By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

Very interesting thread... what about a total SW version as well?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Qwark said:
Since the PS2 launched its pretty much a tie though

Even with your arbitrary starting point, 12-7 isn't a tie.  Not even "pretty much".

When I made the post it was 11-7 since the PS2 launched in 2000. But the odds are in favour of Nintendo if you count both Handheld and Home Consoles. Although my arbitrary point is weird I think OP''s arbitrary starting point is equally weird since Sony didn't compete with Nintendo during the NES era.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Mandalore76 said:

Even with your arbitrary starting point, 12-7 isn't a tie.  Not even "pretty much".

When I made the post it was 11-7 since the PS2 launched in 2000. But the odds are in favour of Nintendo if you count both Handheld and Home Consoles. Although my arbitrary point is weird I think OP''s arbitrary starting point is equally weird since Sony didn't compete with Nintendo during the NES era.

I only started counting which company sold more in a given fiscal year when PlayStation launched in FY3/1995.

StarDoor said:
Qwark said:

I only started counting which company sold more in a given fiscal year when PlayStation launched in FY3/1995.

Fair enough I just found it odd sales prior to that year are included in the table. Anyway its pretty funny to see how Nintendo has won way more years since PS launched, but the numbers are still relatively close. Nintendo will probably win the next few years though.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
StarDoor said:

Fair enough I just found it odd sales prior to that year are included in the table. Anyway its pretty funny to see how Nintendo has won way more years since PS launched, but the numbers are still relatively close. Nintendo will probably win the next few years though.

Those years are included because they still count toward Nintendo's total console sales. A year ago, there were threads celebrating Nintendo reaching 700 million consoles and Sony reaching 500 million consoles. Because of that, somebody else made a thread asking when Sony would pass Nintendo, and I made this thread in response.

In any case, Nintendo having 10 more wins than Sony is pretty close to what one would expect based on probability. The average gap is 3.06 million units in Nintendo's favor, with a standard deviation of 8.76 million. If you plug those numbers into a normal distribution, Sony should win 36.3% of the time versus the reality of them winning 29.2% of the time.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Mandalore76 said:

This is a near monopoly?

13 Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) 22.88 8.15 17.17 0.90 49.10
16 Sega Genesis (GEN) 16.98 8.39 3.58 0.59 29.54

mo·nop·o·ly  

the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

Not to mention the fact that:

Here is a list of sales figures compiled so far, including sources:

This brings the total sold worldwide to around 39.7 million. The most widely-quoted figure of 29 million total units sold must therefore be inaccurate

http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

Whoa, such a snarky and childish post.  You must have been quite triggered.  That, or you're actually 12, in which case I apologize and you may continue as you are.  And what's "Racist" got to do with anything?  That's just silly, there are a million images you could have used instead.  

Regardless, I see you posted the SNES totals but you forgot to post the NES totals.  That's an odd omission.  Why would you neglect that?

And why are you adding up different generations?  That makes no sense.  

I own the fact that I copied the wrong meme.  That was obviously not my intention, as I was only trying to use the exact line from The Princess Bride.  I have fixed in my post and do apologize for the confusion.

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 04 May 2018

zorg1000 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Do we even have concrete numbers on how many got sold?

Anyway, the reason is probably because the games are not exchangeable, meaning for another game you'd need to buy another G&W.

And if one really would want to be stingy like this, where are the Color TV Game 7 and 15?

43 million.

And i agree, its not the same because Game & Watch were multiple devices that only played a single game each so it belongs in a different category.

Thanks, for the response. Despite the fact that G&W couldn't use any media for playing games,I still believe that,it is a piece of harware we should't exclude. But, to be honest, my point basically was that you can't find the numbers even in wikipedia. They make it seem like G&W wasn't even a nintendo product :p

RolStoppable said:
Very nice to see this updated. It's a comparison worth showing to others because quite a lot of people seem to think of Sony as a near unbeatable top dog in the console business despite reality painting a different picture.

Nintendo's third win in a row is incoming with ~20m in the current fiscal year vs. Sony's 13.5m (forecast issued in late October, update coming soon). Then we can look forward to Nintendo's fourth in a row because Switch keeps selling well while the declining PS4 and upstart PS5 aren't going to be able to combine for a high enough number.

Afterwards comes the juicy year where people will be surprised that Switch sales stay high because for some reason they didn't expect Nintendo to launch Switch revisions and continue to make high profile first party games. Good times ahead.

Next fiscal year would be close: PS5 could ship 6 million+, SW most likely will decline. 

Next one Sony will take it easily: PS5 should ship 13-15 million, so even a PS4 collapse of 5 million would beat Nintendo.

From there on Sony will continue to win for 2-3 years again.

This comparison is largely just seeing Nintendo's singular console vs Sony's and Playstation will win that considering its sales potential is far higher. 

Sony is the market leader not for that though. Its because they are dominating in revenue marketshare. PSN by itself makes more money than all of Nintendo. Playstation is now at the point where its revenue > Xbox + Nintendo. 

Nintendo is so far behind in its digital services

RolStoppable said:
src said:

Next fiscal year would be close: PS5 could ship 6 million+, SW most likely will decline. 

Next one Sony will take it easily: PS5 should ship 13-15 million, so even a PS4 collapse of 5 million would beat Nintendo.

From there on Sony will continue to win for 2-3 years again.

This comparison is largely just seeing Nintendo's singular console vs Sony's and Playstation will win that considering its sales potential is far higher. 

Sony is the market leader not for that though. Its because they are dominating in revenue marketshare. PSN by itself makes more money than all of Nintendo. Playstation is now at the point where its revenue > Xbox + Nintendo. 

Nintendo is so far behind in its digital services

Sony isn't the market leader. They greatly benefit from a reality distortion field that arranges various metrics to make them look more successful than Nintendo when they really haven't been for the majority of time. One such example is in your post with the revenue argument.

But as the business world knows: Revenue is vanity, profit is sanity.

That's why people have to ask themselves how Sony can have such a hard time to make Nintendo-like profits despite achieving so much more revenue than Nintendo.

Playstation's revenue > Nintendo + Xbox revenue

Thats what you call dominant: Playstation's market share is now bigger than both its competitors combined. PSN alone is making more money than all of Nintendo.

Your business rule is completely wrong. Uber, Amazon, Netflix are all the market leader due to their revenue which indicates their marketshare. No competent investor says Uber, Amazon, Netflix are not the market leader just because their margins were low or negative lol

OPERATING PROFIT

FY 2019:

Playstation - 311 billion yen

Nintendo - 194 billion yen

FY 2020 forecast:

Playstation - 280 billion yen

Nintendo - 180 billion yen

So not only is Playstation dominating marketshare, but its also dominating profits. 

Last edited by src - on 28 February 2020

Mandalore76 said:

13 Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) 22.88 8.15 17.17 0.90 49.10
16 Sega Genesis (GEN) 16.98 8.39 3.58 0.59 2

Not to mention the fact that:

Here is a list of sales figures compiled so far, including sources:

This brings the total sold worldwide to around 39.7 million. The most widely-quoted figure of 29 million total units sold must therefore be inaccurate

http://segatastic.blogspot.com/2009/12/mega-drive-sales-figures-update.html

The 29 million figure isn't inaccurate per se, the problem is that it wasn't really made clear what it really was.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive had shipped a total of 28.54 million units as March 1996 (source: Sega).

The final Genesis/Mega Drive total shipment reported by Sega was 30.75 million units (you can find it in any CESA White Paper report).

It doesn't matter if you source where a figure come from if the source itself is crap.

As an example looking at the above sales figures there are no proofs that Majesco's Genesis 3 ever shipped 2 million units (in fact the sell-through given by NPD for the US market is less than half).

Similarly the Nomad's figure has no solid backing.

The MD shipment figure for Japan is also wrong, MD final LTD in the domestic market wass 3.58 million units.

There is the case that Sega wasn't the only manufacturer of the Genesis/Mega Drive therefore at the official Sega total shipment of 30.75M you need to add the units shipped by others (the most famous of which is TecToy for the south american markets).

But even under these circumstances the total shipment for Genesis/Mega Drive is closer to 35M than 40M like that bullshit blog want to make believe.

Last edited by Endymion - on 29 February 2020