By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Officer in Georgia says to woman during traffic stop: "We only kill black people"

It does seem like the officer says it in a sarcastic way, but that doesn't excuse it from being inappropriate. I don't think he should be fired, but there should be some sort of consequence.

Around the Network

That should have some consequence (not too harsh, they don't need to fire the guy). I don't mind police having a sense of humor, but in lights of the recent issues with police violence and the fact that his comment was racially insensitive, this isn't really acceptable.

As a police officer, you should be a moral example, this is a bad example.

Also what would be the reaction if a black motorist made a joke about killing white cops upon greeting a police officer? Har har, I doubt it would be so lenient and "oh hahaha, sarcasm". Could probably end up getting some people killed in that situation as the cop would freak out.

This cop shouldn't be put on "leave". Seems like every cop just gets put on leave ... even when they freaking shoot someone to death in a non-violent situation. How about he just gets fired, like a normal person would at any job for misconduct? 

Superman4 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Jesus, not everything is about gun rights

No its not, but when you are talking about police overstepping it quickly becomes an issue. With no way to defend yourself from a corrupt system you lose the ability to fight back effectivly. You essentially become a police state. Do you think that by banning guns or weapons in general that the police will approach any situation differently? They will still be just a quick to shoot because making something illigal doesnt stop criminals from doing it.

No, stop. You are trying to justify a discussion about gun rights when that's not what this is about at all. VGPolygot mentioned numerous ways in which cops were put in a position of power, and you used that to derail discussion into gun rights. It has nothing to do with gun rights, any citizen who meets the requirements for a gun can easily get one. This women probably could easily get a gun if she wanted one. Hell, she might even have one. We don't know what her situation is, but it clearly had nothing to do with guns. Even if someone has a gun, the police still have significant advantages over them. Their job literally requires them to be wary and on edge 24/7. Most people who go through their everyday lives are not trained like that, they get paranoid around guns and make even more false moves than police already do. You know what would happen if every black person who felt oppressed carried a gun? Cops would be even more worried and racially-profile more.

You're not even necessarily wrong that the answer isn't to take away guns, but that's never the discussion and very few liberals actually want guns to be taken away from law-abiding citizens. The problem is : PEOPLE ONLY DISCUSS GUNS. Kid accidently shoots himself with parents gun? Gun control or anti-Gun control. Act of Terrorism? Gun control or anti-Gun control. School shooting(possibly the only platform where guns might genuinely need to be talked about ... still overepresented)? Gun control or anti-Gun control. Police shooting? Gun control or anti-Gun control. 

Gun control talks aren't nuanced, they aren't the root issue, and they don't solve anything. Police are always going to have some sort of power or authority over your average day citizen, that's what makes them officers of the law. What we should be talking about isn't gun control, but how we can get to a point where in a discussion guns aren't even part of the equation.

VGPolyglot said:
AZWification said:

Heh, hope I'm not a monster for giggling at that!

Monster.

Of course, I shouldn't have expected anything else!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:
VGPolyglot said:

Monster.

Of course, I shouldn't have expected anything else!

Well, your avy is of a monster, but a paper one...So, I guess you're a paperweight monster?

Superman4 said:
VGPolyglot said:

There is a legitimate reason to fear police.

And what is that?

Lax gun laws in the US, the general attitude towards firearms, high distribution of guns and high crime rate. Low requirements to join the police force - in comparison to other professions and countries - and lack of adequate training how a police officer should react in certain situations.

I think this summarizes it quite good.

Hunting Season is done...

As an outsider, your police force (I'm generalizing here given the massive distribution and size of your country) is pretty scary. A lot of them seem to be on power trips, have poor training, and are relatively trigger happy. Unlike any other country I've visited, I would not feel safe around them.

Soundwave said:
America's constant message to black people -- joking about shooting you is funny! Har har. No big deal, just sarcasm. But if the joke goes the other way .... probably a different story.

it is only a joke it til it happen to them 

aikohualda said:
Soundwave said:
America's constant message to black people -- joking about shooting you is funny! Har har. No big deal, just sarcasm. But if the joke goes the other way .... probably a different story.

it is only a joke it til it happen to them 

We have 30 years of popular music talking about killing cops, it's not like this is a one way street. I dont see how people think its ok to treat police as something other than human.

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!