By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom for Switch Reviews - 78 Metacritic (45 critics)

DonFerrari said:
Shaunodon said:

You're really sweating on this game doing poorly.
Setting yourself up for a fall.

Me? Nope, I do wish the game do well. I'm just curious on if we will consider the sales, good or bad are on the merit of the game and userbase and not based on excuses.

I think being a late port impacts the sales more than scores or graphics or whatever. Given, some late ports on Switch did better than on their earlier platforms. But not all. I personally think Skyrim might resonate better with Switch-userbase than Doom. So let's see, the two games have on PS4 (as point of reference): 2.7M for Skyrim and 2.2M for Doom. So let's say 20% for Doom and 40% for Skyrim would put my hopeful expectations on Switch at a little above 1M for Skyrim and at 450K for Doom. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe too low, I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim does better relatively.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Mnementh said:

Late port on a handheld platform with weaker power - yes it was to expect reviews would go this way.

Handheld games usually get set to lower bar, like how 3DS games get review scores on power with current AAA games. I suppose now that handheld games are getting to a point where they are almost on par with home consoles, that bar is just getting higher.

If the handheld-game is reviewed on itself, the graphic bar is not put that high. But Doom released on home console platforms and it did so before the Switch release. So comparisons are inevitable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

andisart said:
Zekkyou said:

Most of the reviews (at least those in English that i can check) do appear to consider portability a plus, some of them just consider the visual and frame-rate compromises to be a bigger negative. 30fps in particular in an understandable sticking point for a twitch shooter like DOOM. Some will share those grievances, others won't.

Ok fair enough but I still don't think this has translated into the scoring properly.

Portability as plus alone should've put Switch version above other platforms, minus the visual reductions should give a more leveled score

than this. 

How things factor in is dependent on the game in question. For Doom as a fast shooter I understand the importance of the frame-rate. I think the Skyrim-scores will be more in line with other platforms.

The Xbox One is 87.
Playstation 4 is 85.
PC is 85.

Switch is currently 80.

Interested to see if it gets higher as it is technically the worst version of the game. (The Xbox One should be below the Playstation 4 and PC as well for that very same reason.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Cerebralbore101 said:
Whenever writing a review you need to consider the platform it was made on. You don't give all 3DS games a 6/10 because the graphics and resolution are from two generations ago.

I don't think it is that easy. It strongly depends on the game. I personally think that MonHun 3G is better on WiiU than on 3DS, although portability and Streetpass are cool for that game. But in the game you look at things (not only monsters, also harvestable spots) from some distance, and the smaller resolution really hurts. I made an arena fight, where I could in the beginning just hear the monster but not see it, until I spotted the two moving pixels. That's just not cool.

For other games the lost resolution doesn't matter that much. So it really depends on the game.

Also, a real-time action-gameplay like MonHun and also Doom is hurting portability anyways. I can play it in a hotel room or so, but on a train where I have to look for the right exit it is probably a bit hurting. Zelda has slower gameplay and as long as I'm not in a bigger fight I can sense my surroundings still. For MonHun I have at least the time at the village organizing my stuff, which allows to take in my surroundings. I doubt Doom gives me much such moments. So probably it works less well portable. I still like I can play stuff on vacations or travel if I'm in my bed. I just can't take my WiiU with me, but I can do so with the Switch.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

LOL, half the thread is whining the game gets lower scores on Switch, you whine because one reviewer gives a higher score.

Reviews are subjective, and Switch-version has clearly downsides and clearly upsides too it. It may be very strongly a thing of personal tastes, which ones are more important for you.

DialgaMarine said:
The IGN review is sickening. They gave the Switch version a 8.5 vs the 7.1 the game got on other platforms, despite the significantly lower resolution, the many missing graphical effects, half the frame rate at best, and less content. Yeah, it’s Impressive it’s even running on a portable, and really speaks to how far portable gaming has come, but the bias in some of these reviews is utter crap. Really goes to show that either Nintendo just kindof gets a pass, or these reviewers actually are getting paid to push a pro-Switch agenda to convince multiplat gamers to buy a Switch.

To add to this (I just tried the game) even though the game is portable, the joycon are not ideal for playing the game which kind of hurts the portable aspect of the game. I mean, it is playable but it certainly is much better and more fun to play using a pro controller.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

Me? Nope, I do wish the game do well. I'm just curious on if we will consider the sales, good or bad are on the merit of the game and userbase and not based on excuses.

I think being a late port impacts the sales more than scores or graphics or whatever. Given, some late ports on Switch did better than on their earlier platforms. But not all. I personally think Skyrim might resonate better with Switch-userbase than Doom. So let's see, the two games have on PS4 (as point of reference): 2.7M for Skyrim and 2.2M for Doom. So let's say 20% for Doom and 40% for Skyrim would put my hopeful expectations on Switch at a little above 1M for Skyrim and at 450K for Doom. Maybe my expectations are too high, maybe too low, I don't really know, but I'm pretty sure Skyrim does better relatively.

Skyrim will 100% sell better than Doom on Switch, a couple of days ago on the UK eshop Skryim was already in the top selling downloads charts, even though it doesnt release for a week, yet Doom was only a couple of days from release and wasnt in the top 20. That's a pretty good indicator.

Good score. I honestly feel like when a game is a late port/remaster/etc, it is bound to get a lower score.

Lets use Skyrim Special Edition as an example. Enhanced visuals, shorter loading times, and mods make the special edition objectively a better game than the original, yet the score is significantly lower.

To be fair, Doom is a game best played at 60fps. Even though 30fps is by no means a dealbreaker, its still a somewhat of a drawback.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
DialgaMarine said:

To add to this (I just tried the game) even though the game is portable, the joycon are not ideal for playing the game which kind of hurts the portable aspect of the game. I mean, it is playable but it certainly is much better and more fun to play using a pro controller.

That doesn't hurt anything, the buttom layout is the same, you just gotta get used to it. Its also bettert to play Breath of The Wild (and most Switch games) with the pro controller, that doesn't mean the joycons hurt their portable aspect.