By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

I'm finishing up Blade Runner from 1982. Good movie, but has awkward scenes.

Around the Network
Smartie900 said:
Bristow9091 said:

Wait, so now I'm NOT supposed to watch the final cut? Does the sequel actually follow the events of the first film, are the endings different on the different cuts? If so which ending does the sequel carry on from? I'm gonna' assume the theatrical release? This is like when a game has multiple endings, I never know which one to pick! :P

The final cut is the best received version.... but if you have enough time, watch the movie 7 times in a row with all 7 versions. You can thank me later.

Since Harrison Ford appears in the sequel, can we at least agree that all this "Deckart is a replicant too" final-cut-hinting-nonsense is finally put to rest?

Moviegoers waiting for other movies? SW8, Thor3? Its not as if they ll be in the theaters a day later. Thats just stupid.

Hunting Season is done...

I’ve watched it this weekend in IMAX 3D and I can say that it’s a huge shame it didn’t take off. This movie is awesome and I recommend everyone to go and watch it. Definitely film of the year for me. I haven’t enjoyed movies that much since fury road. Almost certain will go and watch one more time, now in 2D with original dub.

Never saw marketing for the film, it came out of now where, but i watched it since the premise is great, heard so much about the first movie but never saw it. I thought this sequel was great, just abit too loud sometimes lol, the speakers nearly blew my ears off. Would definitely buy on blu ray.

Around the Network
Zoombael said:

Moviegoers waiting for other movies? SW8, Thor3? Its not as if they ll be in the theaters a day later. Thats just stupid.

So more formulaic movies about excessively overpowered characters completing tasks they were completely expected to complete.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Goodnightmoon said:
pitzy272 said:

Pretty much all of this. 

I saw it Friday. Bladerunner 2049 is worth it for the sound and visuals alone. And the world they created is so damn impressive. I really liked it. I had a feeling it wouldn't light up the box office bc it's not hyperfocused on action, and there are a lot of quiet moments, but it made me sad/mad when I saw how bad it did. Really sucks when an AWFUL movie like Beauty and the Beast makes 1.2 billion dollars, and this movie may struggle to make 200-300 million and will likely lose money.

Is it Beauty and the Beast really the best exemple for this injustice though? It was a decent live action adaptation of a huge animation classic, almost every movie with The Rock is way worse xD

Haha well I just finally watched it, so it's on my mind. I thought it was terrible and super cheesy, and when it ended I was just really irritated that such a poor movie made so much money. Then Bladerunner released and was awesome in many ways yet bombed, so it irritated me even more haha. The utterly inexplicable success/popularity of the Fast and Furious movies also annoys me  

Anyway, good news is that Bladerunner is doing pretty well overseas so far! Released in only 61% of the overseas market (excluding China, Japan, S. Korea) and had an opening of 50mill. Should do minimum of 200mill overseas I think, which should hopefully at least make it profitable. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4332&p=.htm

Ryan Gosling is kinda of a huge freaking deal. Hell, he's far more relevant than harrison ford currently. Also, who holds off in going to the movies? It's like $10 a pop, it's not like its a video game which can backfire if it's bad since it's $60 (on release) You can watch all those 3 listed, Blade runner and still be only $40 in the hole if you happen to hate or be very underwhelmed by all 4.

Still, it's a shame. I really enjoyed the movie, despite being a bit long and some characters/ideas feeling under utilized.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Bristow9091 said:
theRepublic said:

I'm going to disagree.  I think the original theatrical cut is the one to watch.  Ridley Scott fucked up the later versions with his idea that the main character was a replicant.  This was not the intent of the writer of the movie, and Harrison Ford disagreed with it as well.  It makes the whole move make less sense.

Wait, so now I'm NOT supposed to watch the final cut? Does the sequel actually follow the events of the first film, are the endings different on the different cuts? If so which ending does the sequel carry on from? I'm gonna' assume the theatrical release? This is like when a game has multiple endings, I never know which one to pick! :P

The ending doesn't really change much.  The biggest differences for "The Final Cut" are that they removed the Harrison Ford voice over narration, and they added a dream sequence in the middle which is supposed to imply that the main character is a replicant.  The theatrical cut does also have a short scene at the end showing the main characters driving away which was cut out in "The Final Cut".

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Seems like it's doing well in the UK https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/10/blade-runner-2049-top-at-uk-box-office-kingsman-dunkirk