By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is it time to give up the 60 USD maximum price tag?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nope, don't give a single shit about how hard it is to be profitable. It's usually the fault of the developers or publishers for making projects too big for their own good or too graphically impressive, etc etc. A 60$ game with no bullshit practices should be the *minimum*.

I kind of agree. If you can't profit , than thats the dev/publishers fault like you say. 

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Around the Network

Give them an inch, they'll take a mile. Why is it the biggest, most successful publishers pleading poverty and saying they have to pull all this shit to turn a profit? No one forced game budgets to become astronomical. If it's really too difficult to recoup such an exorbitant investment then scale your budget down. Letting the WB's and Activisions of the world charge more for the base game won't stop them from having microtransactions and season passes, it'll just be one more surcharge they exploit.

My buddy has worked with AAA games at R* and tells me they actually can sell games at $40 and be fine. People forget the price was raised not because of development costs but on a test to see if people would pay more. Madden 05 Steelbook and Halo 2 Steelbook. Both sold very well and after that everyone followed. Micro Transactions and a crapload of DLC isn't due to development costs. It's just finding more ways to get more money out of you. Developers also can create mostly what we see now on a smaller budget with a smaller team and just take longer. AAA devs like to get too many cooks in the kitchen and shorten dev time.  No, the price should actually be lowered and AAA devs manage things better and not be cunts about DLC.

VGPolyglot said:
I thought they already were allowed to sell at a higher price than that? Atlus has the infamous "Atlus tax". I think it's just that they know that if they increase the price, that they're going to have a harder time selling their games.

Very much this

But I hate the consequence, which is all the DLC and microtransaction shenanigans to maximise their profits

They're free to try, but the proper solution would be to find ways to make development processes more efficient. I imagine it's hard, but there's only so much money you can get from consumers. There's probably still room for increasing prices, but it's not a sound plan in the long term.

Around the Network

Hell no. The market right now is very welcoming to pretty much all genre and ideas so literally all you have to do is make a good game and market it adequately and it will sell.

I expect next gen games will be $70. Games have been $60 for way longer than any of us should have been expecting.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Fuck no. Huge games like Skyrim and Horizon that take years to develop with a lot of money put into them are profitable at $60, then each yearly cod or destiny with minimal improvements should sure as hell be profitable at $60. I'm fine with cosmetic micro transactions, but when they start effecting gameplay (making grinds very long to incline you to buy them, paying for better weapons, stuff that gives the person who bought the microtransactions advantage in the gameplay, etc) I call bullshit.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Inflation does not matter. What matters is sticker shock. This is why games haven't risen since the 80's... because we have a perception of what a game should cost. If they started charging $80.00 per game, a lot of people would quit buying them.

The only solution is to start making cheaper games if they can't make the money they want to make. Nintendo does a good job of this so it's possible.

d21lewis said:
I bought killer instinct n64 for like $80 back in 1997.

This is when Canadian prices were waaayyyy out of whack, but I paid $137 ( with sales tax ) for Phantasy Star 2 on the Genesis in 1989. We've had some crazy fluctuations up here.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."