By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

Saw the movie twice and it has left me speechless both times. My friends who I was with didn't really get why I loved it so much. But as someone who appreciates Stories that make great use of subtle symbolism to get its themes across. I was in awe. From the easter eggs to the thematic journey of K on his discovery of self. The twist and the brewing conflict in the background.

Even the cinematography was symbolic. For the first half of the film, K believes he is nothing more than a man made product. He feels as if he is cold, lifeless and a machine made specifically for the folly of man. This is reflected in the grey and dark atmosphere that dominates the movies first half.

When he starts buying into the idea that he may actually be the son of Deckard, we see the cinematography adopt a more warm and vibrant tone. He suddenly feels as if he truly is alive.

I have yet to see a bad movie from Denis V. Sicario made me a believer that Benicio Del Toro is the only man who could properly play Solid Snake and Blade Runner 2049 did the impossible by living up to a genre defining film...35 Years after the fact wow.

Coogler, Denis V and Jordan Peele.

My 3 favourite directors of the New School.

Rian Johnson has stick the landing for Episode VIII.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

Worldwide boxoffice now at 158 million (without China and Japan).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bladerunnersequel.htm

okr said:

Nice. Not the blockbuster they were probably banking on, but it may turn a modest profit yet. 

I can understand the movie being to slow for some people but other than that it was amazing in my opinion. Its one of my favorite movies. Watch it in IMAX if you can, the visuals and soundtrack aline are worth it.

Japan and China this weekend to see if it can manage to make a push towards $300m total.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
okr said:

Nice. Not the blockbuster they were probably banking on, but it may turn a modest profit yet. 

Not with a 150 million budget.

Personally, I didn't find the film was slow at all... It wasn't like Arrival, which I did find very slow and bogged down with unnecessary sub-plot.
Although, I was surprised at the small number of people under the age of 35 in the cinema.
I liked it a lot. It's a shame it was a bomb, it didn't deserve to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was because the film is not particularly plot-dependent, and that makes it difficult to properly explain in 140 characters or less. Something which millennials require, otherwise it's tl;dr.

The franchise is wide open for a sequel. I'd like to see someone like James Cameron take a stab, he's very good at creating films that generate a lot of interest. He's also one of the best creators who builds films to take through a culture/society/location , and the emotions surrounding everything. Sometimes people don't like Cameron's obvious Macguffins (unobtanium), but he always crafts a highly memorable and creative film universe - and Macguffins tend to make films easier to describe to millennials without really spoiling them; and, at least back in the 80s, he seemed to be very successful at working with Ridley Scott. The next film is heading toward the sort of story Cameron thrives with.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

How to spot a poor reviewer:

"There's this element that is similar to some element in a part of one season of Battlestar Galactica, so I have to deduct points!"

Especially if they're hypocritically not laying the same thing for superhero or other blockbuster films which use a lot of very similar details, and mostly all use the same plot with a reskin of characters and settings.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Saw it in Imax and really enjoyed it. Probably my favourite movie of the year. The running time was not an issue at all. I guess audience just don't have the attention spans these days. Beautiful cinematography, every frame a painting.

ShadowSoldier said:
This saddens me. Denis Villeneuve is an incredible director and this was such a worthy successor to such an important film. The original Blade Runner sucked at the Box office too. Hopefully things are different over this film's course in theatres.

I think he’s made 2 very good movies. Arrival was a borefest, nonsensical movie though. Blade Runner 2049 sounds like an insufferable snorefest though.