By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo VS Sony Fiscal Years: Global Edition

DanneSandin said:
Damn that's an impressive amount of work you must have put Into this! Quite an interesting comparison though. Even though Nintendo has "won" more often than not, Sony isn't far behind in total sales - AND they've har fewer consoles. I wonder if the Switch alone Will be able to turn the tides for Nintendo again, but I doubt it

I think that Nintendo releasing and selling consoles earlier is sort of less relevant because the industry was smaller back then (in terms of companies and consumers).

Around the Network

Good work man!

Thanks for the trouble, this too was very informative, just like last time with the North America market. ;)

Japan and maybe Europe next time?

I wish we had Microsoft numbers to make it all perfect. :(

Thanks for the data!

I prefer to have a column for each system, so I reformatted the data a bit. It is easier to show the total units at the bottom this way.

I also added the hardware and software totals (VGC data and official Nintendo data) for validation/comparison... couldn't find official cumulative hardware or software sales for each PlayStation system.

Your GB data is 1.7 million units higher and your N64 data is 1.5 million units higher than Nintendo's offical numbers, better recheck them.

No PSVita numbers for this year yet?

It's not much, but the handheld is still selling something worldwide unlike the Nintendo WiiU, right?

An average of 10 to 15k a week if I'm not mistaken. (Vgchartz) 🤔

Conina said:

Thanks for the data!

I prefer to have a column for each system, so I reformatted the data a bit. It is easier to show the total units at the bottom this way.

I also added the hardware and software totals (VGC data and official Nintendo data) for validation/comparison... couldn't find official cumulative hardware or software sales for each PlayStation system.

Your GB data is 1.7 million units higher and your N64 data is 1.5 million units higher than Nintendo's offical numbers, better recheck them.

Yeah, I would've preferred a column for each system as well, but VGChartz would explode having a chart with 20 columns. This way, people who want to copy the data into their own spreadsheets can do so, which wouldn't be possible if I had used images.

And the reason that the GB and N64 don't add up is because in FY3/2000 and earlier, Nintendo's financial reports tracked shipments from Nintendo itself to its regional subsidiaries, like Nintendo of America. After FY3/2001, they started revealing sell-in to retailers. So those two numbers don't match up, because Nintendo had lots of leftover stock of those two consoles at the end of the generation.

Sony did the same thing before FY/2007, which is especially confusing in the case of something like the PSP or PS3. In FY3/2007, the PS3 apparently had 5.5 million "Cumulative Production Shipments of Hardware," but only 3.5 million in "Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales".

https://web.archive.org/web/20090207211046/http://www.scei.co.jp:80/corporate/data/bizdataps3_e.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20130927211956/http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

So neither Nintendo's pre-2001 numbers or Sony's pre-2007 numbers actually match up to sell-in, but I figured they were close enough.

Around the Network

Very interesting data. Thanks for the work and for sharing OP

Nice work, pretty much confirms Nintendo is king of handhelds. While Sony is dominant in Home consoles, selling about as much as all of its competitors combined.

A total software comparison would be interesting too, but I don't think we have reliable data for that. Sony would definitely close some of the gap due Home consoles having higher attach rate.

StarDoor said:
Intrinsic said:
Good work..... thanks.

I think if there is one thing this data makes really clear, its that Nintendo is a handheld company.

For curiosity's sake, what do you classify the Switch as?

Well.... I think its what nintendo should always have been.... or itsthe best of nintendo.

Its a hybrid. Its a home console and a handheld...... its about time nintendo merged their two houses......

I dont see Nintendo winning until fiscal year ending March 2020.
Any Nintendo is dominating, especially in the handheld market.

From March to June 30th Nintendo Switch's sales were 4.7, making it so that an average of 38,524 consoles were sold per day. Playstation 4 sold 3.3 million consoles from April 1st to June 30th, making it sell an average of 36,263 consoles were sold per day. Obviously averages aren't accurate though and when you consider how front loaded the Switch sales are in it's first month(57% of Switch sales were in it's first month), Playstation 4 has a great chance of exceeding the Switch and the 3ds this year. Sony expects to sell 18 million PS4's by the end of this year, Nintendo expect 10 million Switch's to be sold and 6 million 3Ds to be sold through to March of the fiscal year.

Playstation 4 is already on track to sell 13 million but including Uncharted and Novemember/December sales it's very likely to beat Nintendo.