By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

RolStoppable said:
Lawlight said:

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

This was a very beautiful post because it was exposed for the giant lie it is.

By defenition it's a lie since consoles usually release around the same time. Switch and the Xbox obviously being the exception. Would be weird if a 5 year old console wouldn't usually win. Now this year will be more of a challenge for PS4 to outsell the Switch and win the most shipped console for 6 times in a row. Which is pretty in most gens too the PS2 did it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Quodam_Diem said:
Why there is a tendecy to not include Game and watch sales? This is not going to the aythor of the thread, but generally speaking.

Do we even have concrete numbers on how many got sold?

Anyway, the reason is probably because the games are not exchangeable, meaning for another game you'd need to buy another G&W.

And if one really would want to be stingy like this, where are the Color TV Game 7 and 15?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Quodam_Diem said:
Why there is a tendecy to not include Game and watch sales? This is not going to the aythor of the thread, but generally speaking.

Do we even have concrete numbers on how many got sold?

Anyway, the reason is probably because the games are not exchangeable, meaning for another game you'd need to buy another G&W.

And if one really would want to be stingy like this, where are the Color TV Game 7 and 15?

43 million.

And i agree, its not the same because Game & Watch were multiple devices that only played a single game each so it belongs in a different category.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Qwark said:
Since the PS2 launched its pretty much a tie though

Even with your arbitrary starting point, 12-7 isn't a tie.  Not even "pretty much".

pokoko said:
Well, most of the usual soldiers have answered the call to battle. I expect this skirmish to last several pages.

On topic, it will never not floor me how Nintendo surrendered a near monopoly over the industry. Has there ever been a documentary about that? Though I suppose it could be argued that Playstation helped expand the industry, so perhaps Nintendo's loss isn't as great as it looks in black and white.

I like that the Wii and PS2 were both beasts but in different ways.

This is a near monopoly?

13 Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) 22.88 8.15 17.17 0.90 49.10
16 Sega Genesis (GEN) 16.98 8.39 3.58 0.59 29.54

mo·nop·o·ly  

the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

Not to mention the fact that:

Here is a list of sales figures compiled so far, including sources:

This brings the total sold worldwide to around 39.7 million. The most widely-quoted figure of 29 million total units sold must therefore be inaccurate

http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 04 May 2018

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
pokoko said:
Well, most of the usual soldiers have answered the call to battle. I expect this skirmish to last several pages.

On topic, it will never not floor me how Nintendo surrendered a near monopoly over the industry. Has there ever been a documentary about that? Though I suppose it could be argued that Playstation helped expand the industry, so perhaps Nintendo's loss isn't as great as it looks in black and white.

I like that the Wii and PS2 were both beasts but in different ways.

This is a near monopoly?

mo·nop·o·ly  

the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

This brings the total sold worldwide to around 39.7 million. The most widely-quoted figure of 29 million total units sold must therefore be inaccurate

Whoa, such a snarky and childish post.  You must have been quite triggered.  That, or you're actually 12, in which case I apologize and you may continue as you are.  And what's "Racist" got to do with anything?  That's just silly, there are a million images you could have used instead.  

Regardless, I see you posted the SNES totals but you forgot to post the NES totals.  That's an odd omission.  Why would you neglect that?

And why are you adding up different generations?  That makes no sense.  

pokoko said:
Mandalore76 said:

This is a near monopoly?

mo·nop·o·ly  

Whoa, such a snarky and childish post.  You must have been quite triggered.  That, or you're actually 12, in which case I apologize and you may continue as you are.  And what's "Racist" got to do with anything?  That's just silly, there are a million images you could have used instead.  

Regardless, I see you posted the SNES totals but you forgot to post the NES totals.  That's an odd omission.  Why would you neglect that?

The racist comment is quite weird.

But hes not adding up different generations, they are all different variants of the same hardware.

As for NES, its estimated that it had ~80% marketshare which is similar to the ~75% PS/PS2 had.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
pokoko said:

But hes not adding up different generations, they are all different variants of the same hardware.

As for NES, its estimated that it had ~80% marketshare which is similar to the ~75% PS/PS2 had.

Oops, you're right, I was thinking Master System instead of Mega Drive.  Damn Sega for being confusing.

80% market share is enough for me to think of something as a near monopoly, especially with it being even higher in North America.  Still, I don't really care that much--if he wants to get offended over "near monopoly" then I can change it to "near near monopoly" or even "near near near monopoly."  It's a ridiculous thing to get bent out of shape over.

The point is, it's an interesting subject that would make a good documentary.

pokoko said:
zorg1000 said:

Oops, you're right, I was thinking Master System instead of Mega Drive.  Damn Sega for being confusing.

80% market share is enough for me to think of something as a near monopoly, especially with it being even higher in North America.  Still, I don't really care that much--if he wants to get offended over "near monopoly" then I can change it to "near near monopoly" or even "near near near monopoly."  It's a ridiculous thing to get bent out of shape over.

The point is, it's an interesting subject that would make a good documentary.

Yeah, Sega's naming strategy was way more complicated than it needed to be lol.

Wii U really hurt Nintendo.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile