By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

Tagged games:

What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

The Elder Scrolls V. Skyrim. 193 44.06%

FIFA 18. 160 36.53%

They will practically sell the same. 20 4.57%

The rabbids will consume us all. 65 14.84%

Total:438
Nuvendil said:

It's not the technical gap that's the issue.  It's the fact that Career Mode and Ultimate Team are more limited and The Journey is cut.  And unless an EA dev comes to my house and proves otherwise, all evidence points to this being a result of EA being cheap, not the Switch being unable to run a soccer game - a freaking soccer game - on an engine designed for the PS360 in the first place.  

In short, the game is feature stripped.  Gimped.  Objectively inferior in ways beyond simple graphics.  And that stigma will hamper it.  Do your casual Fifa players know all this?  Nah.  But that's actually worse.  All your casual fans will hear is "the game is feature stripped" and boom. Done.  That's it.  Sale lost.  Some will value the portability enough, most will not.  

And the PS4 and Xbone versions have normal old local multiplayer.  I doubt the ability to play system to system local will even register on the radar.

Skyrim is technically downgraded but at least noticeably stepped up from last gen and includes all the DLC plus some added trinkets.  That is, it is a full and complete version of the game + portability.  Not a feature stripped version hoping for portability to offset it.

Well maybe it's because some of the developed content is tied to the engine technology ... (While FIFA is designed to also run last gen systems they started having their own versions specific to each console generations.) 

Even home consoles in the same generation are not guaranteed to have the same content (take for example the Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon series in 6th gen)

Running on the same engine alone is also not good enough reason to desire the same exact content either ... (which is why I doubt DQXI will keep the same level design between the PS4 and the Switch even if the latter version will somehow be able to run the same engine as the former) 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Nuvendil said:

It's not the technical gap that's the issue.  It's the fact that Career Mode and Ultimate Team are more limited and The Journey is cut.  And unless an EA dev comes to my house and proves otherwise, all evidence points to this being a result of EA being cheap, not the Switch being unable to run a soccer game - a freaking soccer game - on an engine designed for the PS360 in the first place.  

In short, the game is feature stripped.  Gimped.  Objectively inferior in ways beyond simple graphics.  And that stigma will hamper it.  Do your casual Fifa players know all this?  Nah.  But that's actually worse.  All your casual fans will hear is "the game is feature stripped" and boom. Done.  That's it.  Sale lost.  Some will value the portability enough, most will not.  

And the PS4 and Xbone versions have normal old local multiplayer.  I doubt the ability to play system to system local will even register on the radar.

Skyrim is technically downgraded but at least noticeably stepped up from last gen and includes all the DLC plus some added trinkets.  That is, it is a full and complete version of the game + portability.  Not a feature stripped version hoping for portability to offset it.

Well maybe it's because some of the developed content is tied to the engine technology ... (While FIFA is designed to also run last gen systems they started having their own versions specific to each console generations.) 

Even home consoles in the same generation are not guaranteed to have the same content (take for example the Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon series in 6th gen)

Running on the same engine alone is also not good enough reason to desire the same exact content either ... (which is why I doubt DQXI will keep the same level design between the PS4 and the Switch even if the latter version will somehow be able to run the same engine as the former) 

Except the Frostbite 3 engine originated on weaker hardware than the Switch.  And Fifa is hardly a technical titan.  There's no evidence that Fifa is taking advantage of some special features of the engine that need PSr and Xbone level specs.  And I'm not about to trust the mouth pieces of Electronic Arts.

And I doubt that beyond graphics there will be any major differences between the Switch and PS4 versions of DQXI.  DQXI runs on UE4, natively compatible with Switch.  And it isn't a technical marvel.  

Nuvendil said:
fatslob-:O said:

Except the Frostbite 3 engine originated on weaker hardware than the Switch.  And Fifa is hardly a technical titan.  There's no evidence that Fifa is taking advantage of some special features of the engine that need PSr and Xbone level specs.  And I'm not about to trust the mouth pieces of Electronic Arts.

And I doubt that beyond graphics there will be any major differences between the Switch and PS4 versions of DQXI.  DQXI runs on UE4, natively compatible with Switch.  And it isn't a technical marvel.  

I'm sorry but your point is completely lost on me. FIFA on PS3 and 360 never ran on Frostbite and also didn't have The Journey (which is more of a bonus mode which has received mixed reactions anyway).

It's perfectly understandable why FIFA on Switch doesn't run on Frostbite as well. Considering it looks good and runs 60 fps @ 1080p I fail to see what the big deal is...

Chrizum said:
Nuvendil said:

I'm sorry but your point is completely lost on me. FIFA on PS3 and 360 never ran on Frostbite and also didn't have The Journey (which is more of a bonus mode which has received mixed reactions anyway).

It's perfectly understandable why FIFA on Switch doesn't run on Frostbite as well. Considering it looks good and runs 60 fps @ 1080p I fail to see what the big deal is...

Frostbite 3 was first used in Battlefield 4, a PS360 game.  That's my issue, Fifa is just plain not as demanding as that game so they have no excuse for not using Frostbite other than being cheap.  It's plain old dishonesty and that's never ok.  And my point isn't that the Journey is a super important feature objectively, but that its absence is 1) completely unnecessary and 2) going to (and has) brand the Switch version as gimped.  And the fact other features also seem to be limited for no good reason will only make it worse.

I say Fifa 18 will sell more until Fifa 19 is out and Skyrim will sell more over time.

Skyrim will probably have a lot of double-dippers that want a competent portable version, but don't wanna pay the full price.

Around the Network

Don't think sales for either will be great to be honest.

It will be ideal for Switch if both sell well enough. I'm more of a basketball guy so I'm probably getting NBA 2K. 

Nuvendil said:
Chrizum said:

Frostbite 3 was first used in Battlefield 4, a PS360 game.  That's my issue, Fifa is just plain not as demanding as that game so they have no excuse for not using Frostbite other than being cheap.  It's plain old dishonesty and that's never ok.  And my point isn't that the Journey is a super important feature objectively, but that its absence is 1) completely unnecessary and 2) going to (and has) brand the Switch version as gimped.  And the fact other features also seem to be limited for no good reason will only make it worse.

Yeah but that's my point. You say EA not using a PS360 engine is inexcusable but they never used it for FIFA on PS360 in the first place. Or were you also angry at EA when they didn't go Frostbite for PS360? I figure you weren't. So I really don't see how you can make a problem out of this. Unless you compare it to the PS4/XBO version, but than you have the obvious huge difference in hardware capabilities.

I'll go with fifa. Skyrim has been played by everyone for 2 (soon to be 3 gens) generations of consoles. Eventually any tit can be milked dry.

Chrizum said:
Nuvendil said:

Yeah but that's my point. You say EA not using a PS360 engine is inexcusable but they never used it for FIFA on PS360 in the first place. Or were you also angry at EA when they didn't go Frostbite for PS360? I figure you weren't. So I really don't see how you can make a problem out of this. Unless you compare it to the PS4/XBO version, but than you have the obvious huge difference in hardware capabilities.

They likely didn't move to Frostbite for those and add in the full features of the PS4 and Xbone because the PS360 are ancient by console age standards and make them significantly less money and are this considered low priority, second rate options for them and THAT'S the crux of the issue.  Their refusal to put in the effort to bring the full version to Switch demonstrates that they think of it as low priority, second rate, not worth the time and effort.  It shows they care about the Switch no more than they do the PS360, systems that are more than a decade old. They can talk about their commitment all they please but their actions speak louder. All indications, all evidence points to the fact that the Switch version could have the full feature set of the full versions of Fifa.  EA has just chosen not to.