By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR sold 500k in three month period through June

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I don't understand why people care about VR and I never want it to become the norm. Oh well. I'll be dead long before it becomes the norm, or even very popular.

As an owner of PSVR I can say you can have some very cool moments with it. With that said I think it will always be a niche. If VR ever becomes mainstream I can see myself never really upgrading.... VR is fun and all but 95% of the time I just want to play on my tv

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Birimbau said:
Most useless gaming gimmick since 3D.

How is it useless?

As an owner of PSVR, (most of my PSN friends have the same opinion as well) VR is cool for a while, but in no way should it ever go mainstream over traditional ways of playing games.

I have had one since Day 1 and probably around 5% of my gaming time has been on it (probably not even that) 

KBG29 said:
If this is the way Mr. House feels, then I am not a fan of him in the role he is in.

If PlayStation is leading the way in VR, then they should be opening up the platform to other types of content and applications. The whole push early on was to use PSVR to catapult themselves into contention with Apple, MS, and Google as an industry leader in the future.

Sony has an opening to own 50% or more of the VR market which will eventually bloom into the 100's of millions of units sold a year. They had better get with the program, and not let another massive opportunity slip away.

Yeah...... that is NEVER going to happen. AR possibly though

Dallinor said:
Machiavellian said:

Easy because that platform is a games only platform.  Second it has absoluly no competition for VR on that platform.  Third, it was the cheaper option out of any of the devices at that time.  Remember the PSVR was 399 on the PS4 while the OR and ViVe were close to a grand, huge differece in price.  Now you have prices falling for both the Vive, OR and the new headsets by MS.  On the PS4, Sony can price the PSVR agressive because they can take a hit for marketshare.  On the PC they cannot because they do not get the money back by game sales or from their exclusives.

You tell me what advantages the PSVR has in the PC space.  What will drive sales of the PSVR over the better hardware in the OR, VIve and MS Mixed Reality.  What exclusive content they are going to bring over to the PC space that will separate their device from the others.  On the PS4, they have an exclusive base, on the PC they have nothing.

They don't take a hit on hardware. Why even take a hit in the first place if there was no competition? That doesn't make sense.

They're not using a razor blade model, haven't been for a while.  Also, why would they not make money on their exclusive games?

Advantages? Price, distribution, marketing, content?

I said they can take a hit or just break even on the PS4 they cannot do either on the PC.  On the PC side neither will be the case so the price point may not be the same either way.  As for their exclusive games, are any of them made to play on the PC.  

They do not have the price advantage, they are already struggling to meet demand on the PS4 so why would distribution be an advantage on the PC.  Marketing want?  Content ?  Does GT Sport, DriveClub or any of Sony games have a PC version.  If they add these games to the PC space, how will they only lock it to the PSVR or will it just be pirated and broke just like OR games have for the Vive.  Going to the PC has more risk and absolutly no reward for Sony.  They would have to increase development cost for their own games to support the PC where they have not done ever.

SvennoJ said:
Conina said:

It's a nice exploration game, but I wouldn't call it the best VR exploration game. Bought it today from GOG.com for ~8 bucks.

The GOG-version includes support for Vive, Rift & Oculus Touch, when you add "-SolusVR" to the command line / desktop link.

What would you call the best? Well until Skyrim comes out. There isn't much competition yet on psvr in the exploration area. 

Obduction.

Around the Network
rolltide101x said:

As an owner of PSVR I can say you can have some very cool moments with it. With that said I think it will always be a niche. If VR ever becomes mainstream I can see myself never really upgrading.... VR is fun and all but 95% of the time I just want to play on my tv

rolltide101x said:

As an owner of PSVR, (most of my PSN friends have the same opinion as well) VR is cool for a while, but in no way should it ever go mainstream over traditional ways of playing games.

I have had one since Day 1 and probably around 5% of my gaming time has been on it (probably not even that) 

VR will go mainstream, but that doesn't mean it will replace traditional ways of gaming. Mobile, handheld, PC, console, browser and tablet gaming can all co-exist together, why can't VR simply be another option for gaming?

What is it that stops you from gaming more in VR? The games? Discomfort? Would you play Skyrim in VR?

My gaming time is 95% in VR nowadays, 1 or 2 hours a day. One upside to VR being more intense is that I'm satisfied sooner and get more sleep. Time seems to go slower than when playing BotW and HZD which kept me up till 4 am. I could be the games though. I wonder how Skyrim will go in VR. I used to play that till early morning on ps3.

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

What would you call the best? Well until Skyrim comes out. There isn't much competition yet on psvr in the exploration area. 

Obduction.

Yes, I want to play that. But I'm waiting for the psvr mode to be released.

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

So please explain me how PSVR being on platform o much smaller than PC, for a lot less time and lot less hardware sold so much more than those guys? Because only being in PS4 doesn't make it a valid excuse. And in case you don't know you can use PSVR on PC if you want.

Easy because that platform is a games only platform.  Second it has absoluly no competition for VR on that platform.  Third, it was the cheaper option out of any of the devices at that time.  Remember the PSVR was 399 on the PS4 while the OR and ViVe were close to a grand, huge differece in price.  Now you have prices falling for both the Vive, OR and the new headsets by MS.  On the PS4, Sony can price the PSVR agressive because they can take a hit for marketshare.  On the PC they cannot because they do not get the money back by game sales or from their exclusives.

You tell me what advantages the PSVR has in the PC space.  What will drive sales of the PSVR over the better hardware in the OR, VIve and MS Mixed Reality.  What exclusive content they are going to bring over to the PC space that will separate their device from the others.  On the PS4, they have an exclusive base, on the PC they have nothing.

Sorry Machiavelian but we have had for over one year several PC enthusiasts here on this forum saying Gaming PC is bigger than PS4+X1, that they have over 100M gaming PCs topping specs of PS4.

So PC would be a bigger market even when considering only gaming, and since Oculus and Vive can be used to other type of content besides gaming then the size of the market would be even bigger.

If you sum OR and Vive they still have less unit sold and a lot more shelf time than PSVR and weren't able to outsell PSVR that is still supply constrained.

I don't really have to tell you much of the advantages since the numbers support my claim that Sony marketing and selling PSVR also on PC would increase their lead on VR market, because that wouldn't take away from its sales on console, but would add on PC (that if they improve production rate).

But I wasn't the one that made the point that for Sony to make the market grow more for others they should open PS4 to other VR offers and also should offer their on PC. My point is that it would in fact probably make it worse for the others instead of better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Sorry Machiavelian but we have had for over one year several PC enthusiasts here on this forum saying Gaming PC is bigger than PS4+X1, that they have over 100M gaming PCs topping specs of PS4.

Can you show some of these alledged posts from over a year ago where several PC enthusiasts here on this forum were saying that over 100M gaming PCs are topping specs of a PS4?

Twelve months ago I estimated less than 50 million PCs with specs in the PS4/XBO ballpark and less than 22 million VR-recommended PCs: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=163673&page=255#23

And I can't remember anyone saying that the number ist more than double of that. 

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

Can you show some of these alledged posts from over a year ago where several PC enthusiasts here on this forum were saying that over 100M gaming PCs are topping specs of a PS4?

Twelve months ago I estimated less than 50 million PCs with specs in the PS4/XBO ballpark and less than 22 million VR-recommended PCs: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=163673&page=255#23

And I can't remember anyone saying that the number ist more than double of that. 

With this gentle searching machine of VGC? Basically impossible. But can you deny that there isn't claims of PC gaming market being much bigger than PS4+X1?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

So PC would be a bigger market even when considering only gaming, and since Oculus and Vive can be used to other type of content besides gaming then the size of the market would be even bigger.

If you sum OR and Vive they still have less unit sold and a lot more shelf time than PSVR and weren't able to outsell PSVR that is still supply constrained.

I don't really have to tell you much of the advantages since the numbers support my claim that Sony marketing and selling PSVR also on PC would increase their lead on VR market, because that wouldn't take away from its sales on console, but would add on PC (that if they improve production rate).

But I wasn't the one that made the point that for Sony to make the market grow more for others they should open PS4 to other VR offers and also should offer their on PC. My point is that it would in fact probably make it worse for the others instead of better.

Yes, PC gaming is bigger but its not relative.  Meaning you have way more options on the PC for gaming.  You have your indie, AAA, mid tier budget you name it but VR is just one of many and currently at the time when the PSVR came out it was also the most expensive.  It required a beast of a PC and a device that cost more than most people PC and console conbined.  

You cannot tell me that cost of the device does not play a huge role for adoption.  Also the PC specs for the device was way higher than the average PC gamer has if you go by steam stats.  Only now are the prices coming down and I believe they will come down even more when MS partners enter the market with their Mix reality headsets.  I know I was very tempted to get the OR when it dropped to 399 but decided to wait to see how the market matures before buy in.

The thing is Sony has no weight in the PC market.  If they enter now they would not have the cheaper device.  They would also not have the best hardware because all of the PC OEMs has better tech.  MS mixed reality goes beyound with a built in camera for AR and better optics per eye.  Sony does not have any PC exclusives.  You are using the PS4 which is a closed device as an indication that Sony auto wins in the PC space as if the two markets are the same.  Could you give one good example why someone would purchase the PSVR on the PC over the other offerings.  If you believe Sony names just auto wins and people will purchase from that alone, I believe you are not looking at the 2 markets in the right way.