By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

Tagged games:

What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

The Elder Scrolls V. Skyrim. 193 44.06%

FIFA 18. 160 36.53%

They will practically sell the same. 20 4.57%

The rabbids will consume us all. 65 14.84%

Total:438
mountaindewslave said:
Nuvendil said:

To be clear, Nintendo has had weaker periods in Europe.  The NES, SNES, and N64 underperformed there.  

The bigger problem with Fifa is that the Switch version is universally recognized as objectively inferior to other major versions.  That it looks a bit better than the PS360 version as EA declares doesn't change that it is missing the big new feature for the game.  As a result, I've seen a lot of rolling of eyes with regards to Fifa.  Skyrim, on the other hand, has had a pretty good reception.  It looks like a much higher effort port, is feature complete, and seems to be at least derived fromthe Special Edition release. I've seen much more positivity with Skyrim.  And the title could very well experience some synergy with Zelda as a lot of people who loved that game and loved having it on the go may be looking for a similar experience.

Honestly, a better comparison would be NBA 2k18 and Skyrim, two feature complete and good effort ports.

no, Fifa Switch will sell a lot more than NBA 2k18.

NBA 2k18 will not be in the ballpark of either Fifa or Skyrim. It'll probably end up sales wise like:      Skyrim >>>> FiFa >>>>>> NBA 18

Yes but like I said, Fifa is hamstrung, which is the only reason it will lose to Skyrim.  As such, I could see NBA 2k outselling it.  If it were a feature complete port and not one already written off by many as half assed, yeah, Fifa would win this easily.  But it isn't, it is blatantly, incontravertibly incomplete.

Around the Network

LT - Fifa 18

Skyrim will have a good opening weekend, but in new year sales will fall sharply.

Nuvendil said:
mountaindewslave said:

no, Fifa Switch will sell a lot more than NBA 2k18.

NBA 2k18 will not be in the ballpark of either Fifa or Skyrim. It'll probably end up sales wise like:      Skyrim >>>> FiFa >>>>>> NBA 18

Yes but like I said, Fifa is hamstrung, which is the only reason it will lose to Skyrim.  As such, I could see NBA 2k outselling it.  If it were a feature complete port and not one already written off by many as half assed, yeah, Fifa would win this easily.  But it isn't, it is blatantly, incontravertibly incomplete.

Interesting point, but I wonder how much feature completeness matters to customers outside the hardcore space?  Portability might trump features for some people, if they believe in the hybrid console concept.  Thruthly, sports isn't usually a strong suit for Nintendo portables either.  I'll be interested to see if Switch can turn that around, though, I'm hearing converts expressing the feeling, "why can't all consoles work like this?"

I don't play enough sports games.  Sports gamers: does disconnecting from the TV and playing more later "work" for sports games?

Skyrim. It's an evergreen game that people have shown willingness to buy over and over again. And playing it on a portable is compelling.

If you look at the history of soccer games, FIFA, Winning Eleven, PES, people buy them on Playstation.

Maybe I'd feel differently if Nintendo has a presence in Brazil.

Nuvendil said:

Honestly, a better comparison would be NBA 2k18 and Skyrim, two feature complete and good effort ports.

But NBA 2K isn't getting nearly the same attention than FIFA or Skyrim are. These two's success is what might affect western 3rd party effords in the future.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

To be clear, Nintendo has had weaker periods in Europe.  The NES, SNES, and N64 underperformed there.  

The bigger problem with Fifa is that the Switch version is universally recognized as objectively inferior to other major versions.  That it looks a bit better than the PS360 version as EA declares doesn't change that it is missing the big new feature for the game.  As a result, I've seen a lot of rolling of eyes with regards to Fifa.  Skyrim, on the other hand, has had a pretty good reception.  It looks like a much higher effort port, is feature complete, and seems to be at least derived fromthe Special Edition release. I've seen much more positivity with Skyrim.  And the title could very well experience some synergy with Zelda as a lot of people who loved that game and loved having it on the go may be looking for a similar experience.

The vast majority of Nintendo home consoles never went big in Europe but at least their brand presence was made up with their portable systems since the SNES and onwards ... 

Portable versions will practically always be technically inferior to the home systems and that comparison also applies to Skyrim too with Switch vs PS4/X1 versions and sometimes there's content cuts too when doing home system to portable system conversions since there's not enough storage space for portable systems or other technical limitations ... (Portable versions usually have different artwork as it is so what's the issue with different content ?)

It cannot be denied that Skyrim will undergo a second rerelease whereas FIFA 18 is a new game that won't have all of the features included in all of it's releases ... (Heck, the PS4/X1 versions of FIFA 18 doesn't have local multiplayer whereas the Switch won't have journey mode so it works boths ways plus Skyrim on the Switch is a technical downgrade from the PS4/X1 versions just like FIFA 18 is on the Switch.) 

SssffffSss-ky..rim?

Judging how 3rd party sports games have been selling on Nintendo platforms lately, I voted for Skyrim. Although I do hope that FIFA sells well, because I actually do buy 3rd party sports games on Nintendo. And, I'd like to see more of them. I bought both Madden and FIFA on Wii U, and I logged a ton of hours into both since they never got any further releases. I don't know if I will get FIFA right away, but I am stoked to get NBA 2K18 and WWE 2K18 when they release so I can play them with friends during my weekly bowling league this fall.

fatslob-:O said:
Nuvendil said:

The vast majority of Nintendo home consoles never went big in Europe but at least their brand presence was made up with their portable systems since the SNES and onwards ... 

Portable versions will practically always be technically inferior to the home systems and that comparison also applies to Skyrim too with Switch vs PS4/X1 versions and sometimes there's content cuts too when doing home system to portable system conversions since there's not enough storage space for portable systems or other technical limitations ... (Portable versions usually have different artwork as it is so what's the issue with different content ?)

It cannot be denied that Skyrim will undergo a second rerelease whereas FIFA 18 is a new game that won't have all of the features included in all of it's releases ... (Heck, the PS4/X1 versions of FIFA 18 doesn't have local multiplayer whereas the Switch won't have journey mode so it works boths ways plus Skyrim on the Switch is a technical downgrade from the PS4/X1 versions just like FIFA 18 is on the Switch.) 

It's not the technical gap that's the issue.  It's the fact that Career Mode and Ultimate Team are more limited and The Journey is cut.  And unless an EA dev comes to my house and proves otherwise, all evidence points to this being a result of EA being cheap, not the Switch being unable to run a soccer game - a freaking soccer game - on an engine designed for the PS360 in the first place.  

In short, the game is feature stripped.  Gimped.  Objectively inferior in ways beyond simple graphics.  And that stigma will hamper it.  Do your casual Fifa players know all this?  Nah.  But that's actually worse.  All your casual fans will hear is "the game is feature stripped" and boom. Done.  That's it.  Sale lost.  Some will value the portability enough, most will not.  

And the PS4 and Xbone versions have normal old local multiplayer.  I doubt the ability to play system to system local will even register on the radar.

Skyrim is technically downgraded but at least noticeably stepped up from last gen and includes all the DLC plus some added trinkets.  That is, it is a full and complete version of the game + portability.  Not a feature stripped version hoping for portability to offset it.

I hope both will do well, I am going for Skyrim, & NBA 2K, I will decide about FIFA after that