By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Which is better? MCU or DCU

Which one is better?

Marvel Cinematic Universe 173 75.88%

DC Cinematic Universe 55 24.12%

Total:228

MCU.
Reason - They actually invested the time, effort, money, energy, etc into building up their universe. With DCU, it's a cheap cash grab of throwing a bunch of sh*t against the wall and hoping something sticks. It's like they set out with a plan at the time that Man of Steel released. But it wasn't as well received as they hoped, and then Green Lantern flopped. So, instead of making Man of Steel 2, they made Superman vs Batman. But they didn't just make Superman vs Batman, they had to simultaneously make Life and Death of Superman in the same movie. Superman had been in Action Comics since 1938 before the 1992 Life and Death of Superman. In the DCU, Superman has been on Earth for less than 2 years and the Death of Superman storyline is supposed to have any weight/gravity at all in that context??? And because that wasn't a sufficient set-up for Justice League on it's own, they had to throw in Wonder Woman too, even though Wonder Woman's standalone movie wasn't out yet. Next up, Aquaman, Cyborg, and the Flash featuring in the Justice League with what, 5 seconds of screentime intro each?

MCU laid the blueprint on how to successfully craft a shared universe. Before Marvel attempted to bring The Avengers to the big screen, they laid the foundation with 2 Iron Man movies, 2 Hulk movies, 1 Captain America movie, and 1 Thor movie. That's 6 movies of world building and character introduction & foundation. They don't care if an Ant-Man standalone movie only grosses $300 million. Getting a minor character like that out in front of their audience and building him into their shared universe is what matters.

By contrast, the DCU is a text book example of how not to half-ass a shared universe. I wish Warner Bros/DC had the confidence to just do their own thing rather than insisting on trying to compete/play catch-up with Disney/Marvel. Adding bad cheesy jokes to their films doesn't make them funny or more light-hearted, it just makes the dialogue worse. And piling modern music into a film doesn't give you a great soundtrack like Guardians of the Galaxy. You actually have to edit them seamlessly into the movie. The first 10 minutes of Suicide Squad, they bombard you with 30 seconds of a different song, one after another after another so that each character introduction has it's own theme. But, that doesn't work. That's just getting beaten over the head by a really, really bad editor saying, "you like this song right? here's another famous song, you like this too right? here's another great song, you like this one too right? isn't this soundtrack awesome??" You take a look at the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and you realize how much better the current DC universe would be if they actually took the time to develop one character at a time instead of shoe-horning everything together just so they can get Justice League in theaters ASAP.

Around the Network

MCU, not even close

SpokenTruth said:
That is not a fair question.

It should not have even been a question.

DC has the better character and villains imo. I like them more then Marvel.

But Wonder Woman is the only good film in the DCEU. So MCU wins by a mile.

Though comparing 4 films against 16 is a strange one.

Lol It's not even a contest at this point. I haven't seen Wonder Woman but it would have to be Dark Knight levels of good to make up for Suicide Squad. Meanwhile MCU films have ranged from decent to great, and Ive at least enjoyed every one I've seen.

Around the Network

Well, this question is not very fair considering that Marvel has released 16 movies to DC's 4.
Now, if the question had been, "Which first 4 films are better? DC's or Marvel's?" Then you've got something.
And for that question, I'd say Marvel.
Because with DC:
Man of Steel was meh.
Dawn of Justice sucked.
Suicide Squad was decent.
Wonder Woman, so far, is my movie of the year.

With Marvel,
Iron Man 1 was amazing.
The Incredible Hulk was mediocre
Iron Man 2 was OK.
Thor was great.

merman said:
SpokenTruth said:
That is not a fair question.

i think it is.. At the end of the Day the MCU might be 5 years older but even on Warners 4th movies they are only just (IMO) made a good movie, There TV series are alright though 

Problem is that the TV Series are included to MCU, but not in the case of the DCU, where the TV Series are their own Universe.

MCU because even their worst films have still been decent while DCU has been complete shit. (Not seen Wonderwoman yet)Also I'm so glad they are not the dark and gritty route. Fucking hell I'm so sick of dark and gritty last decade or so. Even the new power rangers looks like it was shot by the same people who did Fantastic 4 2015. Lightbulbs exist you guys.

MARTHA!

MCU obviously, that said I prefer DC characters, so if they correct course I could like DC better.

Well the dark knight films are my fav superhero films, do they count as DCU or is it from Man of steel only?