By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

Its not that people don't buy PS4 for Sony exclusives. The sales show PS4 exclusives are pretty much the best selling games on PS4 bar the massive IPs like GTA, MC, COD, FIFA etc.

It's that third party sales are far bigger than Nintendo/Sony/MS first parties. Think of it like iOS or Android: you get far more money by taking a cut of third party sales. Its why the loss of exclusives from PS1/2 didn't really hurt Sony. FF, MGS, KH may all be multiplatform but the majority of sales of those games still happen through Playstation, and hence they still get that cut.

Nintendo has to rely on its first party because third parties have left them for PS and now PS/XB/PC (a far bigger market) and it's unlikely they will have parity till their specs are in line.

Around the Network

Is there an update already possible with 2020 numbers?

siebensus4 said:
Is there an update already possible with 2020 numbers?

Yes, I just keep forgetting about this thread because of how miserable it is to post charts in the forums now.

Whoever decided on the acronym GCN needs to be kicked in the nuts until they can no longer reproduce.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Whoever decided on the acronym GCN needs to be kicked in the nuts until they can no longer reproduce.

Why are you such a jackass?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Somehow Rol keeps remembering that this thread exists.

Endymion said:

First-Party games that have sold more than 10M on NSW and PS4 (figures provided by Nintendo and Sony within 2019)

Mario Kart 8 DX (NSW): 22.96 million units as December 2019
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (NSW): 17.68 million units as December 2019
Super Mario Odyssey (NSW): 16.59 million units as December 2019
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (NSW): 16.34 million units as December 2019
Uncharted 4 (PS4) : 16.2 million units as March 2019
Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW): 16.06 million units as December 2019
Spider-Man (PS4): 13.2 million units as July 2019
The Last of Us (PS4) : 11.8 million units as March 2019
Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eeve (NSW): 11.73 million units as December 2019
God of War (PS4) : 10.9 million units as March 2019
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4): 10.0 million units as February 2019

Note that GT Sport 8.2 million figure given out recently is related to users, GT Sport sales should be noticeably lower.

The reason why I stated a year ago that it didn't make sense to claim that Sony first-party output have matched Nintendo first-party output was that , while Sony big sellers grew in popularity, so did the Nintendo big sellers (with digital being a decisive contributor to the growth).

While we don't have up to date figures for Sony big sellers it's increasingly obvious that Switch has yet to reach its peak which mean that at the end of its lifespan the first-party software total sales will be huge.

Think about it, Nintendo have yet to introduce the budget line (Nintendo Selects) because sales are still very strong. Despite the already high heights achieved by now, 3-4 years from now the total sales are going to be even higher. For example MK8DX could approach 70M units at the end of NSW life cycle.

Nintendo first-party games on NSW that have sold over 10 million units as March 2021:

Mario Kart 8 DX (NSW): 35.39 million units as March 2021
Animal Crossing New Horizons (NSW): 32.63 million units as March 2021
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (NSW): 23.84 million units as March 2021
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (NSW): 22.28 million units as March 2021
Pokémon Sword/Shield (NSW): 21.10 million units as March 2021
Super Mario Odyssey (NSW): 20.83 million units as March 2021
Super Mario Party (NSW): 14.79 million units as March 2021
Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eeve (NSW): 13.28 million units as March 2021
Splatoon 2 (NSW): 12.21 million units as March 2021
New Super Mario Bros. U DX (NSW): 10.44 million units as March 2021
Ring Fit Adventure (NSW): 10.11 million units as March 2021

Man Ps2 shipped 6m united in 2011... that is just a crazy amount of consoles 11 years after its release!!!

kopstudent89 said:

Man Ps2 shipped 6m united in 2011... that is just a crazy amount of consoles 11 years after its release!!!

That's the recipe for 150+ million right there: Live forever.

And speaking of living forever, it seems Nintendo apparently just straight up refused to stop producing the NES. It pretty much outlived both the SNES and N64 by maintaining shipments of 30-80k for almost a decade.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

StarDoor said:

Somehow Rol keeps remembering that this thread exists.

That's why he's unrolstoppable