Forums - Movies Discussion - Blade Runner 2049 has disappointing opening weekend of $32-35 million

Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Not at all, I know dozens of people working on cinema, I still haven't found a single one that thinks Arrival isn't great and that's the kind of people that deeply analizes movies, Arrival is a masterpiece on its genre, a great adaptation of a great (and multi-awarded) novel, from the writting to the perfect direction.

Plenty of people who work on cinema out there and many of them have made shit movies. Plus there are critics who gave the movie a rotten score. I don’t know about the book but there’s so many unanswered questions in this movie because a lot of things don’t make sense to me.

Mystery =/= bad writing. If you don't like unanswered questions, though, best to avoid 2049; it does a good job of not ruining the mystery and ambiguity that helped make the first film so discussable. 



Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

Plenty of people who work on cinema out there and many of them have made shit movies. Plus there are critics who gave the movie a rotten score. I don’t know about the book but there’s so many unanswered questions in this movie because a lot of things don’t make sense to me.

There is a degree of ambiguity, which doesn't mean that the movie doesn't makes sense, it doesn't fully explain you how the comprehension of the circular language works, giving space to some free interpretations, but that doesn't make its reflexions about comunication and language any less valuable, or the execution any less perfect. The novel was great, a very interesting reflexion about the (non)existence of free will, very recognized by important publications and awards, the movie translates the same story with a perfect direction, great cinematography, artistic design, music and a wonderful Amy Adams, it deserves nothing but praise.

And please..."there are critics who gave it a rotten score" the movie has a 94% in the tomatometer... those were only exceptions.

You can interprete its message about communication however you wish - personally, I see the collection of scenes that end up in a twist as shallow mellow drama. Again I don’t know how the book is but I can only judge the movie I saw.

And I guess the reviewers who didn’t like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull are in the minority too.



TallSilhouette said:
Lawlight said:

Plenty of people who work on cinema out there and many of them have made shit movies. Plus there are critics who gave the movie a rotten score. I don’t know about the book but there’s so many unanswered questions in this movie because a lot of things don’t make sense to me.

Mystery =/= bad writing. If you don't like unanswered questions, though, best to avoid 2049; it does a good job of not ruining the mystery and ambiguity that helped make the first film so discussable. 

But I don’t think Blade Runner 2049’s unanswered questions would lead to its plot to unravel. The Arrival’s unanswered questions makes it look like hogwash.



Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

There is a degree of ambiguity, which doesn't mean that the movie doesn't makes sense, it doesn't fully explain you how the comprehension of the circular language works, giving space to some free interpretations, but that doesn't make its reflexions about comunication and language any less valuable, or the execution any less perfect. The novel was great, a very interesting reflexion about the (non)existence of free will, very recognized by important publications and awards, the movie translates the same story with a perfect direction, great cinematography, artistic design, music and a wonderful Amy Adams, it deserves nothing but praise.

And please..."there are critics who gave it a rotten score" the movie has a 94% in the tomatometer... those were only exceptions.

You can interprete its message about communication however you wish - personally, I see the collection of scenes that end up in a twist as shallow mellow drama. Again I don’t know how the book is but I can only judge the movie I saw.

And I guess the reviewers who didn’t like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull are in the minority too.

You just didn't get it the first time but you are too proud to realize. The end shows the deep conflict that this new thing brings and how the main character choses to deal with it, she now knows what's going to happen, can you really change what you already know is going happen? Do she really wants to even change it? 

Oh, and 77% Vs 94%, 6.9 vs 8.4 in average. Pretty bad comparison.



Movie should be looking to get over 325 million by the time everything is said and done. A disappointment... but I'm sure it will have a healthy life on Blu-Ray. Might even come to Netflix.



 

 

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:

You can interprete its message about communication however you wish - personally, I see the collection of scenes that end up in a twist as shallow mellow drama. Again I don’t know how the book is but I can only judge the movie I saw.

And I guess the reviewers who didn’t like Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull are in the minority too.

You just didn't get it but you are too proud to realize

Oh, and 77% Vs 94%, 6.9 vs 8.4 in average. Pretty bad comparison.

“You didn’t get it” - that’s the excuse usually given to weak movies. It’s got a weak plot and relies on the viewer reading too much into it without questioning it.



Lawlight said:
Goodnightmoon said:

You just didn't get it but you are too proud to realize

Oh, and 77% Vs 94%, 6.9 vs 8.4 in average. Pretty bad comparison.

“You didn’t get it” - that’s the excuse usually given to weak movies. It’s got a weak plot and relies on the viewer reading too much into it without questioning it.

Actually seems like most viewers get it, the movie is very well rated everywhere, you are just one of those that didn't, the plot is deeply interesting and completely different from any other movie of the genre, the story, apart from the ambiguity on some things, makes perfect sense just as it did on the book.



Smartie900 said:
Movie should be looking to get over 325 million by the time everything is said and done. A disappointment... but I'm sure it will have a healthy life on Blu-Ray. Might even come to Netflix.

Depends on how it does in Japan and China. I think it’ll top at $275M.



Blu-ray is out, watched it and it is a well done movie - except the ending which left too much open (for a potential next movie).

Worldwide:  $259,239,658  

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/default.htm?id=bladerunnersequel.htm