By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Catalonia declares independence. Puigdemont free to roam Belgium.

Who do you support?

Spain 139 59.40%

Catalonia 95 40.60%

Total:234
Tryklon said:
vivster said:

Yes and for those people honor and pride is not only above money but also above other people's lives. Where is the honor in destroying whole countries? Honor and heritage is fucking bullshit. It leads to fucking nationalism and that has never helped anyone.

They might as well go to war then if honor is that important to them. They have the right to throw away their own lives and not everyone elses.

Honor and pride is the worst thing to base decisions on because it's the most removed from rational thought.

There is where democracy enters. Let them vote for their independence. People should have the right to choose, but they simply won't allow it... guess why!

It's a nation of cowards if you ask me, from the times when they butchered entire nations of natives in South America to steal their gold, to this day...

I'm sorry, but I simply HATE this kind of anti democratic behaviour. Once again I extend my congratulations to the UK, who let their people vote in Scotland, where the union won, and the Brexit, where the Exit option won. 

THE PEOPLE SHOULD ALWAYS BE ABLE TO CHOOSE THEIR DESTINY!

Their also the reason america is as it is today,..... because christopher columbus sailed for the spanish.

They brought back the tomato & potato, and ended hunger & starvation issues europe had.

Common that picture you paint isnt the entire story.

Around the Network
poklane said:

International recognition seems to be going well

Red = states not recognizing Catalonia is independent, instead recognizing it as part of Spain
Green = states recognizing Catalonia as independent

It might look bad now but we're still waiting on North Korea and Venezuela, surely they can turn this around!

and I declare myself emperor of the galaxy :P

I'm I the only one who thinks this is all about money? I mean it's not like Catalans are having a bad time in Spain and EU for instance, so why all the fuss? Their region is small, yet the richest in Spain and they just wanna keep it for themselves.

Scotland kinda supports it because they are on the diverge, the EU and US are right not to do so, there is law apart from democracy, and I don't think the rest of Spain people support the idea. It is different from Scotland, we are talking about a semi-autonomous but fully integrated region trying to totally break free, it's just not possible.

They should have fought for more autonomy instead... but now it's too bad

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I'm I the only one who thinks this is all about money? I mean it's not like Catalans are having a bad time in Spain and EU for instance, so why all the fuss? Their region is small, yet the richest in Spain and they just wanna keep it for themselves.

Scotland kinda supports it because they are on the diverge, the EU and US are right not to do so, there is law apart from democracy, and I don't think the rest of Spain people support the idea. It is different from Scotland, we are talking about a semi-autonomous but fully integrated region trying to totally break free, it's just not possible.

They are only the 4th richest actually.
Community of Madrid, Basque Country and Navarre are leading in GDP per capita.

Barozi said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

They are only the 4th richest actually.
Community of Madrid, Basque Country and Navarre are leading in GDP per capita.

But they are the 1st (almost tied with Madrid) out of the 17 when it comes to nominal GDP.

So they have the 1st biggest nominal GDP inside a country that has the 14º biggest GDP in the world. They are doing great, only reason Basque Country and Navarra has better GPD per capita is the special privileged economic status that Spain gave them (the CUPO), this status would be very difficult for the state to be applied in Catalonia though.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 28 October 2017

Around the Network
vivster said:
sc94597 said:

Catalonian independence is a much older thing than the current wave of populism. The pro-independence Catalonians would probably like to be part of the EU as an independent state if it were possible. 

They are part of the EU right now. What is their fucking problem?

Ignorance and nationalism is the problem they have. They fundamentally don't understand the world as it is in the 21st century.

To make a long story short: The regional government of Catalonia is pretty much lying, brainwashing and fueling the people into believing that they are prisoners lacking freedom if they are part of Spain and that they would be free if the region was independent. From the regional government's point of view it makes sense because independence means they become a fully fledged government with ALL the powers any other country has. So they stand to win a lot in case of independence.

As for the people it's a different story, they would not be any more free in an independent Catalonia than they are as being part of Spain. It's actually the other way around, they would lose freedom as an independent country. First lost freedom is the right to move around in Spain freely as the Spanish citizens that they are now. They'd need a passport to move around. Second lost freedom is the right to freely move around in Europe as they would immediately be outside the EU. Their economy will most certainly suffer a lot as already many big companies are moving out of Catalonia in fear of their independence. And neither Spain nor the EU would want to make it easy for them and as a country outside the EU, the EU or Spain have NO obligation to care for Catalunia or make it easy in any way for them or help them.

So yeah, if isolation is what those ignorant separatists call "freedom" then yeah, they'll be very free outside of Spain.

Luckily for all the Catalans who whish to stay in Spain and the EU, I don't see how Catalonia could actually become independent. Spain won't allow the country to be broken up by ignorance... hopefully.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 28 October 2017

poklane said:

Red = states not recognizing Catalonia is independent, instead recognizing it as part of Spain

I heard Scotland and Venezuela recognised it. Guess it was a joke. :P

No one recognised Kosovo at the start either. It is stupid though. When it becomes a blood bath i'm blaming the EU countries for having been passive to it rather than protect the will of the people.

This is so stupid because so many countries began like this. This is the countries saying they hope Spain solves the problem peacefully. Once they don't there will be interventions.

Portugal, the Netherland and Belgium would still be a part of Spain if their constituion was what mattered. The hypocrisy is strong.

Errorist76 said:
Nem said:
I expect the EU to support a clear display of freedom of choice.

The Spanish constitution was obviously dictatorial in this aspect.

Effin castellans better stop the abuse. Learn that people don't want to be forced into your phony union.

You honestly believe Catalonia doesn't want to be part of the EU?! The only thing they want is not needing to help out the rest of the poorer country.

Oh didn't say anything of the sort. Wether they join the EU or not is irrelevant.

The EU is the power body of europe. A union based on democracy and freedom for europe. If this becomes a bloodbath, in the heart of europe, the EU is confirmed as a sham for letting it happen.

I'm in favor of the EU. I want it to work. But if the people in it's heart cannot count with it's protection, what good is it? It's not much of a union.

Like Spain, wich despite what castellans will tell you isn't a union. It's a collection of kingdoms conquered through intimidation and mariage. It's people never had a vote in the matter. Nowadays, this is catching up to them and the castellans, used to intimidating the others will never give it up. This will become a bloodbath. I am convinced of that. It's how they always did things.

And btw not wanting to sustain other countries/peoples is the right of the catalunyans. You can't force them to stay in a forced union they don't want to be a part of.  That isn't how true unions work. Just like the EU can't force the UK to stay, Spain shouldn't be able to force Catalunya to stay.

Errorist76 said:
Nem said:

That is clearly dictatorial behaviour.

It's irrelevant what they want. What is relevant is what catalunyans want.

They acted against the law and constitution. A large part of Catalonians doesn't even support the cause.

I don't support the draconian measures the spanish government is taking, they will only reach the opposite that way, but it is not that easy to just grant a part of Catalans a "fake" independence that has been reached on an unofficial way. Both parties act highly unreasonably in the cause.

You're gonna have to give proof to that cause we all saw rivers of people on the streets of Barcelona. The spanish central government made sure they couldn't realise a referendum either. Actually, given the vote won in their parlament, it is very legitimate of the will of the majority.

Theres intimidation, wich is the way spain always worked and will always lead to trouble. Spain is not a union, and more will suceed after catalunya does. This day and age it's not what an old king wanted, it's what the people want.

And btw the spanish constitution doesn't give them a chance to have a referendum. They honestly had no choice here when the central government tried to force them out. They have even already threatened the guy that proclaimed independence with 30 years of prison and treason. Sure, that's gonna end in a peaceful result.

And btw, if this was only about paying bills, they would'nt be nuking their economy like this. At the end of the day this will cost Spain more. So, might aswell let them go.

Last edited by Nem - on 28 October 2017

Nem said:

Errorist76 said:

You honestly believe Catalonia doesn't want to be part of the EU?! The only thing they want is not needing to help out the rest of the poorer country.

Oh didn't say anything of the sort. Wether they join the EU or not is irrelevant.

The EU is the power body of europe. A union based on democracy and freedom for europe. If this becomes a bloodbath, in the heart of europe, the EU is confirmed as a sham for letting it happen.

I'm in favor of the EU. I want it to work. But if the people in it's heart cannot count with it's protection, what good is it? It's not much of a union.

Like Spain, wich despite what castellans will tell you isn't a union. It's a collection of kingdoms conquered through intimidation and mariage. It's people never had a vote in the matter. Nowadays, this is catching up to them and the castellans, used to intimidating the others will never give it up. This will become a bloodbath. I am convinced of that. It's how they always did things.

And btw not wanting to sustain other countries/peoples is the right of the catalunyans. You can't force them to stay in a forced union they don't want to be a part of.  That isn't how true unions work. Just like the EU can't force the UK to stay, Spain shouldn't be able to force Catalunya to stay.

Errorist76 said:

They acted against the law and constitution. A large part of Catalonians doesn't even support the cause.

I don't support the draconian measures the spanish government is taking, they will only reach the opposite that way, but it is not that easy to just grant a part of Catalans a "fake" independence that has been reached on an unofficial way. Both parties act highly unreasonably in the cause.

You're gonna have to give proof to that cause we all saw rivers of people on the streets of Barcelona. The spanish central government made sure they couldn't realise a referendum either.

Theres intimidation, wich is the way spain always worked and will always lead to trouble. Spain is not a union, and more will suceed after catalunya does. This day and age it's not what an old king wanted, it's what the people want.

And btw the spanish constitution doesn't give them a chance to have a referendum. They honestly had no choice here when the central government tried to force them out. They have even already threatened the guy that proclaimed independence with 30 years of prison and treason. Sure, that's gonna end in a peaceful result.

EU = Germany. And Germany blocked a referendum in Bavaria this year. 

Results of the 2015 Catalonian elections:

Independentists (Junts pel Sí + CUP) = 47.8% of the votes. Probably a bit more if we add the parties that didn't have enough votes to have representation in the parliament, but still below 50%.

Nem said:
poklane said:

I heard Scotland and Venezuela recognised it. Guess it was a joke. :P

No one recognised Kosovo at the start either. It is stupid though. When it becomes a blood bath i'm blaming the EU countries for having been passive to it rather than protect the will of the people.

This is so stupid because so many countries began like this. This is the countries saying they hope Spain solves the problem peacefully. Once they don't there will be interventions.

Portugal, the Netherland and Belgium would still be a part of Spain if their constituion was what mattered. The hypocrisy is strong.

Errorist76 said:

Errorist76 said:

You're gonna have to give proof to that cause we all saw rivers of people on the streets of Barcelona. The spanish central government made sure they couldn't realise a referendum either. Actually, given the vote won in their parlament, it is very legitimate of the will of the majority.

And btw, if this was only about paying bills, they would'nt be nuking their economy like this. At the end of the day this will cost Spain more. So, might aswell let them go.

You are so painfully missinformed and out of reality that is not even fun, don't even know where to beggin.

Goodnightmoon said:

You are so painfully missinformed and out of reality that is not even fun, don't even know where to beggin.

I am not. In the end of the day, what matters is what the people of Catalunya want. Not what Spain wants or what motivations there are.

The Will of the People of Catalunya is ALL that matters. And given how the central government blocked a referendum, the writing is in the wall.