By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR sold 500k in three month period through June

Medisti said:
I haven't heard a single friend mention PSVR since it came out. I did get to try one at Fry's late last year, but I wasn't impressed enough to drop the money on it, especially when I'd need the Pro for the best experience on it. Think I'll stick with my OG PS4 and Switch for now, unless a real killer app comes to the VR.

Most of my friends on ps4 are not really that into vr but one actually said he played RE7 at a friends house and it blew him away.  That was on a ps4 so the Pro would impress him even more.  

He said he'd love to get the vr but it's a bit pricey right now.  I feel the same tbh. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Medisti said:
I haven't heard a single friend mention PSVR since it came out. I did get to try one at Fry's late last year, but I wasn't impressed enough to drop the money on it, especially when I'd need the Pro for the best experience on it. Think I'll stick with my OG PS4 and Switch for now, unless a real killer app comes to the VR.

I'm curious what would constitute a killer app?

I've played many already, RE7, DC, Dirt Rally, Rez Infinite, Superhot for example. Yet what would make a real killer app for you?

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. Most of those can be played on regular PS4, so I'll just play them there. There's no obligation to play them in VR. If Breath of the Wild had been on PS4, I'd have gotten it there. But it's not. It's only on Switch and if you hate yourself Wii U, so I had no choice but to buy a Switch to play it. That's a killer app. Something great you have to buy the hardware for.

Medisti said:
SvennoJ said:

I've played many already, RE7, DC, Dirt Rally, Rez Infinite, Superhot for example. Yet what would make a real killer app for you?

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. 

Does this mean that games like BOTW are not killer apps?

Honestly, it's pretty hard to ever justify a PSVR with one killer app. For a majority of users that would require them to spend 800$ without a game. There are many good titles on PSVR, it's just not for me. But it would need at least 2-3 exclusives to get attention.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Medisti said:

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. 

Does this mean that games like BOTW are not killer apps?

Honestly, it's pretty hard to ever justify a PSVR with one killer app. For a majority of users that would require them to spend 800$ without a game. There are many good titles on PSVR, it's just not for me. But it would need at least 2-3 exclusives to get attention.

It doesn't mean that at all. I said bought a Switch solely to play BotW. That's a killer app. It being on Wii U doesn't matter because I didn't have one and would never buy one. But, if I get a PSVR, that means I already have a PS4 (or are getting them together). If I already have a PS4, I'll play the games there. There'll need to be some PSVR exclusives to tip the scales that way for me.

Medisti said:
SvennoJ said:

A game that can ONLY be played on PSVR that looks so amazing I have to have it. Most of those can be played on regular PS4, so I'll just play them there. There's no obligation to play them in VR. If Breath of the Wild had been on PS4, I'd have gotten it there. But it's not. It's only on Switch and if you hate yourself Wii U, so I had no choice but to buy a Switch to play it. That's a killer app. Something great you have to buy the hardware for.

Hmm all those are far far more different on psvr than Botw on WiiU or Switch.

For me Statik, Windlands, Until Dawn, Far point with Aim, ST Bridge crew are killer apps too. Yet games that only work in VR are even harder to relate to if you're not familiar with it. Problem is, none of those look amazing in any 2D representation.

It's a big hurdle VR has atm, it's impossible to showcase VR only games in any meaningful way. Once you've played around with it for a while it becomes easier to imagine how it would feel like in VR but still problematic at times. Game reviews in VR don't exist yet. I sometimes try to capture some gameplay footage, usually delete it again as it looks like ass, shaky cam cropped in 2D :/

It would be cool if Sony rolled bank for a big project to come to VR. It probably won't make a profit yet if it sells more VR headsets then it's still a win. GTA6 with a mode to play the whole game in VR, tailored to VR with exclusive VR missions and ways to interact with characters would be a good start.

Yet perhaps Sony is happy with the experience they're getting with PSVR already and save the big guns for next gen with a better headset, controllers and more capable hardware. I does feel a bit like a beta test at times, but that has its charm as well. Nothing is set in stone yet and every game is still trying to invent the VR wheel, instead of copying the same gameplay and control schemes we've been stuck with for a decade.

For example I just played the lost bear. A 2D sidescoller like Limbo in a VR theater, think illumiroom. It wasn't all that great, yet getting to try that was great. (too short, long loading times are unacceptable when death is one misstep away) It could have had more interaction in the 'audience' side of the game, I couldn't help but fantasizing about playing Paper Mario TTYD like that and actually be able to interact with the stage. Ugh Nintendo, your stuff is perfect for VR. The HW is not very suited to realistic graphics yet, but super mario VR would be the killer app.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Medisti said:

For me Statik, Windlands, Until Dawn, Far point with Aim, ST Bridge crew are killer apps too. Yet games that only work in VR are even harder to relate to if you're not familiar with it. Problem is, none of those look amazing in any 2D representation.

It's a big hurdle VR has atm, it's impossible to showcase VR only games in any meaningful way. Once you've played around with it for a while it becomes easier to imagine how it would feel like in VR but still problematic at times. Game reviews in VR don't exist yet. I sometimes try to capture some gameplay footage, usually delete it again as it looks like ass, shaky cam cropped in 2D :/

It would be cool if Sony rolled bank for a big project to come to VR. It probably won't make a profit yet if it sells more VR headsets then it's still a win. GTA6 with a mode to play the whole game in VR, tailored to VR with exclusive VR missions and ways to interact with characters would be a good start.

Yet perhaps Sony is happy with the experience they're getting with PSVR already and save the big guns for next gen with a better headset, controllers and more capable hardware. I does feel a bit like a beta test at times, but that has its charm as well. Nothing is set in stone yet and every game is still trying to invent the VR wheel, instead of copying the same gameplay and control schemes we've been stuck with for a decade.

For example I just played the lost bear. A 2D sidescoller like Limbo in a VR theater, think illumiroom. It wasn't all that great, yet getting to try that was great. (too short, long loading times are unacceptable when death is one misstep away) It could have had more interaction in the 'audience' side of the game, I couldn't help but fantasizing about playing Paper Mario TTYD like that and actually be able to interact with the stage. Ugh Nintendo, your stuff is perfect for VR. The HW is not very suited to realistic graphics yet, but super mario VR would be the killer app.

A huge problem VR has of hitting mainstream is the limitations it has on movement. Most people I know scoff at it because of stuff like Doom VR where you have to teleport from place to place, or else you're on rails. I know not every game is like that (Superhot isn't), but that's how most normal people seem to perceive VR right now.

I get everything you're saying. But you said yourself every game is trying to invent the VR wheel, and average people don't want to be the guinea pigs. Tech people are interested in trying it out, but it's not mainstream. Most people are too vain to even try on the headset in public. 3D TVs had a huge problem of people not wanting to wear glasses to watch TV. Until VR has a few games that are must own that can't be played outside of VR (Resident Evil VII could have been one, if it wasn't possible to play it on a standard PS4) and becomes eaiser to use, it won't capture mainstream attention.

DonFerrari said:
Machiavellian said:

Why would the PSVR dominate the PC market.  They would lose out to the OR and VIVE on hardware and pretty soon MS and their partners will have a device in the Market that does both AR/VR for a cheaper price.  If anything the the PC market is going to become more competitive which should be good for Sony.  Better,. cheaper devices will increase adoption of VR and thus more games.  If MS makes a standard framework then we will see more AR/VR devices in the market at cheaper prices which should hit that sweet spot for mass market appeal.

Sony sales are already a lot bigger than the others while they are outside of PC, so the probability of they selling even more if on PC is real, and it's even possible that they could outsell HTC and Oculus on PC as well.

Of course Sony sells is higher.  It was a much cheaper device when launch on the PS4 and the PS4 install base is large.  There is no advantage Sony has in the PC market.  They would not have any exclusive games since non of their exclusives play in the PC market, they would not have the best hardware since the VIVE, OR and even the hardware MS is coming out are better.  They would not have the best price since the OR and MS hareware are cheaper.  MS hardware with controls are cheaper.  So no, there is no advantage for the PSVR in the PC market.  There is no market for the PSVR as a PC device and it loses the Sony exclusives.  Even still the hardware is made for the PS4 and designed to work with that hardware, going to the PC would add a lot more cost in a very competitive enviroment with no real gain.

kowenicki said:
Has it passed 2m shipped yet? Its been available for almost a year now.

The fact that this is in the lead just shows you how little demand there is for VR.

Possibly so, they sold 500k in 3 low sales months, why wouldn't they have sold 1.5M in the other 9 months?

All reports Sony gave on PSVR were of good sales.

Medisti said:

A huge problem VR has of hitting mainstream is the limitations it has on movement. Most people I know scoff at it because of stuff like Doom VR where you have to teleport from place to place, or else you're on rails. I know not every game is like that (Superhot isn't), but that's how most normal people seem to perceive VR right now.

I get everything you're saying. But you said yourself every game is trying to invent the VR wheel, and average people don't want to be the guinea pigs. Tech people are interested in trying it out, but it's not mainstream. Most people are too vain to even try on the headset in public. 3D TVs had a huge problem of people not wanting to wear glasses to watch TV. Until VR has a few games that are must own that can't be played outside of VR (Resident Evil VII could have been one, if it wasn't possible to play it on a standard PS4) and becomes eaiser to use, it won't capture mainstream attention.

The limitations are self imposed, though usually by developers. RE7 works perfectly fine sitting down with a controller. And at any time you can lean around or get up and stick your head out a window to check around. The big fear atm is that your game will be labeled as a barf simulator, thus teleportation was invented to avoid motion sickness. Luckily more games are allowing full movement next to so called 'comfort' options or limitations. Btw in Superhot VR you also teleport from place to place, you just have a little bit of room to move around in in each spot, until the camera loses you or you hit a physical wall...

But yeah, perception is room scale or holodeck is what VR is about. That's not the best way to use VR as you're always limited to your physical space. Once you get comfortable moving around in VR with a controller, new worlds open up. But it takes a bit of getting used to, just like playing your first FPS with a controller, or mouse + KB. Being used to how your controller inputs correlate to movement on a 2D screen doesn't automatically translate to the same level of comfort in VR. Which is ofcourse a problem when all you have access to is a 10 minute demo at a kiosk or friend's house. Plus motion sickness is a real problem at the start. My dad recently tried it for the first time. Soul Dimension made him feel ill after 15 minutes. The next day he was fine playing Wayward sky for over half an hour. Best to start with something with teleportation, yet then you get people scoffing at the movement limitations!

Inside out tracking is looking promising.
https://uploadvr.com/played-superhot-vr-new-windows-headset-impressive/
Some kinks to work out, yet removing the setup requirements is a good step. Wireless is already possible but you will be stuck with a headset. They'll get lighter and smaller but will always have to cover most of your eyes at least. Light leaking in ruins the experience. People will get over it, they have no problem talking to themselves either with a phone headset in public... Sure you can get over wearing ski goggles type glasses at home.

This holiday is looking good for PSVR with the new bundles and more info GT Sport, Skyrim and Doom on the horizon. RE7 is also getting new DLC, Not a hero (free) and a new campaign End of Zoe with the release of the gold edition. Plenty of smaller games as well.

Medisti said:
SvennoJ said:

Yet people complain about no new-genres or forms of play is created anymore and how Sony only knows how to copy Nintendo..

Machiavellian said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony sales are already a lot bigger than the others while they are outside of PC, so the probability of they selling even more if on PC is real, and it's even possible that they could outsell HTC and Oculus on PC as well.

Of course Sony sells is higher.  It was a much cheaper device when launch on the PS4 and the PS4 install base is large.  There is no advantage Sony has in the PC market.  They would not have any exclusive games since non of their exclusives play in the PC market, they would not have the best hardware since the VIVE, OR and even the hardware MS is coming out are better.  They would not have the best price since the OR and MS hareware are cheaper.  MS hardware with controls are cheaper.  So no, there is no advantage for the PSVR in the PC market.  There is no market for the PSVR as a PC device and it loses the Sony exclusives.  Even still the hardware is made for the PS4 and designed to work with that hardware, going to the PC would add a lot more cost in a very competitive enviroment with no real gain.

Possibly so, they sold 500k in 3 low sales months, why wouldn't they have sold 1.5M in the other 9 months?

All reports Sony gave on PSVR were of good sales.

So please explain me how PSVR being on platform o much smaller than PC, for a lot less time and lot less hardware sold so much more than those guys? Because only being in PS4 doesn't make it a valid excuse. And in case you don't know you can use PSVR on PC if you want.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."