By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gran Turismo Sports Reviews - 76 Metacritic (44 Reviews) - 77 OpenCritic (44 Reviews)

torok said:
Errorist76 said:

They are not doing a GT7, at least not on PS4. GTS will get updated over time, is this so hard to understand. PD are not Turn 10.

Having a single GT game on PS4 and one with a 70s on Meta is shameful. Also, I don't think this approach of releasing a barebones game and updating it later works out. Street Fighter V tried that and the game tanked pretty hard. I hope you're wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if you are indeed spot on. Just disappointed.

The game has more content than GT1, 2 and 3 did! It’s comparable in size to Forza 5 but has great online and no Microtransactions. It’s also got more cars than pC1 had, far more. It’s also a much better game than pC1 and Forza 5 were.

pC2 and Forza 7 had like what?! 6-7 years of development time, if we’re honest. 

Those ratings for a big part aren’t reasonable. The trollish user scores even less. Most people are judging the game by what it isn’t instead of what it is. 

torok said:
SvennoJ said:
It's still above DriveClub (71) and that turned out to have amazing support. Of course then everyone got fired :

I think that this approach of releasing a game lacking content and then updating it afterwards never works. SFV did it, Driveclub, did it, both failed commercially. Critics will judge the game on its first week and they won't return to update their scores (that would be unreasonable, games get dozens of patches per year). The bad word of mouth on the first weeks also doesn't help a bit.

It's simply too hard to change a bad perception into a good one.

I completely disagree. People don’t really trust reviewers anymore. Word of mouth is people who actually play the game love it for the most part. The same happened to GT5 as well btw, also Driveclub sold pretty well actually, especially over time when they upgraded it more and more. Don’t know about SF5.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
Why are reviews here when the main game modes aren't open yet? I'm enjoying it the game is brilliant. I think it's the usual bit picking like what happened with gt5 and gt6 had this had a full career they would have slamed it as being same as last one

So true. Especially since Forza 7 did exactly that and got praised by the critics but slammed by the users/fans.

SvennoJ said:
torok said:

I think that this approach of releasing a game lacking content and then updating it afterwards never works. SFV did it, Driveclub, did it, both failed commercially. Critics will judge the game on its first week and they won't return to update their scores (that would be unreasonable, games get dozens of patches per year). The bad word of mouth on the first weeks also doesn't help a bit.

It's simply too hard to change a bad perception into a good one.

Some reviewers are holding off until the actual online competition starts in November. Plus I think the bad word of mouth won't last long. The initial shock of criticizing GTS for what it isn't will wear off and people will enjoy it for what it is.

Despite some online hickups I'm enjoying it immensely, can't stop playing. I've already put 20 hours in the game playing until 3am every night. Campaign 87% done, still some endurance races to go and more tracks to master. Then check out VR and get online after.

It still outsolf Forza 7 3:1 in its first week in the UK, higher than gt6, yet only a third of GT5's first week.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-gran-turismo-sport-finishes-first-in-uk-chart

It seems opinions from people actual playing the game are that the online racing is excellent, best yet, and that there actually is quite a it of single player content. Word of mouth of actual players seems good.

DriveClub still went on to sell quite a bit, despite being actually broken in the beginning. Online didn't work at all for weeks, it took months before all the initial functionality was fully up and running. GT still has the name, and actually doesn't disappoint when you start to play it. I doubt it will have the same fate as DriveClub and will sell quite well over the holiday period.

Holiday will be interesting...

Are you sure you only have 20h? You seem to have played a lot more than it.

And I had 10h only to do the demo.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:

Some reviewers are holding off until the actual online competition starts in November. Plus I think the bad word of mouth won't last long. The initial shock of criticizing GTS for what it isn't will wear off and people will enjoy it for what it is.

Despite some online hickups I'm enjoying it immensely, can't stop playing. I've already put 20 hours in the game playing until 3am every night. Campaign 87% done, still some endurance races to go and more tracks to master. Then check out VR and get online after.

It still outsolf Forza 7 3:1 in its first week in the UK, higher than gt6, yet only a third of GT5's first week.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-23-gran-turismo-sport-finishes-first-in-uk-chart

It seems opinions from people actual playing the game are that the online racing is excellent, best yet, and that there actually is quite a it of single player content. Word of mouth of actual players seems good.

DriveClub still went on to sell quite a bit, despite being actually broken in the beginning. Online didn't work at all for weeks, it took months before all the initial functionality was fully up and running. GT still has the name, and actually doesn't disappoint when you start to play it. I doubt it will have the same fate as DriveClub and will sell quite well over the holiday period.

Let's see. I hope it really does. One thing that could turn things completely would be if it becomes big in e-sports. That would be freaking awesome.

I don't think outselling Forza is a big achievement. I'm not absolutely trying to downplay Forza, but GT entries did it on PS3 and right now Forza ends up crippled by poor X1 sales. Outselling GT6 is good, but it only managed to beat it and GT1 in first week sales.

I also don't think it will end up like DC, it at least works. People may wish it had more content, but it's not like you can't play the entire game at all like DC.

Errorist76 said:

The game has more content than GT1, 2 and 3 did! It’s comparable in size to Forza 5 but has great online and no Microtransactions. It’s also got more cars than pC1 had, far more. It’s also a much better game than pC1 and Forza 5 were.

Those ratings for a big part aren’t reasonable. The trollish user scores even less. Most people are judging the game by what it isn’t instead of what it is.

I completely disagree. People don’t really trust reviewers anymore. Word of mouth is people who actually play the game love it for the most part. The same happened to GT5 as well btw, also Driveclub sold pretty well actually, especially over time when they upgraded it more and more. Don’t know about SF5.

It doesn't have more content than these games. GT2, per instance, had several endurances, rally, hundreds of cars, it was a freaking huge game. You would take a good 30 hours to finish every single thing (trust me, I got gold in all licenses, races, except by ONE single license trial. I was a kid, probably should pop it on my PS1 and do it). You are also overeaching a lot by using 2 PS1 games plus a launch title for PS2. Our expectations are much higher nowadays. Can't say nothing about Forza because I didn't played none of them enought.

It looks like it has a great online mode, but it doesn't have anywhere the same amount of single player content than the games above.

I don't think it's like GT5. Nobody said GT5 lacked content, because it was a huge game. The biggest gripe was using PS2 models at the time.

Driveclub is heavily discounted. If it was a success Sony wouldn't have close the studio, I think it is clear that it underperformed. Big budget, big expectations, lots of marketing and a PR disaster. SF5 is a similar disaster.

torok said:
SvennoJ said:

Let's see. I hope it really does. One thing that could turn things completely would be if it becomes big in e-sports. That would be freaking awesome.

I don't think outselling Forza is a big achievement. I'm not absolutely trying to downplay Forza, but GT entries did it on PS3 and right now Forza ends up crippled by poor X1 sales. Outselling GT6 is good, but it only managed to beat it and GT1 in first week sales.

I also don't think it will end up like DC, it at least works. People may wish it had more content, but it's not like you can't play the entire game at all like DC.

Errorist76 said:

It doesn't have more content than these games. GT2, per instance, had several endurances, rally, hundreds of cars, it was a freaking huge game. You would take a good 30 hours to finish every single thing (trust me, I got gold in all licenses, races, except by ONE single license trial. I was a kid, probably should pop it on my PS1 and do it). You are also overeaching a lot by using 2 PS1 games plus a launch title for PS2. Our expectations are much higher nowadays. Can't say nothing about Forza because I didn't played none of them enought.

It looks like it has a great online mode, but it doesn't have anywhere the same amount of single player content than the games above.

I don't think it's like GT5. Nobody said GT5 lacked content, because it was a huge game. The biggest gripe was using PS2 models at the time.

Driveclub is heavily discounted. If it was a success Sony wouldn't have close the studio, I think it is clear that it underperformed. Big budget, big expectations, lots of marketing and a PR disaster. SF5 is a similar disaster.

GTS will take more than 30h to finish all SP and have the MP over it, so it have more content than GT2 on this lookout.

FM7 selling 2M can't be put on fault of small userbase. There are 30M, so they selling to about 7% of their userbase can't arguee low sales due to low userbase.

I think he isn't saying DC was a success... he is more putting that DC had a weak start, bit up on critics, broken on most of what was promissed and still managed 2M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

I really had a blast playing the game. Completed all driving classes and working now on challenges. Every one who tried the game from family and friends, really enjoyed the game.

Judge the game for what it is and not for what it is supposed to be based on previous games. It is a matter of time before more content is added to the game.

The only negative i see so far is the online thing which I completely oppose. You cant even do any editing without being connected online. Some folks didnt learn from the Xbox online/DRM Fiasco.

Frank_kc said:
I really had a blast playing the game. Completed all driving classes and working now on challenges. Every one who tried the game from family and friends, really enjoyed the game.

Judge the game for what it is and not for what it is supposed to be based on previous games. It is a matter of time before more content is added to the game.

The only negative i see so far is the online thing which I completely oppose. You cant even do any editing without being connected online. Some folks didnt learn from the Xbox online/DRM Fiasco.

Your opinion seems like the consensus of people that actually played it.

DonFerrari said:

GTS will take more than 30h to finish all SP and have the MP over it, so it have more content than GT2 on this lookout.

FM7 selling 2M can't be put on fault of small userbase. There are 30M, so they selling to about 7% of their userbase can't arguee low sales due to low userbase.

I think he isn't saying DC was a success... he is more putting that DC had a weak start, bit up on critics, broken on most of what was promissed and still managed 2M.

30h is what it takes to simply reach GT2 final races. If we mean doing every single event, I don't even have idea of how long does it take. It has several 3 to 5 hours endurance races, just that ones could be close to 20h alone. Nobody complained GT2 lacked content, while GTS got a bunch of critics in that sense. It's hard to buy the idea GTS has more content here. It's not possible that you really think it has more content than GT2. Sorry, I finished every single event of that game and it was huge. And it was one of the best freaking games I have ever played. If GTS had at least a similar amount of content there was no way anyone would complain about that.

Of course the smaller userbase is a problem! Halo, Gears, every game felt it. PS4 has twice the install base, mate. Also, mind that Forza is almost yearly, so every entry don't have to sell as much as GT. If you compare Forza, Halo and Gears, 360 vs X1, they all suffered a similar decrease in sales.

DC never recovered. Selling 2M isn't good if the game was costly. Sony dismantled the studio, it's obvious that it failed both commercially and critically. Sony uses to be a pretty nice publisher, they hardly ever react to a flop like that. It's clear that the studio messed up big time and Sony was quite unhappy here. Anyway, I don't think DC is a good comparison with GTS (I just used it to highlight how improving a game after a initial lukewarm reception won't really help). DC was a broken game. GTS is more on par with SF5. Critics considered it a great game but it lacked content so the scores took a hit.

Meta 75 with 39 reviews now. Hope Sony and PD are taking notes so they can actually do a good job next time.

DonFerrari said:
SvennoJ said:

Holiday will be interesting...

Are you sure you only have 20h? You seem to have played a lot more than it.

And I had 10h only to do the demo.

It starts back at zero, I had another 10 on the demo as well, plus another 2 that weren't recorded when I kept playing during server maintenance and lost progress.

22h is a lot since last Tuesday! It looks like I'll be spending more time on the campaign than I did with for example the original Forza Horizon. I finished that in 16h, apart from getting the rest of the barn finds and cars. That game was quite small, especially compared to TDU that came out before, yet it was never criticized for having a small campaign afaik...
As for actual driving time it looks like I'll probably match that. I'm sitting on 12h driving time at the moment according to the stats. The experience with the demo (and during sever maintenance) made repeating those parts a lot easier (won that pesky 1h endurance race with 15sec lead this time on the first attempt) plus I already know Suzuka and Nurburgring like the back of my hand and have been getting gold on those at practically the first attempt.
There's 2 more endurance races to do plus a final battle on Nururgring which is probably on the longer side, and 7 more (new) tracks to master in track experience. To grind the rest of the cars would take more time in GTS as well. Plus I'm not really pushing my times on the leaderboards, just completing all the challenges with gold.

The campaign is definitely a lot smaller than previous GT games, and is very much geared to teaching you to drive well and not touch other cars. All to prepare youfor the real campaign in GT Sport and the competitions starting in November. It however doesn't feel too small, nor repetitive and is a good way to fill up your garage. I've got 49 cars now, only bought 2 myself so far.