By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rating Nintendo 2017 - Console Games and Releases

2017 Rating

10 125 53.42%

9 65 27.78%

8 17 7.26%

7 10 4.27%

6 1 0.43%

5 1 0.43%

4 0 0%

3 2 0.85%

2 4 1.71%

Need to wait for December 9 3.85%

Total:234

Probably a 9/10 from me. Nintendo has laid the groundwork for an excellent future with the Switch with some genuinely excellent games. If they continue on a similar trajectory and gain some strong 3rd party support I can see this trend continuing for quite a long time. The console's only real downfalls at the moment are relatively sparse 3rd party support and lack of some features coming at a later date. However, these are all things that can be remedied with time, and don't hurt the console that much at the moment. It's been a great first year for the Switch, no doubt.

Around the Network

Why can't we give a 1 or a 0 in the poll?

I think its hard to argue not giving Nintendo an 8, 9, or a 10. I'd personally give them a 10. With so much against them and some people questioning on whether this would be the last hurrah for Nintendo and whether its time to go third party, things have been falling in place quite well for them this year.

The Switch is doing wonders for their business and there seems to be no signs of slowing down heading to the holiday season. The presentation, while not perfect, did a great job on showing what the console could do and the games it will release. Zelda Breath of the Wild was, and still is, a well-discussed game that has garnered incredible praise, being the launch game the Switch needed. ARMS is a solid new IP from the Mario Kart team and I hope the new content will help its prestige over time, especially once EVO Japan hits. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the best version of the original and continued the momentum after Zelda. Splatoon 2, despite questions of its legitimacy as a sequel, showed that the Splatoon mania in Japan is still kicking, even matching up to the sales of the PS4 version of DQXI, which is a big thing in Japan. Then you got solid offerings like Pokken, Fire Emblem Warriors, and the surprise hit Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Indies and other multiplatform games have filled up the Switch library well until Super Mario Odyssey was able to help the Switch take off once more. With Xenoblade Chronicles 2, along with DOOM, Skyrim, Rocket League, and LA Noire, filling out the rest of the year, the Switch's first year lineup of games is arguably among the all-time greats. There's more room to improve and I cannot wait to see what's next in 2018 and beyond.

The 3DS is still persevering despite being in its 6th year on the market. Though its not getting the attention from the first party studios as years past, its still getting quality content to fill its already massive library. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia and Metroid Samus Returns were well-received remakes/reimagings of black-sheep games of their respective franchises, Etrian Odyssey V, SMT Strange Journey, and Radiant Historia showed the continued support from Atlus, Lady Layton was a solid sequel/spin-off of the Layton series, and Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon appear to be more than meets the eye and could be great send-offs for the Pokémon 3DS games (and proving Joe Merrick of Serebii right on the pattern of how news of third versions are handled and how these particular versions are probably greater than the usual third version). Not to mention Hey! Pikmin, Ever Oasis, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, and Mario Party Top 100. This might be the last great year of an incredible handheld.

Mobile has been pretty good for Nintendo as well. While Mario Run hasn't gained the profits, its still being downloaded by the millions. Fire Emblem Heroes is a surprisingly fun and addictive gacha game. Plus, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp is coming this month and has some potential.

The SNES Classic was a highly anticipated collector's item. Despite the history of the NES Classic, the skepticism of SNES Classic stock, and the craziness behind the preorders, the SNES Classic appears to be getting better stock and appears to have sold more than the NES Classic in its debut. Plus, it was nice that Nintendo was able to release Star Fox 2 after all these years. Hopefully more people can get the collector's item.

So overall, Nintendo has provided a lot of content from a variety of platforms. Both in quantity and quality. Nintendo couldn't have asked for a better year to really set the tone for their present and future.

I gave it a 9.

Switch is amazing. Only thing I wish it did better a were a bit more battery, bigger disk space, and much better online. But I guess you can't have everything, though the online right now is a serious misstep. Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario. All fantastic. Great lineup of indie/cheap games (love me some Mr. Shifty, Fast RMX, Vulgar the Viking, and Axiom Verge). Price was perfect. Stock issues were bad. Needs more big third party games, though at least starting to pick up older ports of big games and some sports games.

3DS continues to have some life left in it despite the launch and success of the Switch. The new 2DS looks real nice and is a nice final product in that family.

SNES classic looks awesome, but stock issues againnnnnn!! Though at least they're making a lot more than the NES Classic total screw up. Hopefully I'll find a SNES Classic at some point.

Overall I think an 8 or 9 is a valid score, given stock problems, they couldn't get at least one AAA not old third party game in 2017, and still crappy Nintendo online experience. While the things they did right were a SNES Classic, near-perfect system Switch, Zelda and Mario both being GOTY quality and reinvigorating those franchises, and solid indie support.

Year ain't over yet! In the unlikely event that XC2 ends up sucking I'd have to give them an 8/10.

Around the Network

That would be a 10. They killed it this year. Breath Of The Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids(with Ubisoft) and Metroid: Samus Returns were all amazing. XBC2 also looks to be great.

Although I'm not a fan of Splatoon 2, it seems to be a quality title.

Also MK8DX is fun.

I'll tell you when Xenoblade 2 releases.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Flilix said:

Not enough poll options :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Flilix said:

You should have left out 4, 5 and 6, these are just boring middle ground options.

Flilix said:
Platina said:

You should have left out 4, 5 and 6, these are just boring middle ground options.

But I still need to keep the more objective numbers in :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]