many people who will say they find the controls natural as those who say it is unnatural and ruins the experience. 

Hell the first time I picked up an XBOX controller i thought it was weird but heck I got used to it and it felt natural after.