By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

Tagged games:

What is going to sell better on the Switch, Skyrim or FIFA 18?

The Elder Scrolls V. Skyrim. 193 44.06%

FIFA 18. 160 36.53%

They will practically sell the same. 20 4.57%

The rabbids will consume us all. 65 14.84%

Total:438

Well, with Skyrim getting exclusive Switch content, and FIFA being a dumbed down version from the PS4/X1, I'd say Skyrim will have the most hype.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
sethnintendo said:

They still own a 10% stake in Mariners....

I thought they sold that stake a year or so back.  No?

They had over 50% controlling interest in the club and sold a majority of it about year back or so.  They still retain a 10% stake in the club. 

"On April 27, 2016, Nintendo of America issued a press release stating it would sell most shares it held of Seattle Mariners ownership to First Avenue Entertainment limited partnership. Nintendo retained a 10% ownership of the team after the sale was completed in August 2016."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Mariners

Profits from the sale was about 661 million US dollars and they still have a 10% stake of a 1.4 billion dollar club.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/22/12584458/nintendo-seattle-mariners-sale-661-million

i reckon Skyrim - there's a lot of people like me who started it and never finished it but having it as a handheld option will attract a lot of people.

sethnintendo said:
VAMatt said:

I thought they sold that stake a year or so back.  No?

They had over 50% controlling interest in the club and sold a majority of it about year back or so.  They still retain a 10% stake in the club. 

"On April 27, 2016, Nintendo of America issued a press release stating it would sell most shares it held of Seattle Mariners ownership to First Avenue Entertainment limited partnership. Nintendo retained a 10% ownership of the team after the sale was completed in August 2016."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Mariners

Profits from the sale was about 661 million US dollars and they still have a 10% stake of a 1.4 billion dollar club.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/22/12584458/nintendo-seattle-mariners-sale-661-million

I see.  Thanks for the info.  

I certainly hope that people don't buy FIFA on Switch. Its a hobbled version of a multiplat game. Buy it on the system that gives you all of the features, so devs won't keep doing this kind of crap.

I guess one could argue that no mods means Skyrim is also hobbled on Switch.....

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
I certainly hope that people don't buy FIFA on Switch. Its a hobbled version of a multiplat game. Buy it on the system that gives you all of the features, so devs won't keep doing this kind of crap.

I guess one could argue that no mods means Skyrim is also hobbled on Switch.....

It's a lose-lose situation. If the game sells, we're sending to EA the message that half-assed ports are okay, and they'll continue to make them so. If the game doesn't sell, we won't have more major sports games anymore (and probably no EA games in general either).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
VAMatt said:

It's a lose-lose situation. If the game sells, we're sending to EA the message that half-assed ports are okay, and they'll continue to make them so. If the game doesn't sell, we won't have more major sports games anymore (and probably no EA games in general either).

Same thing as in the Wii days; "oh look, they didn't buy a million copies of our spinoff rail shooter, guess Nintendo gamers don't want third party games."

I don't really consider FIFA "hobbled". Switch is going to have to have some compromises, it's far less capable hardware than a XB1/PS4 for obvious reasons ... it has to be able to run at 5 watts whereas a PS4 runs at 60 watts electricity.

The "don't buy it, hobbled" police are full of crap here IMO. This is a legit good version that EA has put real effort into and there's nothing close to as good of a portable soccer experience available anywhere else.

Buy it for fucks sake. You can't exactly put your PS4 in your back pack and play it on an airplane.

This is a very good effort from EA from the sounds of it and I hope they are rewarded with decent sales. I'd dearly love to have an NHL 2017 port of similar quality (60 fps) that I could play on long flights, that would be amazing. There are a lot of other IP from EA aside from the obvious ones I'd love on Switch as well ... like Sim City would be great on the system. 

Soundwave said:

I don't really consider FIFA "hobbled". Switch is going to have to have some compromises, it's far less capable hardware than a XB1/PS4 for obvious reasons ... it has to be able to run at 5 watts whereas a PS4 runs at 60 watts electricity.

The "don't buy it, hobbled" police are full of crap here IMO. This is a legit good version that EA has put real effort into and there's nothing close to as good of a portable soccer experience available anywhere else.

Buy it for fucks sake. You can't exactly put your PS4 in your back pack and play it on an airplane.

This is a very good effort from EA from the sounds of it and I hope they are rewarded with decent sales. I'd dearly love to have an NHL 2017 port of similar quality (60 fps) that I could play on long flights, that would be amazing. There are a lot of other IP from EA aside from the obvious ones I'd love on Switch as well ... like Sim City would be great on the system. 

It's missing. freaking. features.  

If they gave enough of a shit they could have had the GAMEPLAY features here in full.  If that were the case, the engine switch wouldn't matter.  But since they want to imply that somehow the two are connected, since they use the switch as a limp, pathetic excuse for why they can't be assed to put in the same effort on Switch as the other current platforms, I'm not going to defend them.  Because not only is the exclusion of features lazy and cheap, the attempt to pass it off as tied to the freaking engine is just contemptuous.  This attitude is not something I am going to defend and not something any consumer should defend. 

NBA 2k18 is a very good effort.  This is the usually EA "I guess we gotta put SOMETHING on the system, *sigh*" effort that they've put in time and time and time again.  That last noteworthy effort I can think of by EA on a Nintendo platform was Nead for Speed: Most Wanted in 2013.

No, it isn't garbage.  But since when did "not garbage" become the gold standard?

Probably FIFA, considering how big soccer is. Also, Skyrim is already on a ton of platforms, so a ton of people own it already. There's pretty big pros and cons for either of them of course, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.