Will 3DS or Switch sell more?

3DS 48 21.82%

Switch 132 60.00%

Tie (within 5 million) 25 11.36%

See results 15 6.82%

Total:220
StarDoor said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Superdata/Buisness Insider have it at 26. 

Does anyone say it was at 30?

Oops, sorry. I guess no one credible has : ) EA hinted at 26 mil. I'll just go with 53 : D thanks

Around the Network

Ok, so how the heck is everybody expecting the Switch to sell 70 million units or more? It moves 100,000 a week right now, and for all we know there's just 15 million customer looking to get a Switch right now. What I'm saying is that demand for the system could easily wind up being sated whenever the stock drought ends.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ok, so how the heck is everybody expecting the Switch to sell 70 million units or more? It moves 100,000 a week right now, and for all we know there's just 15 million customer looking to get a Switch right now. What I'm saying is that demand for the system could easily wind up being sated whenever the stock drought ends.

This comment is kind of pointless. It's both factually innacurate(the Switch has only had a few weeks where it sold 100k, this week is 190k ... that's almost double what you just said) and it's also an argument that can be easily twisted the other way around. For all we know there could be 80+ mil people waiting for a Switch. Supply constraints make it virtually impossible to guess what the lifetime sales will be. Hint : Making a lower prediction then everyone does not automatically make the prediction more likely/accurate. 

It's honestly just kind of pointless to predict what the Switch will sell lifetime. So might as well just make your honest guess and have fun with it  

3DS: 75 million
PS4: 135 million
Switch: 85 million
XBO: 55 million

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

3DS 78M
vita 16M

ps4 105 mil give or take (expects ps5 in 2019)- its still trailing behind wii quite a bit, though legs will patch that
xbox 38 mil
NSW 100 mil give or take 20 mil (lol)- unlike the others, its a newborn.

Around the Network

3DS: 75 Million
Playstation 4: 125 Million
XBox One: 45 Million
Switch: 150 Million

Cerebralbore101 said:

Probably because 3DS is going to pass 70 million and was worse in nearly every way.

Also, by what measure is Switch selling 100k a week? It sold 100k in its absolute lowest week, and 128k in its second-lowest week. Even in its worst month, May, it averaged 140k. Judging from the increased baseline in Japan's sales, it's probably selling around 160k per week now.

And, sure, I guess it's possible that only 15 million people want a Switch, and sales will fall off a cliff after selling 11 million in its first year. But that is something that has never happened before in video game history, so why would you expect that for Switch? You might as well expect PS4 sales to drop to 3 million next year after selling 20 million this year.

We have more than enough data to know that Switch is off to a great start.

Cerebralbore101 said:

This comment is kind of pointless. It's both factually innacurate(the Switch has only had a few weeks where it sold 100k, this week is 190k ... that's almost double what you just said) and it's also an argument that can be easily twisted the other way around. For all we know there could be 80+ mil people waiting for a Switch. Supply constraints make it virtually impossible to guess what the lifetime sales will be. Hint : Making a lower prediction then everyone does not automatically make the prediction more likely/accurate. 

That's very true, but even with a sustained 200,000 units per week for the next four to five years it would still hit around 50 million. 200,000 per week for 52 weeks in a year, makes 10,400,000 per year. If Switch has another 4.5 years in it's life cycle then that's around 47 million more units (10.4 million x 4.5). But yeah, maybe there are 80 million customers out there waiting. I'll stick with my 50,000,000 sales prediction though. Not trying to be pessimistic at all. IMO 50 million units sold is a huge success. 

StarDoor said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Probably because 3DS is going to pass 70 million and was worse in nearly every way.

Also, by what measure is Switch selling 100k a week? It sold 100k in its absolute lowest week, and 128k in its second-lowest week. Even in its worst month, May, it averaged 140k. Judging from the increased baseline in Japan's sales, it's probably selling around 160k per week now.

And, sure, I guess it's possible that only 15 million people want a Switch, and sales will fall off a cliff after selling 11 million in its first year. But that is something that has never happened before in video game history, so why would you expect that for Switch? You might as well expect PS4 sales to drop to 3 million next year after selling 20 million this year.

We have more than enough data to know that Switch is off to a great start.

3DS had multiple hardware revisions though. A lot of people wound up buying two 3DS units. I can see the Switch getting a  remodel, but not five different units like the 3DS had. 3DS had 3DS Original, 3DS XL, New 3DS XL, 2DS, and New 2DS XL. 

Well, Sony hasn't had a home console bomb just yet. That's the difference. 

I agree that Switch is off to a great start. I've been estatic about it for the past four months. Go Switch go!

Cerebralbore101 said:

That's very true, but even with a sustained 200,000 units per week for the next four to five years it would still hit around 50 million. 200,000 per week for 52 weeks in a year, makes 10,400,000 per year. If Switch has another 4.5 years in it's life cycle then that's around 47 million more units (10.4 million x 4.5). But yeah, maybe there are 80 million customers out there waiting. I'll stick with my 50,000 sales prediction though. Not trying to be pessimistic at all. IMO 50 million units sold is a huge success. 

That's fine(and to be clear I thought your original prediction was 70m, so I definitely didn't think you were a hater) but I don't think that's a very good way of thinking of this ... Playstation sold 34% of PS4's during the holidays in 2016, it was something like 6.2 million out of 17 million. That's a huge increase and trying to adjust weekly numbers down to compensate that would just be kind of overkill.

Infact, adjusting for what holiday sales would *actually* be like would put the Switch close to 80 million, assuming it can manage to sell *just* 4 million units during the holidays.

Still, it's hard to predict the Switch sales ... so I won't say you're wrong