Majora’s Mask 47 8.70%

Wind Waker 46 8.52%

Twilight Princess 27 5.00%

Skyward Sword 23 4.26%

Breath of the Wild 208 38.52%

Other (list below) 14 2.59%

Total:540
curl-6 said:

If we're going to hold Switch to "2017" standards, should we not also hold it to the standard of what it is as hardware? That is, a portable device, not a dedicated home console like PS4 and Xbox One.

Now, you've said that you'll hold it to home console standards because that is what you would use it as, but maybe this disconnect between your needs and what they provide suggests that Nintendo itself is simply no longer for you. There's nothing to suggest they are going to go back to making powerful dedicated home consoles in the foreseeable future, because there is so commercial incentive to do so; the market cannot sustain three similar traditional consoles, Nintendo's only real success in the past two decades has come from non-traditional systems that avoid direct competition with MS and Sony.

Sometimes, like relationships, our love for game makers isn't forever. I myself used to be a diehard fan of Rare, but the company drifted away from what made me love it and eventually I had to make peace with the fact that it was over and I had to accept that and move on. Maybe that time has come for you and Nintendo.

That is indeed a possibility, one that I don't like but that I nonetheless must face. As far as the Switch goes it is exactly the case, I was just hoping they would get back to home systems when next gen knocks at the door. But they may never do that and as I said jokingly to someone else on this issue, I may have to send my divorce papers for Nintendo to sign. (That person replied jokingly that I must expect Nintendo to keep the house and the kids)

And the fact that the Switch is selling well is definitely not going to make Nintendo think about going back to dedicated home systems. So yeah, I'm only clinging to the hope they might, it's not impossible but it's clearly not certain either. Perhaps I'm too demanding...

I want to keep some hope because of the Wii, it was a different system granted but it still was a home system and despite that it sold tremendously well, past 100 million units so I hope Nintendo can see that a dedicated home system can still do the trick.

I don't understand why people are so into "mobile gaming", why that is so important to them? How is gaming outside, in the cold, the rain maybe, risking someone would steal your system, risking to drop it to the floor etc. A thing so important, that people want to make that their primary way of gaming? Aren't you more comfortable at home, where it's warm, where you're sitting on your comfy couch, in front of a big HD TV screen, not mentioning that when I'm out going somewhere I'm thinking of whatever I'm out for, having papers to sign, seeing someone, talking to someone, going somewhere etc. Not a state of mind where I want to play a complex game like BOTW where I would need to focus on the game and I'd want to do that in the comfort of my home, on my giant TV screen, how is a tiny screen more important than your big home screen? All this in my opinion of course, it's just my experience of gaming, I'm not saying anyone's bad cause they game on the go, this is really something I ask cause I don't understand it.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
curl-6 said:

If we're going to hold Switch to "2017" standards, should we not also hold it to the standard of what it is as hardware? That is, a portable device, not a dedicated home console like PS4 and Xbox One.

Now, you've said that you'll hold it to home console standards because that is what you would use it as, but maybe this disconnect between your needs and what they provide suggests that Nintendo itself is simply no longer for you. There's nothing to suggest they are going to go back to making powerful dedicated home consoles in the foreseeable future, because there is so commercial incentive to do so; the market cannot sustain three similar traditional consoles, Nintendo's only real success in the past two decades has come from non-traditional systems that avoid direct competition with MS and Sony.

Sometimes, like relationships, our love for game makers isn't forever. I myself used to be a diehard fan of Rare, but the company drifted away from what made me love it and eventually I had to make peace with the fact that it was over and I had to accept that and move on. Maybe that time has come for you and Nintendo.

That is indeed a possibility, one that I don't like but that I nonetheless must face. As far as the Switch goes it is exactly the case, I was just hoping they would get back to home systems when next gen knocks at the door. But they may never do that and as I said jokingly to someone else on this issue, I may have to send my divorce papers for Nintendo to sign. (That person replied jokingly that I must expect Nintendo to keep the house and the kids)

And the fact that the Switch is selling well is definitely not going to make Nintendo think about going back to dedicated home systems. So yeah, I'm only clinging to the hope they might, it's not impossible but it's clearly not certain either. Perhaps I'm too demanding...

I want to keep some hope because of the Wii, it was a different system granted but it still was a home system and despite that it sold tremendously well, past 100 million units so I hope Nintendo can see that a dedicated home system can still do the trick.

I don't understand why people are so into "mobile gaming", why that is so important to them? How is gaming outside, in the cold, the rain maybe, risking someone would steal your system, risking to drop it to the floor etc. A thing so important, that people want to make that their primary way of gaming? Aren't you more comfortable at home, where it's warm, where you're sitting on your comfy couch, in front of a big HD TV screen, not mentioning that when I'm out going somewhere I'm thinking of whatever I'm out for, having papers to sign, seeing someone, talking to someone, going somewhere etc. Not a state of mind where I want to play a complex game like BOTW where I would need to focus on the game and I'd want to do that in the comfort of my home, on my giant TV screen, how is a tiny screen more important than your big home screen? All this in my opinion of course, it's just my experience of gaming, I'm not saying anyone's bad cause they game on the go, this is really something I ask cause I don't understand it.

Well, I personally don't value portable play; my Switch stays entirely in its dock and I use it as if it were a home console. I too prefer to game while relaxed on my couch in the comfort of my own home.

But from what I glean from other people who do value portability, is that they like that it gives them the flexbility to play their games whenever they have a few minutes spare, like on a boring bus/train ride to work or on their lunch break.

I myself am lucky enough that I have the time to relax at home after work and play, but I suppose for those who work long hours, have little kids, etc, they may not have as much free time for big screen couch play as you or I.

This sure got sidetracked with all that Switch business.

Wright said:

You're right, sorry about that.

So to get back on topic, I can see the poll gives BOTW a crushing advantage, yet I've always heard that Ocarina of Time was the people's favorite Zelda game, is it possible that BOTW is preferred in the poll because it's way more recent and that people have experienced it recently compared to Ocarina of Time which is many years old now?

Or would you guys say BOTW is objectively better than Ocarina of Time?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wright said:

So to get back on topic, I can see the poll gives BOTW a crushing advantage, yet I've always heard that Ocarina of Time was the people's favorite Zelda game, is it possible that BOTW is preferred in the poll because it's way more recent and that people have experienced it recently compared to Ocarina of Time which is many years old now?

Or would you guys say BOTW is objectively better than Ocarina of Time

I can only speak for myself, but Ocarina of Time was my #1 best Zelda game from 1998 until this year. Breath of the Wild only just tops it. Both are incredible.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wright said:

Can't speak about Breath of the Wild as I have only played it for thirty minutes approximatedly, but I think Ocarina of Time has aged terribly, which is why I don't rank it high anymore. I know I have Majora's Mask on my top 3, and yeah, Majora's Mask has also aged kinda bad but its atmosphere, tone, time-mechanics and sidequests (and nostalgia, too) allow me to look past beyond its datedness.

Breath of the Wild is a fresh new take on an everlasting franchise, which is probably what some people wanted and what it finally makes them have something to top OoT.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Of course considering how people are lenient in regards to this gap when it comes to Nintendo,

I don't think it's about people being lenient when it comes to Nintendo, they aren't exempt from criticism as history has shown. Nintendo does however consistently churn out meticulously polished software, and for the most part people can overlook less ostentatious hardware if the software delivers. 

Having modded and gotten into my SNES classic heavily recently... I concur.
The games are solid and tight.

However... The SNES was also pretty class-leading in terms of hardware at the time, only Arcades pushed ahead.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Being selective has nothing to do with it as I clearly say AS A HOME SYSTEM, whereas you choose to ignore this and keep talking about the portable part as if my analysis EVER made reference to that part.

The Switch is both and needs to be compared as both.

With that... In Docked mode it certainly falls short.
In Portable mode it still falls short of what more modern mobile chips can do, heck the Switch could have had 50% better GPU performance if Nintendo selected a Pascal based chip at 14/16nm... However other mobile platforms cannot provide the same degree of expectation as the Switch due to having to pander to a lower common denominator. (Usually Mali400 GPU's.)

curl-6 said:

I can see your justification for Ocarina of Time, given that the N64 was strong hardware at the time, but I can't find any post where you explain why Twilight Princess specifically gets a pass when it was more technically outdated in 2006 than Botw is in 2017.

To be fair in 2006 the 7th gen consoles were only just getting started... And most 7th gen games looked like a cleaner 6th gen title.
So games releasing for 480P consoles (Cube and Wii) still looked okay by comparison.

I say "by comparison" as I am a PC graphics snob.

curl-6 said:

Well, I personally don't value portable play; my Switch stays entirely in its dock and I use it as if it were a home console. I too prefer to game while relaxed on my couch in the comfort of my own home.

That is exactly how I would use it. I don't have time for mobile gaming... Which is why I am hoping for a Switch TV at some point that ditches all the baggage like the Joycons, Screen, Speakers, Battery and so on and sold for a cheaper price.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild
And the 3rd changes a lot between Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and A Link Between Worlds

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Wright said:

Or would you guys say BOTW is objectively better than Ocarina of Time?

Very much so. Of course, Ocarina was never my favorite Zelda anyway but BotW did replace ALttP as my favorite Zelda game of all-time.

Signature goes here!

Twilight Pricness
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of time

OOT just barely beats out WW for me.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)