By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

Do we think Nintendo will beat their new forecasts?

15 Million Nintendo Switch and 6.4 million 3DS shipped by March 31st 2018

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180131e.pdf#page=8

I that would be 21.4 Million Total.

Also, I hear PS4 will be down this FY from 20M last FY, due to over shipping last FY. (even though sell-through will be up YOY helping to clear last FY's stock)

BTW, Do we still get PS Vita numbers, or are we just going to use estimates now?

Around the Network
trent44 said:
Do we think Nintendo will beat their new forecasts?

15 Million Nintendo Switch and 6.4 million 3DS shipped by March 31st 2018

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180131e.pdf#page=8

I that would be 21.4 Million Total.

Also, I hear PS4 will be down this FY from 20M last FY, due to over shipping last FY. (even though sell-through will be up YOY helping to clear last FY's stock)

BTW, Do we still get PS Vita numbers, or are we just going to use estimates now?

This is the final quarter of the fiscal year, so each company's projections are going to be very close to actual shipments. If Nintendo beats their new forecast, it likely won't be by much.

As for your next point, yes, Sony forecasts that PS4 will ship 19M for FY3/2018. In order to reach this, PS4 needs to ship 2.5M more in this quarter, which is in-line with how much they've shipped in previous Q4s.

Finally, no, we don't get PS Vita numbers. Sony stopped revealing precise shipments for any of their consoles in 2012. When PS4 came out in 2013 and was successful, they started sharing those numbers, but PS3 and Vita are mysteries after March 2012.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vgsales/images/7/70/Sony_consoles_shipments.jpg

Final Poll Results for FY3/2018:

Which company will ship the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony 83 59.71%

Nintendo 43 30.94%

Microsoft (not that we'd know) 2 1.44%

See results 11 7.91%

Total: 139

Final Shipment Numbers:

3DS: 6.40 million
PSV: 0.60 million (estimate based on Vita selling ~250k in Japan during the fiscal year)
PS4: 19 million
NS: 15.05 million

Nintendo: 21.45 million
Sony: 19.6 million

Is the Switch counted as a home console or portable in this thread?

Around the Network

Nintendo really was the dark horse to bet on last FY. Surprising that they won. Then again Nintendo is #1 in the hardware business for a reason.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

VGPolyglot said:
Is the Switch counted as a home console or portable in this thread?

Previously, I was counting it as both, but now I'm just putting it in its own category.

StarDoor said:

Final Poll Results for FY3/2018:

Which company will ship the most consoles in the fiscal year ending March 2018?

Sony 83 59.71%

Nintendo 43 30.94%

Microsoft (not that we'd know) 2 1.44%

See results 11 7.91%

Total: 139

Final Shipment Numbers:

3DS: 6.40 million
PSV: 0.60 million (estimate based on Vita selling ~250k in Japan during the fiscal year)
PS4: 19 million
NS: 15.05 million

Nintendo: 21.45 million
Sony: 19.6 million

Interesting. I guess the results in the poll will be exactly the opposite (since Nintendo expects to ship 24m HW and Sony 16m).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

Lawlight said:

I’m very surprised that Sony won on the console front. A console in its fifth year winning is a rarity.

I very much doubt you, after how much you went on about the Switch not having stock issues