By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rating Nintendo 2017 - Console Games and Releases

2017 Rating

10 125 53.42%

9 65 27.78%

8 17 7.26%

7 10 4.27%

6 1 0.43%

5 1 0.43%

4 0 0%

3 2 0.85%

2 4 1.71%

Need to wait for December 9 3.85%

Total:234

Easy 10/10 for me, how can it be anything less when 2 of the best games of all time arrive on the system within the first 8 months. There's mixed reaction, but I think ARMS is an incredible game with a lot of strategy and depth, a perfect competitive fighter which is also accessable to more casual players. Port or not, Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart out there and now with a proper battle mode. Mario Rabbids is one of the surprise hits of the year, a great tactical turn based shooter with highly polished visuals and production values. Indie support is getting stronger as is Third party support....oh and a little game called Xenoblade 2 is just around the corner.

Around the Network

10/10

Probably the best year in Nintendo history. We got Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Pokken Tournament DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and tons of indies.

dont have a switch yet, dont think there are enough games yet but nintendo has done all they can they have delivered the hardware and the games.

If I didn't already own zelda and mario kart, which many didn't I would have picked one up.

If Shadow of War or Assassins Creed made it onto the switch I would have one in my pocket already :P

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Tbh 2017 is probably their best year alongside 2010 and 1998 in the modern era.

twintail said:
As long as AC and Pokémon come, the switch will do fine. Especially since it will replace the 3DS regardless of what Nintendo will have you believe.

What does that supposed to mean?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
twintail said:
As long as AC and Pokémon come, the switch will do fine. Especially since it will replace the 3DS regardless of what Nintendo will have you believe.

They are going to replace a device of theirs from 2011? No way.

I'd say 7/10. Promising, but lacks a lot of the big multiplatform releases from this year. If it had all those, or if it pretty much monopolized GOTY contenders as exclusives, I'd give it a 10.  Now don't get me wrong.  The system's definitely not a dust collector for me at least.  However, for those interested in the typical popular games like COD, Madden, AC, etc., you're still out of luck for now.

In comparison, I'd give PS4 a 9/10 for having all those multiplats, mostly good exclusives and its own GOTY contender (though Nintendo beats them in that area), and Xbox a 5/10, because Cuphead alone can''t save their lineup with inferior multiplats and fuckall in terms of other exclusives.

Last edited by Zach808 - on 05 November 2017

10/10

It's undeniable that this was Nintendo's year. They have:

- Released a successful new console (outside of holiday season).
- They have rebranded themselves to a certain extent.
- They have upped and refocused their marketing strategy.
- Released many good games for their new console within the first year of release.
- Released two of the most highly rated and acclaimed titles within one year.
- The SNES classic.
- Arguably won E3.
- Continued support for their aging portable system, the 3DS.
- The 2DS XL.
- Good placement in the mobile market.
- Very good financial results.
- Stock is up to 2008/2009 levels.

All in all, it is all those thing together that makes it a nice turnaround from previous years. They have made a very successful comeback. I think 2018 will be another good (maybe dominating) year, regardless of what some Playstation diehards say.

This first year has been a wonderful one in general. They have most of their biggest games out already without having yet unleashed all of their major first party titles. And this will attract a decent amount of 3rd party titles (why did some japanese ones think that a successor of a Nintendo handheld would sell slowly is beyond me, uh, Capcom?), and even some surprises from western studios.

And yet, I'm not tha impressed by the main software itself. Out of the three Nintendo games I own for the Switch, the best one is definitively Splatoon 2, which is a nice surprise. BotW went from amazing to underwhelming after the 50h mark rather fast, and Mario Odyssey is just massive, so I doubt I'll ever finish it (plus problems with the camera, I may have to make a thread about this later).

Going back to the 3DS was weird, I'm too used to the big screen now, compared to the small 3DS screen. At least they'll keep the system going for a while, even if they focus all of their devs on the Switch.

Right now, I'm waiting to see how they implement their online fees and more news of software. I think I have everything I could want either released already or in close proximity.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't really think it's possible to do it better with a new console. Nintendo alone pushed hardware and software to new heights after the WiiU collapse, and in a single year they made BOTW and SMO which are probably the best games in my most beloved franchises. 10/10.