By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo Sports Reviews - 76 Metacritic (44 Reviews) - 77 OpenCritic (44 Reviews)

Finally! Another 5 attempts and gold on the oval. It also unlocked the king of the ovals trophy after all that, "Drove 500 miles on ovals". The WRX definitely corners better, with that you can make up a little bit of time in the 3rd corner as well.

I tried pitting in lap 10 and lap 11 to have softs for the end without success. Starting on softs and pitting early in lap 9 to switch to mediums worked better, however the first time I ran out of fuel, got unlucky and passed the finish with another 4 seconds on the clock with the AI practically pushing me, so another lap and I only had fuel for 11 more laps.

Next attempt fuel to 12, didn't end up in first after the rest pitted, but managed to get into the slip stream behind 1 and 2 for a long time, then finally managed to pass nr 2, however he screwed me up a lap later allowing nr 1 to get away. Then he spun me out in the last lap for good measure...

Last attempt I pushed really hard in the beginning and with a bit of luck managed to get the lead in lap 9, dove into the pit, fueled for 12 more laps, got out in place 20 but close enough behind the last one to get a bit of boost from drafting. That gave me a 4 sec lead after the leaders went in. I nailed every corner from there on out, the AI managed to slowly close the gap anyway, but fell just short. I made sure to keep him out of my slipstream in the final lap.

Best GT ever :)

I'm going to regret this tomorrow, 3:34 am now, played way to much today. My drive time jumped up to 17 hours from 12...

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

You were the one that gave the numbers and I gave you a comparison. On the demo I played 10h. Done the one license line, 2 challenge lines and 3 course golden time, plus 4 online races. Challenge 6 had a 1h race that is quite hard to get 1st position.

So by comparison of YOURS number GTS wouldn't have less content than GT2.

You really try to reach everything you can to defend Polyphony, don't you? Stop being so dense. I just gave you a random number that I thought it would be enough to reach the game credits.

Let me define that for you. Finishing a game means reaching the end credits. It's not the same than simply finishing all possible content. An example here: Ratchet and Clank took me 12 to 14 hours to finish the game. Finish all content would involve finishing challenge mode and collecting all stuff, so a good 20 more hours. Can you understand the difference?

You are comparing the 30 hours to reach GT2 credits with simply finishing every last drop of content on GTS. Doing so on GT2 is probably hundreds of hours.

If you indeed played GT2, instead of being just a fan from the recent dire years of weak GT games, there's now way you believe that GTS had more content than GT2.

Nope. Please refer to my threads showing the comparison sales of Halo, GoW, GT and FM. They all show the amount of HW sold at the launch of the game, the quantity sold on the first week, month and LT. The variation on the sales were very minimal against the userbase. Halo 3 sold much much more than Halo 4 on a much much smaller userbase. If we were talking about 30-50% attach ratio one could talk about the userbase being the relevant limitant. When talking about 7% it isn't even close to it. Also FM5 sold more than FM6, with FM5 basically launching to a 0 userbase and FM6 to a 15M userbase, now FM7 releasing to a 30M userbase... guess what, no notable increase in sales with the increased userbase.

Are you really a VGC member? It's a well known fact that sales don't sacel linearly with the userbase. GT3 sold more than GT4. Can we call GT4 a flop now? Launch games have much less competition to deal with.

Compare launch X360 games with launch X1 titles to really make an apple to apples comparison.

All the games you listed suffered decrease in sales while on X360, not because of smaller userbase.

So Sony should probably cancel God of War and GT. They decrease to less than half on their last PS3 games.

Yep on DC and SFV, I think the only reason DC was brought was that even though broke, missing content and having harsh review it had a good increase in sales from 1st week to LT due to the improvements after... from 350k FW, 500k FM to 2,3M LT isn't bad for a game that had critical bashing and launched with crippling online, so word of mouth as good.

The games was ridiculously discounted in a few months. It was like 9 bucks for most of its life. Right now it's just 7 bucks on PSN. And for pete's sake, the game destroyed the studio. That's basically the worst thing a game can do. If it was even close to being mildly succesfull, Evolution studios would still exist.

I don't really plan to keep this discussion going. You have your agenda of blindly defending PD, there's nothing I can do here. Critics and users show a consensus that they are losing quality steadly. GT6 had disappointing sales for the franchise. They have to act and do something before the franchise dies and nobody cares about it anymore. I love the franchise and don't want to see this happening.

If you want to deny facts and be dense, go for it, but with another VGC user.

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm short on money so I'll take a little time to join =[

The game gave us the hint about pitstop planning, let's see how that will show up on the multi-player endurance races.

The last couple of races are all about pit stop planning. Instead of doing the oval again I went for the half hour Interlagos one first. Bloody hard. The incredible boost the AI sometimes get is very real. I get out of the last corner, right behind the one I'm trying to overtake, right in his slipstream for the long straight, and he simply speeds away like my gas pedal is broken. I was 4th for a long time on my first attempt, while 3rd kept increasing the gap on me to 24 sec In the last lap 5th place got a big boost and I could not stop him from passing me, he shot away like a rocket out of the last sharp corner, so got fith.

Second attempt it seemed to go the same, climb to 4th then get stuck. So after the first pit stop I thought, f this, I can cheat too! So I started cutting the first chicane short which makes up about 2 sec per lap. You get a 2.8 to sometimes 8 sec penalty for that. Usually it's closer to the lower end which you can lose during the lap, if you get the max you'll have to drive clean for the next one. After everyone had had their 2nd pit stop I came out in the lead. Then to fend off the boost... Even with the 2 sec cheat, they still closed the gap back up every lap, until finally in the very last corner the AI pushed me off the track lol. Ended in third.

Third time was the charm. Cheat right from the start, and I pushed my pit stops up a lap to have stronger tires at the end (using only softs) Even went as low as to push the AI off the track when they still managed to boost past me. This time after the second round of pit stops was done I had a 10 sec lead. With the shortcut I could keep that lead. However in the last 2 laps I suddenly get heckled by a straggler. One lap behind yet somehow pressing like mad to overtake me. He pushed me a couple times so I decided to move to the side to let him go, but as soon as he passed me he slowed down, moved aside, to let me pass, since I was lapping him. Game logic... With that straggler being a nuisance 2nd place closed to less than 3 sec behind but was too late. Victory, although not a proud one. Exciting race!

It seems to have a lot to do with luck, not ending up with a big gap without anyone to draft behind. Best to pit when there's empty space in front of you. Anyway back to the oval.

The game is really trying to teach us to drive clean or to go back to the old rubberbanding habits right? And I don't even think you need to do the clean lap, can't you keep accumulating penalties and crossing the line in first even with a lot of penalty get the gold?

You are being a settler on the game. Probably there will be some guides on the best way to make the races easier, because I don't think it's supposed to be this hard for someone that is quite good, unless they are leveling up a lot because they want that level of challenge because in the MP that is what you may end up facing.

SvennoJ said:

Finally! Another 5 attempts and gold on the oval. It also unlocked the king of the ovals trophy after all that, "Drove 500 miles on ovals". The WRX definitely corners better, with that you can make up a little bit of time in the 3rd corner as well.

I tried pitting in lap 10 and lap 11 to have softs for the end without success. Starting on softs and pitting early in lap 9 to switch to mediums worked better, however the first time I ran out of fuel, got unlucky and passed the finish with another 4 seconds on the clock with the AI practically pushing me, so another lap and I only had fuel for 11 more laps.

Next attempt fuel to 12, didn't end up in first after the rest pitted, but managed to get into the slip stream behind 1 and 2 for a long time, then finally managed to pass nr 2, however he screwed me up a lap later allowing nr 1 to get away. Then he spun me out in the last lap for good measure...

Last attempt I pushed really hard in the beginning and with a bit of luck managed to get the lead in lap 9, dove into the pit, fueled for 12 more laps, got out in place 20 but close enough behind the last one to get a bit of boost from drafting. That gave me a 4 sec lead after the leaders went in. I nailed every corner from there on out, the AI managed to slowly close the gap anyway, but fell just short. I made sure to keep him out of my slipstream in the final lap.

Best GT ever :)

I'm going to regret this tomorrow, 3:34 am now, played way to much today. My drive time jumped up to 17 hours from 12...

Are you already feeling like "Dick" Dastardly??

torok said:
DonFerrari said:

You really try to reach everything you can to defend Polyphony, don't you? Stop being so dense. I just gave you a random number that I thought it would be enough to reach the game credits.

So better you keep the adage of if you know, don't pretend or invent.

Let me define that for you. Finishing a game means reaching the end credits. It's not the same than simply finishing all possible content. An example here: Ratchet and Clank took me 12 to 14 hours to finish the game. Finish all content would involve finishing challenge mode and collecting all stuff, so a good 20 more hours. Can you understand the difference?

Ok, you are saying to complete all championship you took 20h, so what?

You are comparing the 30 hours to reach GT2 credits with simply finishing every last drop of content on GTS. Doing so on GT2 is probably hundreds of hours.

Now we gone up another 10h only for the championship? Because you were previously saying something aligned with 20h for career and another 10h for licenses and challenges.

If you indeed played GT2, instead of being just a fan from the recent dire years of weak GT games, there's now way you believe that GTS had more content than GT2.

I have played every single GT. I'm not doing any reach. You said the numbers yourself, I'm just giving you the estimated numbers from GTS, your own fault to keep putting wrong numbers because you don't know but want to make up.

Are you really a VGC member? It's a well known fact that sales don't sacel linearly with the userbase. GT3 sold more than GT4. Can we call GT4 a flop now? Launch games have much less competition to deal with.

I should be the one questioning you about this. You are the one puting the sales of FM as low because of userbase.

Compare launch X360 games with launch X1 titles to really make an apple to apples comparison.

Yes sure, let's compare one genre to another in 10 year different time because that will be apple to apple. The sole point I was making for you is that the userbase on a 7% attach ratio isn't the one at fault. You admited above that there is no linear correlation (actually there is almost no correlation), so stop trying to shift your goal post all the time you say something wrong.

So Sony should probably cancel God of War and GT. They decrease to less than half on their last PS3 games.

Have I said anyone had to cancell anything? GTS to drop to 1/2 of GT6 it would need to sell only 2.6M and GoW would have to at least launch, what are you talking about?

The games was ridiculously discounted in a few months. It was like 9 bucks for most of its life. Right now it's just 7 bucks on PSN. And for pete's sake, the game destroyed the studio. That's basically the worst thing a game can do. If it was even close to being mildly succesfull, Evolution studios would still exist.

Even with price cuts most games legs aren't that strong and most sales happen on the first month. The closing of the studio or anything like that have no bearing on the point made that even a game that get a bad start can increase its popularity. Why do you go way out to try out of discussion points to deny one?

I don't really plan to keep this discussion going. You have your agenda of blindly defending PD, there's nothing I can do here. Critics and users show a consensus that they are losing quality steadly. GT6 had disappointing sales for the franchise. They have to act and do something before the franchise dies and nobody cares about it anymore. I love the franchise and don't want to see this happening.

What blind defense is to show your points as weak as they are? And you clearly have zero idea what quality is. Even if we go for less content that doesn't directly talk to less quality. Quality is how well you do what you propose to do, not how much you do. You probably should also study the difference between efficiency and efficacy.

If you want to deny facts and be dense, go for it, but with another VGC user.

Yes, you can keep the name calling to other users, farewell.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

The game is really trying to teach us to drive clean or to go back to the old rubberbanding habits right? And I don't even think you need to do the clean lap, can't you keep accumulating penalties and crossing the line in first even with a lot of penalty get the gold?

You are being a settler on the game. Probably there will be some guides on the best way to make the races easier, because I don't think it's supposed to be this hard for someone that is quite good, unless they are leveling up a lot because they want that level of challenge because in the MP that is what you may end up facing.

I loved Wacky races on the DC. Dick Dastardly all the way!

I think those races are all about not getting a big gap betweenthe opponents, yet with the werid boost in Interlagos I'm not sure how to do it except to wait for a favorable AI configuration. On the oval the AI was quite consistent, so with planning it was possible to beat that.

Perhaps I would be able to do Interlagos the legit way as well if I kept trying and shaving off those milliseconds, yet at half an hour per attempt it's just a bit too long for that one more go feeling like with the 15 minute race. Plus it was a bit overkill to force a 10 sec lead, plenty of room to find a sweet spot. Too bad it's a timed race and the finish time doesn't make much sense, they should have added the total number of laps driven with the time on the scoreboard. The fastest time on the board is 29:59.876, somehow someone crossed the finish line right before the 30 minute timer ran out. So that would be slower average laps than someone who passess it earlier and has to do another lap.

I'm not sure if 'get gold with penalty' still works, I didn't want to risk it. :)

SvennoJ said:
DonFerrari said:

I loved Wacky races on the DC. Dick Dastardly all the way!

I think those races are all about not getting a big gap betweenthe opponents, yet with the werid boost in Interlagos I'm not sure how to do it except to wait for a favorable AI configuration. On the oval the AI was quite consistent, so with planning it was possible to beat that.

Perhaps I would be able to do Interlagos the legit way as well if I kept trying and shaving off those milliseconds, yet at half an hour per attempt it's just a bit too long for that one more go feeling like with the 15 minute race. Plus it was a bit overkill to force a 10 sec lead, plenty of room to find a sweet spot. Too bad it's a timed race and the finish time doesn't make much sense, they should have added the total number of laps driven with the time on the scoreboard. The fastest time on the board is 29:59.876, somehow someone crossed the finish line right before the 30 minute timer ran out. So that would be slower average laps than someone who passess it earlier and has to do another lap.

I'm not sure if 'get gold with penalty' still works, I didn't want to risk it. :)

The boost is strange, I noticed it the first time I done my best lap and instead of the usual closing 4-7 s on the lap when I was behind, the old leader was able to shave some getting to me. But at the time changing the strategy to soft tyres and antecipating all pits the most worked. Hope when I do stage 8 challenges it is less hard than what you are getting. And yes, 5-10m races that you have to retake a lot to shave the secs and win is completely different than a 30-60m race that any single mistake will need to retake. On previous games all endurance were a lot easier because you were constantly building lead even with small mistakes...

I would say the level of challenge you are getting on these endurances is equivalent to real world races like F1 that a full 1h30 race can be destroyed by a pit that took 2s more, or by not being able to pass someone for 2 laps. And there we can see how much difference the weight and tyre life can make, haven't see that much difference in time on GT, but we aren't also pushing to extremes of perfection like Michael Schumacher.

On the 30m. Well perhaps if you hold out a lot in some portion and get the adversary to lose time and skip one lap you'll have the advantage of having to hold him for one extra lap. But this guy that is below 30m must have luckied out because that should had propelled him to an additional lap.

Well on the demo of the interlagos on stage 6 it worked.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

Lowest scoring mainline GT game on Meta. I'm not a fan of their GaaS approach for GT, but I don't blame them if it's profitable for them. The presentation is sublime, I'll admit, though not surprising.

I finished the campaign today, 18 hours of driving time total for all gold, make it 20 without the experience from the demo plus having to redo a whole stage due to server maintenance. The final race on Nurburgring 24h looks amazing with the wisps of fog in the lower sections. The race itself was pretty easy. You get to pick your own car and level it up, unlike the two challenges before it where your car performance is locked in.
Even though I screwed myself by doing the first two laps on medium tires (they don't make it two laps) I was still first heading into the pit.

With everything unlocked I went back to the limited VR portion and ugh, it looks rough and the scale seems off. I feel like I'm driving around on a Disneyland version on the tracks, everything at 3/4 scale. I switched to DriveClub and there things seem bigger outside the car, then back to GT Sport and everything looks too small again. Lastly started Dirt Rally up and was amazed at the quality of the outside world compared to GT and DC...
GT Sport's VR is very underwhelming, the sense of speed is the worst out of the 3, probably due to everything looking too small. Only in the Veyron doing 400kph on Tokyo Expressway does it feel like I'm moving :/ The rally tracks work better in VR, a lot easier to control the car and better sense of speed.
Worse some cars are very glitchy in VR. I tried some GR.1 cars, the fastest, yet in some you can't even turn your head without the screen blacking out. I can't shrink my head, I do not fit in the car...

Anyway the VR portion is pointless, you can't even see your time after finishing the short event. The AI doesn't really compete either.

I tried some online events instead, however the server went down for maintenance over an hour ago, is still down. So I did more VR racing instead, switched to Dirt Rally as GT Sport kept nagging about the server instead of simply letting me play in Arcade mode.

Great game, but don't buy it for VR.

Frank_kc said:
The first two reviews seems to be on the low side of things, the game deserves much more than that. I got the game yesterday and played a few games, i really enjoyed the game.... game play, graphics, and sound are all excellent. Unlike previous GT games, the menus are slick and quick and you can jump into a race in a few seconds (offline Racing)

I disagree. While the meat of the game (driving) and graphics are, like always with GT, amazing... there's a serious lack of depth. This game SHOULD be docked for it as well as always online. 

SvennoJ said:
I finished the campaign today, 18 hours of driving time total for all gold, make it 20 without the experience from the demo plus having to redo a whole stage due to server maintenance. The final race on Nurburgring 24h looks amazing with the wisps of fog in the lower sections. The race itself was pretty easy. You get to pick your own car and level it up, unlike the two challenges before it where your car performance is locked in.
Even though I screwed myself by doing the first two laps on medium tires (they don't make it two laps) I was still first heading into the pit.

With everything unlocked I went back to the limited VR portion and ugh, it looks rough and the scale seems off. I feel like I'm driving around on a Disneyland version on the tracks, everything at 3/4 scale. I switched to DriveClub and there things seem bigger outside the car, then back to GT Sport and everything looks too small again. Lastly started Dirt Rally up and was amazed at the quality of the outside world compared to GT and DC...
GT Sport's VR is very underwhelming, the sense of speed is the worst out of the 3, probably due to everything looking too small. Only in the Veyron doing 400kph on Tokyo Expressway does it feel like I'm moving :/ The rally tracks work better in VR, a lot easier to control the car and better sense of speed.
Worse some cars are very glitchy in VR. I tried some GR.1 cars, the fastest, yet in some you can't even turn your head without the screen blacking out. I can't shrink my head, I do not fit in the car...

Anyway the VR portion is pointless, you can't even see your time after finishing the short event. The AI doesn't really compete either.

I tried some online events instead, however the server went down for maintenance over an hour ago, is still down. So I did more VR racing instead, switched to Dirt Rally as GT Sport kept nagging about the server instead of simply letting me play in Arcade mode.

Great game, but don't buy it for VR.

My only two grips with DC VR is that the VR drift is to intense... there were cases of me having to do a full 360 on my chair while playing for 1 h. Some family members were curious on why I was playing with my back turned to the tv.

The second one is that some tracks (probably heavier ones) get just excessively ugly and the cars look 32 bits era.

torok said:
SvennoJ said:

Some reviewers are holding off until the actual online competition starts in November. Plus I think the bad word of mouth won't last long. The initial shock of criticizing GTS for what it isn't will wear off and people will enjoy it for what it is.

Despite some online hickups I'm enjoying it immensely, can't stop playing. I've already put 20 hours in the game playing until 3am every night. Campaign 87% done, still some endurance races to go and more tracks to master. Then check out VR and get online after.

It still outsolf Forza 7 3:1 in its first week in the UK, higher than gt6, yet only a third of GT5's first week.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-gran-turismo-sport-finishes-first-in-uk-chart

It seems opinions from people actual playing the game are that the online racing is excellent, best yet, and that there actually is quite a it of single player content. Word of mouth of actual players seems good.

DriveClub still went on to sell quite a bit, despite being actually broken in the beginning. Online didn't work at all for weeks, it took months before all the initial functionality was fully up and running. GT still has the name, and actually doesn't disappoint when you start to play it. I doubt it will have the same fate as DriveClub and will sell quite well over the holiday period.

Let's see. I hope it really does. One thing that could turn things completely would be if it becomes big in e-sports. That would be freaking awesome.

I don't think outselling Forza is a big achievement. I'm not absolutely trying to downplay Forza, but GT entries did it on PS3 and right now Forza ends up crippled by poor X1 sales. Outselling GT6 is good, but it only managed to beat it and GT1 in first week sales.

I also don't think it will end up like DC, it at least works. People may wish it had more content, but it's not like you can't play the entire game at all like DC.

Errorist76 said:

The game has more content than GT1, 2 and 3 did! It’s comparable in size to Forza 5 but has great online and no Microtransactions. It’s also got more cars than pC1 had, far more. It’s also a much better game than pC1 and Forza 5 were.

pC2 and Forza 7 had like what?! 6-7 years of development time, if we’re honest. 

Those ratings for a big part aren’t reasonable. The trollish user scores even less. Most people are judging the game by what it isn’t instead of what it is.

I completely disagree. People don’t really trust reviewers anymore. Word of mouth is people who actually play the game love it for the most part. The same happened to GT5 as well btw, also Driveclub sold pretty well actually, especially over time when they upgraded it more and more. Don’t know about SF5.

It doesn't have more content than these games. GT2, per instance, had several endurances, rally, hundreds of cars, it was a freaking huge game. You would take a good 30 hours to finish every single thing (trust me, I got gold in all licenses, races, except by ONE single license trial. I was a kid, probably should pop it on my PS1 and do it). You are also overeaching a lot by using 2 PS1 games plus a launch title for PS2. Our expectations are much higher nowadays. Can't say nothing about Forza because I didn't played none of them enought.

It looks like it has a great online mode, but it doesn't have anywhere the same amount of single player content than the games above.

I don't think it's like GT5. Nobody said GT5 lacked content, because it was a huge game. The biggest gripe was using PS2 models at the time.

Driveclub is heavily discounted. If it was a success Sony wouldn't have close the studio, I think it is clear that it underperformed. Big budget, big expectations, lots of marketing and a PR disaster. SF5 is a similar disaster.

It DOES have more content than these games. These games already had dozens of cars of the same type, totally redundant. The Arcade and Custom race option in GTS enables you to perform endurance races on any track with any car/group of cars at any daytime. If you want to do a 200 lap night race with a Daihatsu Copen you can do that. And the new career system ensures that all of these races help you progress in your career, earn money, buy or win cars and upgrade them and the best thing is it now has the most amazing livery editor to customize all your cars now as you wish! People are just to lazy to organise themselves! And most definitely, above all, people don’t like change, even if it’s for the better.