Wind Waker 46 8.52%

Twilight Princess 27 5.00%

Skyward Sword 23 4.26%

Breath of the Wild 208 38.52%

Other (list below) 14 2.59%

Total:540
Jumpin said:
Hynad said:

At the time of their releases, and probably at the time he played those games, all 3 used state of the art tech on consoles that were competitive from a hardware power perspective.

I don't agree with his stance about missing on the Switch just because it's weak compared to the PS4 and XBO. But I can understand where he's coming from. 

But I played the game on Wii U and thought the game looked gorgeous and played well, despite some framerate issues. I tried it on the Switch and it looks and runs much better on it. It's one of the best game of the current gen so far, so if he wants to miss out just because for him "fun = powerful hardware", that's his loss.

The Switch also uses state of the art technology. While it is not quite as powerful as PS4 or XBone, it’s not like the games look significantly behind, either. It uses chipsets that give it all the required features of the current generation of consoles. Plus it has the added benefit of portability, meaning, wherever you can take your phone, you can take your Switch. That more than makes up for it, and prevents the Switch from being redundant to the PS4 in the way the GameCube was to the PS2. N64 also used low density cartridges and an incredibly small texture cache, which completely nullified the power advantage over the PSX - and so PSX games often looked significantly better than N64 games - it was a wider gap than PS4 and Switch.

I'm very sorry but I'm going to have to disagree here too. If I remember correctly, the GPU of the Swich is based on the Tegra 1 with Maxwell technology when at the time it could have been based on the more advanced Tegra 2 on Pascal technology. Now you may argue that it would have made the final product more expensive, that may or may not be true, I don't know and for all I know it could be true. My point here is that the Switch did NOT use state of the art technology at the time of production. I just wanted to clarify that point.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wyrdness said:

The flaw in his argument about the Switch is that it's stil state of the art for portable platform, TP was also on the Wii which had a far bigger gap between it and it's competitors.

If I may, the flaw in your argument is that you think the Switch is a portable system only when in fact it purports to be both portable and a home console. And to be clear my argument is about the "home console" side of the device.

Therefore my argument has no flaw since it is not about the Switch as a portable.

Sure there is, you mentioned Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess - the N64 may have had a powerful chip, but that was irrelevant due to severe bottlenecking. In practice, it was considerably weaker than the PSX due to the low capacity cartridges and the incredibly small texture cache - causing muddy and low-detail graphics. The features of the Switch are more on par with current technological standards. The final result is that Switch games can look very close to PS4 games, but N64 games got nowhere near PSX games in terms of clean detail and visual appeal.

An additional flaw, the Wii also did not have the raw power of the other consoles, and yet you listed Twilight Princess. If you got Twilight Princess on GameCube, then you had it on an even less powerful console; and I don’t see how you would be able to tolerate playing GameCube in 2007, if relative power is so important to you.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wyrdness said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

If I may, the flaw in your argument is that you think the Switch is a portable system only when in fact it purports to be both portable and a home console. And to be clear my argument is about the "home console" side of the device.

Therefore my argument has no flaw since it is not about the Switch as a portable.

No I don't think Switch is a portable platform that's an assumption on your part I think its a hybrid which either way highlights a flaw in your argument as it's still state of the art because it is also a portable platform which you can never deny it is even if you don't want to acknowledge it as one.

Except you just tried to find flaw in my argument by saying and I quote "it's still state of the art for portable platform" And that's not an assumption, that's actually your words...

Now that this backfired, you are trying a different angle, namely that you admit it's a hybrid and your argument is that I deny it is also a portable? Or maybe you are saying I deny it to be a hybrid? Whichever you mean I have never denied that, not sure where you read me saying I deny it to be that.

I have only said and I'll keep saying it's weak as a home system, the portable side is decent but I have no interest in it so I concern myself with the home console part of it and that part is weak.

Feel free to find flaw and disagree, I'll only ask that at least you do me the favor of disagreeing or finding flaw on what I say and not what you think I said.

Jumpin said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Sure there is, you mentioned Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess - the N64 may have had a powerful chip, but that was irrelevant due to severe bottlenecking. In practice, it was considerably weaker than the PSX due to the low capacity cartridges and the incredibly small texture cache - causing muddy and low-detail graphics. The features of the Switch are more on par with current technological standards. The final result is that Switch games can look very close to PS4 games, but N64 games got nowhere near PSX games in terms of clean detail and visual appeal.

An additional flaw, the Wii also did not have the raw power of the other consoles, and yet you listed Twilight Princess. If you got Twilight Princess on GameCube, then you had it on an even less powerful console; and I don’t see how you would be able to tolerate playing GameCube in 2007, if relative power is so important to you.

But the thing is I did not play Ocarina of Time on the N64, I did play it much later on the Wii, if I remember correctly.

Not to denigrate the N64, I could not really speak of it cause I did not own one at the time but from what I've heard, it was a very decent system capable of 3D gaming at a time 3D environments were still the new big thing in video games. So whatever you said against how good or how bad the N64 performed, seems to be irrelevant in the context of the Switch as, and I said that before, those systems had the excuse of being what they were at a time where technology was not what it is today.

However weak the N64 might have been (and I don't think it was for the time), it was doing rather well at a time where the issue was not how well 3D environements are made but can a machine do them at all? And the anwser was yes, the N64 could.

But this is 2017 and I don't know about you but my standards have somewhat risen and I am logically more demanding. Therefore trying to defend the 2017 Switch's flaws by criticizing the 2002 Gamecube or the 1997 N64 by holding those to more recent standards is literally irrelevant and what they call a cop-out.

Sorry but don't try to get the Switch off the hook by attacking the past or using the past to justify the present.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

Around the Network

A Link to the Past
Wind Waker
Skyward Sword

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wyrdness said:

No I don't think Switch is a portable platform that's an assumption on your part I think its a hybrid which either way highlights a flaw in your argument as it's still state of the art because it is also a portable platform which you can never deny it is even if you don't want to acknowledge it as one.

Except you just tried to find flaw in my argument by saying and I quote "it's still state of the art for portable platform" And that's not an assumption, that's actually your words...

Now that this backfired, you are trying a different angle, namely that you admit it's a hybrid and your argument is that I deny it is also a portable? Or maybe you are saying I deny it to be a hybrid? Whichever you mean I have never denied that, not sure where you read me saying I deny it to be that.

I have only said and I'll keep saying it's weak as a home system, the portable side is decent but I have no interest in it so I concern myself with the home console part of it and that part is weak.

Feel free to find flaw and disagree, I'll only ask that at least you do me the favor of disagreeing or finding flaw on what I say and not what you think I said.

I didn't try I actually did find one, here's a simple question that highlights it is the Switch a powerful portable for this era? Also learn to read context.

"it's still state of the art for portable platforms" 

Where does this line say it's only a portable? It highlights that as a hybrid it's still a state of the art portable as well so again you've either assumed or not read things properly.

You can't go off arguing about state of the art then choose to ignore key parts of a platform's concept that's being heavily selective you may not be interested in the portable side of things but it still factors into the equation.

Jumpin said:
The overworld in Skyward Sword suffers from the same thing that the overworld in all the home console 3D Zeldas, it's an obstacle course to get between points of interest, which are typically towns, dungeons, or some specific kind of item. Breath of the Wild and Link to the Past, in particular, have points of interest, but the worlds are much more about exploring and doing things inside them; Breath of the Wild most of all, as the world has thousands upon thousands of things that call for the player's attention and focus. Link to the past, the game is primarily focused on the overworld, and the dungeons happen to be in it - while Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword are really all about getting though the obstacle course, collecting items, and entering the dungeons... long.... long........ long......... dungeons. Link to the Past's dungeons are big, but take 1/10th as much time to get through.

I am legit confused here.  I used maze like earlier in the thread, but obstacle course would be a damn good description of the overworlds for the 2D games like A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, or the Oracle games (hell, the original too).  It is much more straight forward to get from point A to point B in the 3D games.  The biggest complaint about the overworlds in the 3D games is typically that they are too empty.

I will admit it has been a long time since I did a playthrough of Link to the Past, but I remember spending a ton of time in the dungeons.  Probably about the same ratio as any of the 3D games.  My most recent Zelda was Wind Waker HD, and it was my first time playing Wind Waker.  It was a 53 hour playthrough.  No way even 20 of that was dungeons.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

CrazyGamer2017 said:

For me it's 1: Ocarina of Time, 2: Twilight Princess and 3: Wind Waker.
I cannot say about Breath of the Wild as I don't care for the Switch hardware, too weak in my opinion.
Maybe I'll be able to play BOTW in a few years if/when Nintendo releases better hardware that I consider worthy of its time, assuming they release again BOTW on such better hardware...

Help me out here; you won't play Botw cos it's on "weak" hardware... yet you liked Twilight Princess, which launched on hardware that was even weaker at the time.

Wyrdness said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I didn't try I actually did find one, here's a simple question that highlights it is the Switch a powerful portable for this era? Also learn to read context.

"it's still state of the art for portable platforms" 

Where does this line say it's only a portable? It highlights that as a hybrid it's still a state of the art portable as well so again you've either assumed or not read things properly.

You can't go off arguing about state of the art then choose to ignore key parts of a platform's concept that's being heavily selective you may not be interested in the portable side of things but it still factors into the equation.

You really love arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't care that you think it's great as a portable, it may very well be and I have never said otherwise, I'm AGAIN ONLY saying it's weak as a home console, you know the thing you plug on a TV which is how I would use it which is why I speak of the home console part of it, what part of this you don't get?

Being selective has nothing to do with it as I clearly say AS A HOME SYSTEM, whereas you choose to ignore this and keep talking about the portable part as if my analysis EVER made reference to that part. Why do you even bring that part into this convo when everyone INCLUDING ME AGREE it's a decent system when used as a portable? (With exception made to the battery life) Is there some kind of war going on between you and logic?

This is the last time I say it to you as repeating it beyond this point becomes redundant. Believe and understand whatever you want, it does not change the facts of the matter.

Take care.