By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Which is better? MCU or DCU

Which one is better?

Marvel Cinematic Universe 173 75.88%

DC Cinematic Universe 55 24.12%

Total:228

Superman and Batman are my favorite comic book characters so I choose DC. I liked the first two Tobey Spiderman movies, thought the third was meh... didn't even bother with The Amazing Emo-Spiderman and haven't seen Homecoming. But outside of Spiderman, I don't like one single Marvel hero/superhero.

Around the Network

The one that doesn't have Deadpool. That movie was absolutely horrible.

Here's the fundamental difference between the two:
Even though they both put the same amount of money and resources into their movies.
DC's mentality is to make money as fast as possible, move the overarching plot at as quick of a pace as they can, so that they can get to Justice League, and eventually, Darkseid, as fast as they possibly can. They're trying to catch up to Marvel as opposed to taking their sweet time to flesh out their characters Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg and give them their own time in the spotlight, so that when the eventual Justice League movie happens, the people watching the film actually cares about these characters and are invested in them like they hope they are. It's very hard to get invested in a character when the most I've seen of them across 4 movies is 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, with Marvel, they did 2 Iron Man movies, with the second one featuring Black Widow, Nick Fury, and S.H.I.E.L.D. in a more prominent role, we had a Thor movie that introduced Hawkeye as a solid supporting character, along with Hulk and Captain America's movies, so that when they finally got to The Avengers, it actually meant something. I honestly am not that hyped for Justice League later this year, I'm looking forward to it, and I'm gonna go see it, but I'm not jumping up and down my seat, super excited and hyped about the same way I am with Infinity War, where I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the trailer!

Bottom Line: DC is trying to rush their Cinematic Universe out the door to make the most money NOW, instead of giving it the time and development that it needs and deserves. Which is why nobody cared about the Death of Superman in Dawn of Justice. That should be an extremely huge deal for anyone watching it, because it's THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN, but instead it's just "Oh, Superman died. That sucks, I guess." Whereas Marvel was/is taking their sweet ass time to give all of the characters they have plans for the spotlight they need, so that the eventual Marvel superheroes vs. Thanos clash will be a HUGE fucking deal.

It's DCEU, not DCU :P

Anyways, I find them both great, but I think we should wait a little longer before we have this conversation. I mean, the MCU has had 9 years, 16 films, and a whole lot of TV shows to build a huge connected universe. The standouts to me are Thor, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier and Ant Man.

DCEU has only had 4 films so far. I will say this though. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice is my favourite movie of all time (tied with one other). Man of Steel was fantastic. Both of those films have some of the best scores in a long time, thanks to Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL. Aside from Patrick Doyle's score for Thor, the MCU has been lacking in that department. Suicide Squad was a dud though. There were aspects of it that worked well, the actors and characters had great chemistry. Margot Robbie was perfect as Harley. The story was so dull though and some of the dialogue was awful. Wonder Woman was an average superhero flick (which is still good, but nothing amazing)- like the majority of MCU films.

I love them both, but I'm definitely more invested in DCEU. Batman and Superman are my favourite heroes and I think they are being portrayed by the best yet!

I saw one comment saying that BvS and SS are objectively bad. And my argument is... There is no such thing as objectivity. A mass collection of subjective opinions does not make something objective.

Rant over.

1doesnotsimply

MCU > DCU for film without a doubt.

Both are guilty of rebooting reboots. (Spiderman, Hulk, Batman, Superman etc'.)

MCU should bring back Spiderman and X-Men under it's umbrella and then it will be a force to be reckoned with, but that won't happen. :(

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
MCU > DCU for film without a doubt.

Both are guilty of rebooting reboots. (Spiderman, Hulk, Batman, Superman etc'.)

MCU should bring back Spiderman and X-Men under it's umbrella and then it will be a force to be reckoned with, but that won't happen. :(

Spiderman just did.

Fox need to swallow their pride and do the same as Sony did, as a Hugh Jackman less X-men universe is going to be hard one to pitch.

Hmm, pie.

I'm not a fan of the MCU, but the DCU is too much of a mess anyway.

So well.

MCU is better and more established. I want DCU to be great too though, I want amazing superhero movies from both.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The Fury said:

Spiderman just did.

Fox need to swallow their pride and do the same as Sony did, as a Hugh Jackman less X-men universe is going to be hard one to pitch.

Still a Sony franchise, under Sony's umbrella.
Sony still has full control over it.

X-Men without Hugh Jackman is tough, but it was tough without also having Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, but they managed.
The issue with Hugh is that because Wolverine supposedly never ages, he can't/shouldn't be played by anyone else.

It would be like getting another actor to play Iron Man, some roles are so iconic they can't really be played by anyone else without some story twisting. (I.E. Prequal/Alternate Realities etc'.)

For X-Men Dark Phoenix they are going to be bringing back the young Xavier and Magneto, which I am fine with if they do it right.

The other messy part about X-Men and MCU is Quicksilver. They have one version of the character in the X-Men universe and another version in Marvels, the one in Marvel they don't even bother to call a mutant and don't even mention the fact that Magneto is Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's father.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Still a Sony franchise, under Sony's umbrella.
Sony still has full control over it.

X-Men without Hugh Jackman is tough, but it was tough without also having Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, but they managed.
The issue with Hugh is that because Wolverine supposedly never ages, he can't/shouldn't be played by anyone else.

It would be like getting another actor to play Iron Man, some roles are so iconic they can't really be played by anyone else without some story twisting. (I.E. Prequal/Alternate Realities etc'.)

For X-Men Dark Phoenix they are going to be bringing back the young Xavier and Magneto, which I am fine with if they do it right.

The other messy part about X-Men and MCU is Quicksilver. They have one version of the character in the X-Men universe and another version in Marvels, the one in Marvel they don't even bother to call a mutant and don't even mention the fact that Magneto is Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's father.

True on the Spiderman stuff, I heard rumours Sony are planning a Venom movie not tied in with the Marvel side of things. The new deal Sony did to get Spiderman in the MCU was the best for all parties as it allows Sony to still keep the original contract and makes the films and it allows Marvel to actually do something with their character.

The X-men stuff is hard to bare as a fan boy. The whole thing is a mess. The contract means Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can appear in both, but the term mutants is tied to Fox so only they can use it. Meaning only they have movie rights to any mutant in the MU (Namor is under a separate deal). The introduction of Inhumans into the comics and MCU as a bigger power makes me think that Marvel no longer care about mutants because of the contract. Even at the end of Season 2 of SHIELD the Inhumans were talking like they were feared and persecuted (like mutants) yet no one even know who or what they were, it was a secret (beside the fact they aren't born Inhuman, they have to be chosen and go through the mists and it's all based on royality and social ties... an elitist society cannot have that kind of persecution).

Let's not forget the issues they have with the Fantastic Four side of things. No Doom ever in the MCU? Marvel cancelling FF comics?

... and it's not like people are even buying comics because of the films. Sales of comics are the same now as they were 10 years ago, lower even.... I'm going to stop, I'm getting bitter again.

Hmm, pie.