Greens 12 4.14%

FDP 17 5.86%

AfD 59 20.34%

another one of the parties on ballot 6 2.07%

a party not on ballot 6 2.07%

no one 17 5.86%

see results 89 30.69%

Total:290

I am getting tired of people here talking about the amazing virtues of the German Model of boring politics...

A fierce debate in how society should conduct itself is healthy...

There are other models that work just as well or even better...

The Canadian model allows for debate and disagreement and we have a normal country that is consistently ranked above Germany as a great place to live.

The idea that you must have always have a  consensus centrist coalition and no actual serious disagreements is rather boring.

Here in Canada, the major split is left vs right and it is a true contrast of ideas and direction for the country and gives people a clear choice.

For example, the choice would be yes to more refugees or no to more refugees in the next election between the two main parties and that causes a lot of debate, anger and division but people have a clear choice.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
vivster said:

That is a normal risk in democracy as it's still based on humans. I'd rather have a more flexible democracy than a leader that clings to campaign promises despite changing circumstances.

Voting is only every 4 years. It's impractical to hold the same opinions as you had 4 years ago despite things changing. That's just stubborn and stupid. If it's a justified change of heart it's absolutely fine and you are free to vote for someone else next election. Merkel lost a good portion of her voters but the majority is still fine even with changing positions when it's necessary and founded.

Yeah, that's why I want direct democracy. Parliament should make in legislation in most cases, but if the people disagree or want a legislation that the parliament refuses they can put it to a vote. It's working in Switzerland.

Imo I find many people dont like direct democracy as they think the avg voter is stupid and uneducated which imo is an elitist statement. 

I do think for major issues like Brexit or changing the constitution and such things there should be referendums.

Having leaders who get like 30% of the vote deciding such issues is far less democratic. 

LadyJasmine said:

Here in Canada, the major split is left vs right and it is a true contrast of ideas and direction for the country and gives people a clear choice.

For example, the choice would be yes to more refugees or no to more refugees in the next election between the two main parties and that causes a lot of debate, anger and division but people have a clear choice.

"A true contrast of ideas" not really, the Liberals continued many of the policies the Conservatives did, and both parties are going to accept refugees, the main difference would be on how many.

vivster said:
StarOcean said:

Hmm.. so you believe something like a larger recession would benefit the country then?

Theoretically maybe. I don't know how entrenched exactly the ideologies are. It might not do shit or make it worse. Not that I wish it upon them but I am convinced that only a big event like that would change things noticeably.

I mean look at the shit that happened in Flint. Did that change anything about government regulation? Thousands of people suffering is apparently not enough for change. At this point I'm not even convinced that a large scale nuclear disaster at a power plant would change much.

Well, as far as I have heard, some anthropologists (I think that's the study group) think thay we're at the brink of a collapse of western civilization anyway. They don't think it'll be like the Dark Ages, but it will definitely mark the end of the US's global dominance. Of course, they say that could happen as soon as 2050 or as late as 2150. But they're noticing the signs that typically show when a society is about to fall. But anyway, when it does inevitably occur -the US is one of the last places you wanna be. 

Nothing will change if it ends up just being a passing of the crown like it was with England to the US. 

LurkerJ said:
Good to have you Germans condescending to Americans politics and lecturing us about which party is evil and which is nice. Newsflash, there's only one party in the USA, corporatists and lobbyists run the show. Moreover, I'd take those so-called neo-nazis over Islam apologists/importers any day of the week.

Americans are lucky their immigration problems are mainly related benign Mexicans crossing their imaginary border, we'll see how "progressive" Europe become when Islamists stop being a "minority", which is happening sooner than anyone has predicted.

How ironic...a country of immigrants complaining about immigration.

Also islamists != Muslims. It's incredible how people from a once so 'free' country can be so narrow minded and xenophobic.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
LadyJasmine said:

"A true contrast of ideas" not really, the Liberals continued many of the policies the Conservatives did, and both parties are going to accept refugees, the main difference would be on how many.

Much more of a real choice then in Germany imo..

Errorist76 said:
LurkerJ said:
Good to have you Germans condescending to Americans politics and lecturing us about which party is evil and which is nice. Newsflash, there's only one party in the USA, corporatists and lobbyists run the show. Moreover, I'd take those so-called neo-nazis over Islam apologists/importers any day of the week.

Americans are lucky their immigration problems are mainly related benign Mexicans crossing their imaginary border, we'll see how "progressive" Europe become when Islamists stop being a "minority", which is happening sooner than anyone has predicted.

Also islamists != Muslims. It's incredible how people from a once so 'free' country can be so narrow minded and xenophobic.

Oddly Muslims in the United States and Canada are likely wealthier and successful than in Germany and France likely...

lol

Bringing in a ton of them and putting them into low-income poverty areas without much social mobility as we see in France and likely the future in Germany is rather narrow-minded and xenophobic.. 

Mnementh said:
Peh said:

Now even Frauke Petry left the fraction. 

The fraction hasn't even constituted yet and she already left it.

It appears to have been planned before. I believe it's a good thing when more moderate people like Petry split from the openly far right and racist parts of the party. I could say I'd hope the party to kill itself but tbh I think all parts of the country should be represented in the Bundestag even if we don't agree with their opinions...as long as they're not openly racist of course since that would be against the German constitutional law.

LadyJasmine said:
Errorist76 said:

Oddly Muslims in the United States and Canada are likely wealthier and successful than in Germany and France likely...

lol

Bringing in a ton of them and putting them into low-income poverty areas without much social mobility as we see in France and likely the future in Germany is rather narrow-minded and xenophobic.. 

What makes you think you know anything about Muslims in Gernany?! We have a lot of wealthy and successful Muslims over here. And a lot of hard working ones too. Stop generalising and listening to Trump please.

And for god's sake... let us deal with our problems please. 

LadyJasmine said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, that's why I want direct democracy. Parliament should make in legislation in most cases, but if the people disagree or want a legislation that the parliament refuses they can put it to a vote. It's working in Switzerland.

Imo I find many people dont like direct democracy as they think the avg voter is stupid and uneducated which imo is an elitist statement. 

I do think for major issues like Brexit or changing the constitution and such things there should be referendums.

Having leaders who get like 30% of the vote deciding such issues is far less democratic. 

Agreed.

Also, if some say people are too stupid to decide politics, they basically argue against democracy at all. I don't understand how that is an argument against direct democracy but not against representative democracy. It just makes no sense.

Besides there is a simple solution: the political parties should be instructed by the constitution, that they have the duty to educate people about politics. Simple solutions to the perceived problem that the voters are too uneducated to decide political issues.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]