By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom for Switch Reviews - 78 Metacritic (45 critics)

DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

The only thing sickening is that someone at IGN only gave Doom a 7.1/10.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Whenever writing a review you need to consider the platform it was made on. You don't give all 3DS games a 6/10 because the graphics and resolution are from two generations ago.

The difference is that 3DS games are specifically designed for that platform, because they have to be.
Doom on Switch is an outright port of the same game from PS4/Xbone, so it has to be judged on how it performs in comparison. This is both the upside and the downside of Switch being a hybrid.

The added value of portability is something for the consumers to decide, not reviewers, since it's going to be completely subjective to everyone's needs/playstyles.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

The added value of portability is something for the consumers to decide, not reviewers, since it's going to be completely subjective to everyone's needs/playstyles.

Well, reviews are subjective to begin with. I think it is fair to include portability (and seemingly most reviewers did). But some games work betetr on a portable platform than others. I think Doom probably works not as well, but I'll try today evening if I unwrap my copy. But I can't think a fast game like Doom is the best game to play while you have at least notice your surroundings. On the other hand, even be able to play it for instance in the hotel is a Pro for me. On the other hand a fast game like Doom probably is a bit hurt by the loss of framerate.

So in conclusion: a game like Doom probably doesn't profit as much from portability but hurts more by the loss of frames than other games (including in my opinion Skyrim). So I think it is fair it loses some points in the reviews.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Goodnightmoon said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

To add to this (I just tried the game) even though the game is portable, the joycon are not ideal for playing the game which kind of hurts the portable aspect of the game. I mean, it is playable but it certainly is much better and more fun to play using a pro controller.

That doesn't hurt anything, the buttom layout is the same, you just gotta get used to it. Its also bettert to play Breath of The Wild (and most Switch games) with the pro controller, that doesn't mean the joycons hurt their portable aspect.

Me: It kinda hurts the portable aspect of the game.

You: That doesn't hurt anything.

Can you not see how you are incorrect? Also, changing my argument is not something I generally stand to endure (I normally do not reply) so please try to stay with my argument. If I say the joycon hurt the portable aspect of the game, do you somehow think you are going to change that by saying, "you have to get used to it"? Maybe me and the people that tried it with me (including the guy that actually bought the title) all agree that playing with the joycon in handheld mode was an unpleasant experience. The merit of the joycon is not based on the merit of the pro controller. That is a mistake I hope you do not make again in the future. I would complain about the joycon for FPS titles (after playing DOOM) regardless of a Pro controller existing or not. Fortunately, a pro controller does exist and that means there is a method of play that places emphasis on the weakness of the joycon and makes playing in handheld mode a far less enjoyable experience. That fact hurts the overall portable aspect of the game.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Shaunodon said:

It goes without saying that someone who has bought the switch did so because the hybrid form factor appealed to them.
A games scores shouldn't be artificially inflated because of the hardware it runs on.

The game should be judged on it's own merits, not the platforms merits.
Which is why if the Switch version matches/exceeds the other platforms scores, then the reviewers are obviously biased... As technically, the Switch version is the worst version of the game due to lower quality assets, performance and resolution.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Shaunodon said:

It goes without saying that someone who has bought the switch did so because the hybrid form factor appealed to them.
A games scores shouldn't be artificially inflated because of the hardware it runs on.

Which is why if the Switch version matches/exceeds the other platforms scores, then the reviewers are obviously biased... As technically, the Switch version is the worst version of the game due to lower quality assets, performance and resolution.

Technically it is also the best version because it can be taken with you and played anywhere 

Last edited by Rab - on 10 November 2017

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Shaunodon said:

A reviewer can decide for himself if he wants to take the portability into account.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

That doesn't hurt anything, the buttom layout is the same, you just gotta get used to it. Its also bettert to play Breath of The Wild (and most Switch games) with the pro controller, that doesn't mean the joycons hurt their portable aspect.

Me: It kinda hurts the portable aspect of the game.

You: That doesn't hurt anything.

Can you not see how you are incorrect? Also, changing my argument is not something I generally stand to endure (I normally do not reply) so please try to stay with my argument. If I say the joycon hurt the portable aspect of the game, do you somehow think you are going to change that by saying, "you have to get used to it"? Maybe me and the people that tried it with me (including the guy that actually bought the title) all agree that playing with the joycon in handheld mode was an unpleasant experience. The merit of the joycon is not based on the merit of the pro controller. That is a mistake I hope you do not make again in the future. I would complain about the joycon for FPS titles (after playing DOOM) regardless of a Pro controller existing or not. Fortunately, a pro controller does exist and that means there is a method of play that places emphasis on the weakness of the joycon and makes playing in handheld mode a far less enjoyable experience. That fact hurts the overall portable aspect of the game.

Do you really feel like playing in portable mode is that bad? I mean, I've played DOOM like two hours straight that way and it felt pretty natural. I've also played it with the Joycon grip on TV and with one Joycon in both hands... and it feels the exact same.

I think some of you REALLY overestimate the Pro Controller. Playing with that or the Joycons in any of it's forms (except with just one Joycon) feels like the same thing to me. The only situation where the Pro is  objectively better is when you're playing something that needs a D-Pad.

I know that everyone has different tastes and opinions... but on this subject it's really hard for me to understand the complaints on the Joycons...

That´s a great score. I think nobody was expecting this to get the same scores of the home console versions.

Pemalite said:
Shaunodon said:

I agree with the bolded and disagree with the underlined. The point here is: games are different and match differently to the platforms specifics. A game that matches well with the platform is overall more enjoyable and should for that get better scores on that platform. If it don't matches well - well then it should be scored lower.

The situation is comparable to VR. Some games play gorgeous in VR. Others match not that well and have to be changed or restriceted to work with the platform. Same with mobile touchscreen-devices. See, a round-based RPG works pretty well on that, because it allows to access menus which are mostly used for these games. A Jump&Run straight ported works horrible, because you miss the precise input of buttons. And Mario Run is a different game than usual Marios, tailored to the platform.

If Mario Odyssey would be straight ported to phones, it would play horrible and should rightfully be scored lower than the Switch-version. An examples from my experience: I really like Jagged Alliance. It is a great game. The game was later ported to 3DS, but the controls on PC relying on the mouse work horrible on the 3DS. So the 3DS.version should be scored lower.

In the case of Doom I think Doom is not the best game working with portable. It works, but not so well. I'll probably play it mostly docked. So the portable advantage for the game is reduced. The fast gameplay profit from higher framerates. So I think it is alright Doom loses some points on Switch.

This might be different for other games, including that a straight port is scored higher on Switch, simply because portability adds greatly to the experience. But this depends strongly on the game in question. So yes, the platform influences the experience and SHOULD influence the scores.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

IGN is a group of people who review games not a single entity. Differant people, differant scores