By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 11th - 17th Sept 2017

Ka-pi96 said:
Jranation said:

I have  2 3DS and 1 Wii U = 3
I have 1 Switch =1

See the difference?

Pretty sure everybody already knows the Switch hasn't had any revisions or new models yet (it's only been out about 6 months after all!), so if the difference you're alluding to is 3DS/Wii U = old and Switch = new then I think we all already knew that

Then the first 6 months:

I have 1 3DS, and 1 Wii U = 2

I have 1 Switch = 1 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Jranation said:

I have  2 3DS and 1 Wii U = 3
I have 1 Switch =1

See the difference?

Pretty sure everybody already knows the Switch hasn't had any revisions or new models yet (it's only been out about 6 months after all!), so if the difference you're alluding to is 3DS/Wii U = old and Switch = new then I think we all already knew that

xD haha well said.  

@tbone 

Yes that point is valid and makes it harder for the Switch in that sense. But it also has a positive.  Having two platforms libraries all focused on 1 means that platform gets more games and therefore more appealing.  More people might buy a switch because it's got a more attractive library then a portable or home console from Nintendo would on their own.  

So while they lose overlapping sales they also gain extra potentially. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Jranation said:

Then the first 6 months:

I have 1 3DS, and 1 Wii U = 2

I have 1 Switch = 1 

I get the point you're trying to make, but you should also take in to account the fact that many 3DS owners never owned any Wii Us. I think it's also much more likely for people to eventually own multiple Switches than for people to have owned multiple Wii Us.

While I agree that 3DS+Wii U comparison isn't like for like I do still think it's more accurate than a Wii U only vs Switch comparison. Of course I think 3DS vs Switch would make the fairest comparison though.

Why is Wii U vs Switch not good? 

When you got sites comparing PS4 vs Switch. Or XB1 vs Switch

Unless its like: 

In Japan: Switch vs 3DS

In America and EU : Switch vs PS4

Pocky Lover Boy! 

People are still going at it? Really?

Damn son!

Jranation said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I get the point you're trying to make, but you should also take in to account the fact that many 3DS owners never owned any Wii Us. I think it's also much more likely for people to eventually own multiple Switches than for people to have owned multiple Wii Us.

While I agree that 3DS+Wii U comparison isn't like for like I do still think it's more accurate than a Wii U only vs Switch comparison. Of course I think 3DS vs Switch would make the fairest comparison though.

Why is Wii U vs Switch not good? 

When you got sites comparing PS4 vs Switch. Or XB1 vs Switch

Unless its like: 

In Japan: Switch vs 3DS

In America and EU : Switch vs PS4

People compare Switch to ps4 not because they're the same type of console but because ps4 is sales king WW this gen.  Switch is showing early promise to a comparison to this gens leader is interesting for some.  There is no 1 comparison that should be done.  

There are many,  it's just some comparisons make more sense then others. Comparing Switch to a failed home console like Wii U or a failed handheld like Vita makes no sense.  Not only are they not hybrids like Switch but they also have terrible sales making a comparison pointless.  

3DS and ps4 while not hybrids at least have decent sales so a comparison is more interesting and useful to make. 

Maynard_Tool said:
People are still going at it? Really?

Damn son!

It's a forum.  we are doing what we are meant to do.  

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

You'd be making a valid point if the Switch was replacing the 3DS. Instead, you're talking nonsense.

Carl2291 said:

I don't care if you find it insulting and I don't care about whoever else is saying it on here or on GAF, because it's nonsense. It's foolish. It's nonsense until someone high up at Nintendo directly states that the Switch is replacing or is the successor to the 3DS. When you have both Reggie Fils-Aime and Tatsumi Kimishima directly saying you're wrong on a Nintendo product, it's time to pack up your nonsense and admit that you're wrong.

If not, don't be surprised to see people mocking you and laughing at you.

Have a read of this Carl. 

Kyuu said:
If Switch isn't a successor to the 3DS, then why on earth is it generally assumed that it will be the new home for mainline Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, etc? Do we expect the 3DS to continue selling without real system sellers?

Nintendo made similar claims with the GBA and DS, that the latter is a third pillar not intended to replace the former, and we all know how that ended, so I'm not sure why we're supposed to take their words at face value. It's premature to say what Switch exactly represents.

Obviously, the 3DS is still fairly important to Nintendo when games like DQXI, Samus Returns and US/UM are being made left and right, but if that continues to be the case for the coming years (which I don't think it will), then we might want to readjust our expectations about how well the Switch does in Japan. As long as the DS-family support continues, Switch's potential and appeal won't reach its maximum potential.

So Carl is he talking nonsense?  Should be be mocked.  After multiple attacks on my character I'm glad it didn't take long for someone with the same opinion to show.  And for the record there are lots more like us with the same opinion.  

Kerotan said:

So Carl is he talking nonsense?  Should be be mocked.  After multiple attacks on my character I'm glad it didn't take long for someone with the same opinion to show.  And for the record there are lots more like us with the same opinion.  

If Kyuu starts to argue about how the Switch has to match 3DS and Wii U combined to continue to be a success for Nintendo, then yeah, the chances are that he will be mocked for talking nonsense.

There was no attack on your character, I just said that what you were saying was nonsense. Give your head a shake.

Kyuu said:
If Switch isn't a successor to the 3DS, then why on earth is it generally assumed that it will be the new home for mainline Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest, etc? Do we expect the 3DS to continue selling without real system sellers?

Nintendo made similar claims with the GBA and DS, that the latter is a third pillar not intended to replace the former, and we all know how that ended, so I'm not sure why we're supposed to take their words at face value. It's premature to say what Switch exactly represents.

Obviously, the 3DS is still fairly important to Nintendo when games like DQXI, Samus Returns and US/UM are being made left and right, but if that continues to be the case for the coming years (which I don't think it will), then we might want to readjust our expectations about how well the Switch does in Japan. As long as the DS-family support continues, Switch's potential and appeal won't reach its maximum potential.

The only one of the games you mentioned that has a traditional home on handheld platforms right now is Pokémon. MonHun is arguable, but with Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest all have seen mainline entries and continued to see great success on both home console and handheld platforms. I don't think it's wrong to say that Nintendo's traditional handheld developers (and 3rd parties too) will be working on games for both 3DS and Switch, but using the assumption that those titles will be moving from 3DS to Switch (especially when the likes of MH, AC and DQ are also traditionally released on homeconsoles) as your reasoning is poor reasoning.

That said, I see the smartphone to be Nintendo's own "successor" to the 3DS if they decide to not follow it up with a traditional gaming platform. It's been proven that Nintendo IP can perform well on mobile and the smartphone is the next logical step despite the lack of buttons and true directional controls. The 3DS will remain for as long as it can while being fed on scraps after 17/18, with Nintendo shifting full scale development towards Switch and creating new titles for iOS/Android.

Smartphone already has Pokémon, Mario and Fire Emblem. Animal Crossing is currently being developed and there's a Zelda game planned too.

If the Switch isn't the successor of the 3DS as well as the Wii U, is it just getting a mainline Pokémon for the lulz?

Companies often say that things that aren't totally true (Nintendo did say the DS wasn't a successor to the GBA...). They can't just outright say that the Switch will replace the 3DS while the 3DS is selling perfectly well, but we are still allowed to apply a little bit critical thought to what Nintendo or any other company says, right?

The Switch being a successor to the 3DS and the Wii U does not mean it needs to outsell them combined to be a success (though I think it will), because neither the 3DS nor the Wii U were particularly successful for Nintendo in terms of profit. The 3DS did well enough unit-wise, but Nintendo had to bleed a lot to achieve that, which deeply affected their bottom line. They don't have to do the same with the Switch because the Switch is a much better value proposition than the 3DS was at launch, so Nintendo's bottom line will be much more postively affected by the Switch than the 3DS could manage.

Carl2291 said:
Kyuu said:

The only one of the games you mentioned that has a traditional home on handheld platforms right now is Pokémon. MonHun is arguable, but with Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest all have seen mainline entries and continued to see great success on both home console and handheld platforms. I don't think it's wrong to say that Nintendo's traditional handheld developers (and 3rd parties too) will be working on games for both 3DS and Switch, but using the assumption that those titles will be moving from 3DS to Switch (especially when the likes of MH, AC and DQ are also traditionally released on homeconsoles) as your reasoning is poor reasoning.

That said, I see the smartphone to be Nintendo's own "successor" to the 3DS if they decide to not follow it up with a traditional gaming platform. It's been proven that Nintendo IP can perform well on mobile and the smartphone is the next logical step despite the lack of buttons and true directional controls. The 3DS will remain for as long as it can while being fed on scraps after 17/18, with Nintendo shifting full scale development towards Switch and creating new titles for iOS/Android.

Smartphone already has Pokémon, Mario and Fire Emblem. Animal Crossing is currently being developed and there's a Zelda game planned too.

I can see Atlus still making 3DS games up tunil 2019 tbh, they still have to remake Etrian Odyssey 3, Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 has no western localization (if it's comfirmed it will probably be late 2018) and they could always port a few more SMT PS2 games into the 3DS for easy profit.