By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR sold 500k in three month period through June

Medisti said:

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. Most of those can be played on regular PS4, so I'll just play them there. There's no obligation to play them in VR. If Breath of the Wild had been on PS4, I'd have gotten it there. But it's not. It's only on Switch and if you hate yourself Wii U, so I had no choice but to buy a Switch to play it. That's a killer app. Something great you have to buy the hardware for.

I know this is your stance, and what you are looking for, but I wanted to chime in with some thoughts. I am not really sure how to get across what I want to say, but I will try. 

From my expereince playing games in VR is the single biggest jump in the history of this indursty. Even games like RE7 or Driveclub which are possible to play on a standard display are massively enhanced by VR. The immersion, sense of scale, field of view, awareness, and so much more are either cranked up, or offering an expereince completely impossible on traditional displays. As I said, that applies to every game I have played in VR. 

I know not everyone will have the same feelings, but for me, after playing games in VR, I really don't like going back to traditional displays. I have a 75" 4K HDR screen, that cost me 10K, and a VR Headset that cost me $500, and in the last year I have got much more joy and long lasting memories from PSVR. 

Looking forward, I have much more excitement for games in VR. Even a title like Gran Turismo Sport which is very limited in the VR department, my interest in the game lies with how that expereince is. In fact, I most likely will only ever play the VR portions. Beyond GTS, I really want the ability to play games like God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Far Cry 5, and pretty much all future titles in VR.

To me going back and playing games on traditional displays now that VR is here is the equivilant of playing games on an old Black and White TV after HD became a thing. Or, playing games with mono sound when we have stereo or surrond sound. I could play horizan in B&W with mono sound, but it is much better in Checker Board 4K HDR with 9.2ch Surround Sound. Similarly, I could play RE7 in 4K, but it is much better in VR.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I don't understand why people care about VR and I never want it to become the norm. Oh well. I'll be dead long before it becomes the norm, or even very popular.

By the time it's not a niche gimmick it won't need big bulky goggles. It will just be a holodeck. Agree with you btw.

Medisti said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm curious what would constitute a killer app?

I've played many already, RE7, DC, Dirt Rally, Rez Infinite, Superhot for example. Yet what would make a real killer app for you?

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. Most of those can be played on regular PS4, so I'll just play them there. There's no obligation to play them in VR. If Breath of the Wild had been on PS4, I'd have gotten it there. But it's not. It's only on Switch and if you hate yourself Wii U, so I had no choice but to buy a Switch to play it. That's a killer app. Something great you have to buy the hardware for.

I don't hate myself. Thanks. I've had no issues with it on Wii U.

Sorry to mods about a DP. Still can't figure out multiple quoting on this forum.

KBG29 said:
Medisti said:

I know this is your stance, and what you are looking for, but I wanted to chime in with some thoughts. I am not really sure how to get across what I want to say, but I will try. 

From my expereince playing games in VR is the single biggest jump in the history of this indursty. Even games like RE7 or Driveclub which are possible to play on a standard display are massively enhanced by VR. The immersion, sense of scale, field of view, awareness, and so much more are either cranked up, or offering an expereince completely impossible on traditional displays. As I said, that applies to every game I have played in VR. 

I know not everyone will have the same feelings, but for me, after playing games in VR, I really don't like going back to traditional displays. I have a 75" 4K HDR screen, that cost me 10K, and a VR Headset that cost me $500, and in the last year I have got much more joy and long lasting memories from PSVR. 

Looking forward, I have much more excitement for games in VR. Even a title like Gran Turismo Sport which is very limited in the VR department, my interest in the game lies with how that expereince is. In fact, I most likely will only ever play the VR portions. Beyond GTS, I really want the ability to play games like God of War, The Last of Us Part II, Far Cry 5, and pretty much all future titles in VR.

To me going back and playing games on traditional displays now that VR is here is the equivilant of playing games on an old Black and White TV after HD became a thing. Or, playing games with mono sound when we have stereo or surrond sound. I could play horizan in B&W with mono sound, but it is much better in Checker Board 4K HDR with 9.2ch Surround Sound. Similarly, I could play RE7 in 4K, but it is much better in VR.

I get where you're coming coming from, but I disagree. When I used the PSVR, it just felt like I had a 3DS against my face and it gave me motion sickness. I only tried Driveclub and whatever the spaceship demo was, but it didn't nothing for me at all.

Colour me surprised. I still need to invest in one myself.

Around the Network
Medisti said:

I get where you're coming coming from, but I disagree. When I used the PSVR, it just felt like I had a 3DS against my face and it gave me motion sickness. I only tried Driveclub and whatever the spaceship demo was, but it didn't nothing for me at all.

I'm sorry you had a bad first experience. DC was the first game I tried as well. I didn't jump in the car right away though. First I simply stood around in the staging area, checking out the car and surroundings while adjusting the headset and getting used to the view. It was magical to me. I'm not sure what spaceship demo you mean, Eve Valkyrie? Anyway two instense experiences in the motion department to start out with. Plus DC is pretty low res as well for a VR title. It's a lot of fun to play, yet it is one of the worst looking outside the car.

Wayward sky, Dino Frontier, Tethered, Superhot, Statik, I expect you to die, ST Bridge crew, Bound, all look much better and are far easier to get into VR. Until dawn rush of blood starts with some easy movement, then you're ready for Thumper and Rez Ifinite. Moving about should be more comfortable by then and bouncing around in a car or space ship no longer sickening. Your brain needs a little time to adjust to a new way to process information.

I'm currently sucked into the solus project. If you like exploration this is the best VR has to offer atm. It's a full fledged game, only 68 on Metacritic though, but VR raised it to an 8.5 for me. Awesome exploring the caves with a flash light or torch in hand and discovering vast underground temples atc. But true, it does look like a Wii game on PSVR due to the resolution limitations. It looks better than Xenoblade on the Wii though, yet it does have a last gen feel.

SvennoJ said:

I'm currently sucked into the solus project. If you like exploration this is the best VR has to offer atm. It's a full fledged game, only 68 on Metacritic though, but VR raised it to an 8.5 for me. Awesome exploring the caves with a flash light or torch in hand and discovering vast underground temples atc. But true, it does look like a Wii game on PSVR due to the resolution limitations.

It's a nice exploration game, but I wouldn't call it the best VR exploration game. Bought it today from GOG.com for ~8 bucks.

The GOG-version includes support for Vive, Rift & Oculus Touch, when you add "-SolusVR" to the command line / desktop link.

DonFerrari said:

Machiavellian said:

So please explain me how PSVR being on platform o much smaller than PC, for a lot less time and lot less hardware sold so much more than those guys? Because only being in PS4 doesn't make it a valid excuse. And in case you don't know you can use PSVR on PC if you want.

Easy because that platform is a games only platform.  Second it has absoluly no competition for VR on that platform.  Third, it was the cheaper option out of any of the devices at that time.  Remember the PSVR was 399 on the PS4 while the OR and ViVe were close to a grand, huge differece in price.  Now you have prices falling for both the Vive, OR and the new headsets by MS.  On the PS4, Sony can price the PSVR agressive because they can take a hit for marketshare.  On the PC they cannot because they do not get the money back by game sales or from their exclusives.

You tell me what advantages the PSVR has in the PC space.  What will drive sales of the PSVR over the better hardware in the OR, VIve and MS Mixed Reality.  What exclusive content they are going to bring over to the PC space that will separate their device from the others.  On the PS4, they have an exclusive base, on the PC they have nothing.

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

So please explain me how PSVR being on platform o much smaller than PC, for a lot less time and lot less hardware sold so much more than those guys? Because only being in PS4 doesn't make it a valid excuse. And in case you don't know you can use PSVR on PC if you want.

Easy because that platform is a games only platform.  Second it has absoluly no competition for VR on that platform.  Third, it was the cheaper option out of any of the devices at that time.  Remember the PSVR was 399 on the PS4 while the OR and ViVe were close to a grand, huge differece in price.  Now you have prices falling for both the Vive, OR and the new headsets by MS.  On the PS4, Sony can price the PSVR agressive because they can take a hit for marketshare.  On the PC they cannot because they do not get the money back by game sales or from their exclusives.

You tell me what advantages the PSVR has in the PC space.  What will drive sales of the PSVR over the better hardware in the OR, VIve and MS Mixed Reality.  What exclusive content they are going to bring over to the PC space that will separate their device from the others.  On the PS4, they have an exclusive base, on the PC they have nothing.

They don't take a hit on hardware. Why even take a hit in the first place if there was no competition? That doesn't make sense.

They're not using a razor blade model, haven't been for a while.  Also, why would they not make money on their exclusive games?

Advantages? Price, distribution, marketing, content?

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

I'm currently sucked into the solus project. If you like exploration this is the best VR has to offer atm. It's a full fledged game, only 68 on Metacritic though, but VR raised it to an 8.5 for me. Awesome exploring the caves with a flash light or torch in hand and discovering vast underground temples atc. But true, it does look like a Wii game on PSVR due to the resolution limitations.

It's a nice exploration game, but I wouldn't call it the best VR exploration game. Bought it today from GOG.com for ~8 bucks.

The GOG-version includes support for Vive, Rift & Oculus Touch, when you add "-SolusVR" to the command line / desktop link.

What would you call the best? Well until Skyrim comes out. There isn't much competition yet on psvr in the exploration area. (Sorry, I see I said VR instead of PSVR) Robinson: The journey was very short and straight forward, Cavernous wastes is one of my favorites but that's nichest of niche. (Awesome little game)

Solus at least has some meat to it, those caves just seem to go on forever. Love being totally lost deep underground to finally emerge somewhere on a new island. It does tease me with better graphics in loading screens, yet so far I haven't had any intention to check out the 2D version yet. Same wirh RE7, 60 hours of VR gameplay, zero in 2D.

Btw don't play it with teleportation. I see they copped out and simply let you skip certain puzzles when teleportation is enabled. It is quite easy to cheat in VR though. You can simply stick the teleportation gun through a locked door and drop the teleportation disc behind it. (Possibly risking breaking the game perhaps) Some things to iron out, how do you prevent the player from reaching through walls in an acceptable way.