Splatoon 127 40.84%

ARMS 7 2.25%

Ever Oasis 3 0.96%

Snipperclips 4 1.29%

Other 40 12.86%

Total:311
guiduc said:
Metallox said:
Xenoblade, and it's not even made by Nintendo (EPD, formerly EAD)! Splatoon and ARMS are the biggest original things that the company has made since Pikmin, but I feel it still needs to make something as ambitious as Mario and Zelda games.

Xeno is first party, so they do make really ambitious IPs.

Again, Xenoblade isn't made by EPD, which is what I meant. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Metallox said:
guiduc said:

Xeno is first party, so they do make really ambitious IPs.

Again, Xenoblade isn't made by EPD, which is what I meant. 

I understand. But I don't think EPD will expand in any way - Nintendo will just keep acquiring other studios instead of forming new EPD teams.

Also xeno is almost 20 years now-xenogears is 19 years old. Yes it started in square, but the xeno team split from square after xenogears to make xenosaga.

TheBraveGallade said:

Also xeno is almost 20 years now-xenogears is 19 years old. Yes it started in square, but the xeno team split from square after xenogears to make xenosaga.

Xenoblade is not the same IP as Xenogears or Xenosaga though.
As recently as E3 2009, only a year out from release, it was called "Monado: Beginning of the World". The Xeno was added late in development to honour Takahashi, who likes to add the prefix to his games.

leedlelee said:
Yerm said:
remember Codename: S.T.E.A.M.?

of course you dont. nobody does

I don't understand why people made this game out to be the second coming of Superman 64...

The characters were great and the aesthetic was pretty cool...

Having said that, the original Xenoblade was quite possibly my favorite game ever...

i didnt mean anything bad towards it, i just meant that is faded into obscurity faster than most. it looked promising too.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
atomicblue said:

Xenoblade, and also Captain Toad, which isn't in the poll. Even if we go by his first appearance in any game (Super Mario Galaxy), he'd still be less than 10 years old.

P.S. Some other ones not mentioned in the poll: Pandora's Tower, Wonderful 101, Captain Rainbow, Endless Ocean, Hotel Dusk, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Style Savvy, Art Academy, Tomodachi, Pushmo/Pullblox, Steel Diver, Boxboy, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., 1-2-Switch, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Pretty sure Nintendo owns the IP for those.

Captain Toad isn't really a new IP, it's a spinoff of the Mario IP.

You raise a good point in paragraph two; what about new IPs that are developed by third parties but published by Nintendo? You missed The Last Story btw,m shame on you. :P

Hahah, I never said it was an exhaustive list.

I maintain that Captain Toad counts, though, even if he started as a spin-off. The same is true for the likes of Yoshi; their games now have their own identity, style and gameplay.

atomicblue said:
curl-6 said:

Captain Toad isn't really a new IP, it's a spinoff of the Mario IP.

You raise a good point in paragraph two; what about new IPs that are developed by third parties but published by Nintendo? You missed The Last Story btw,m shame on you. :P

Hahah, I never said it was an exhaustive list.

I maintain that Captain Toad counts, though, even if he started as a spin-off. The same is true for the likes of Yoshi; their games now have their own identity, style and gameplay.

Toad is literally a sidestory to 3D World though, using most of the same assets and ending with 3DW's opening cutscene. It's basically an expansion/DLC of an existing game.

I clicked on this thinking I was going to say Pikmin. Then I looked it up and that game turns 16 this year. Fuck. That kind of makes me feel old.

I voted for Splatoon. Great game. I just got it in January and have more hours on that game than anything else since probably...Super Smash Bros Brawl, I think? It is just such a fresh take on the shooter genre. I love it.

I still haven't played Xenoblade. I need to.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
I still haven't played Xenoblade. I need to.

If you have any fondness for JRPGs at all, you owe it to yourself to give the original Xenoblade a go.

leedlelee said:
Yerm said:
remember Codename: S.T.E.A.M.?

of course you dont. nobody does

I don't understand why people made this game out to be the second coming of Superman 64...

The characters were great and the aesthetic was pretty cool...

Having said that, the original Xenoblade was quite possibly my favorite game ever...

It was a very good game and probably brillant beginning for a new IP... on the wrong platform.

Intelligent Systems basically tried to do their own Steampunk version of Valkyrie Chronicles, soaked in literature inspired characters battling aliens. However the original 3DS could barely handle it. They had to patch it later for both 3DS and New 3DS to increase its speed. Graphically while the designs were quite good, their in game appearences showed the limits of the hardware being only ok at best on the screen but looking pretty bad in screen shots and some videos elsewhere.

If they had just sat on the concept and worked on it as a Switch title, not unlike Star Fox 2 giving way to Star Fox 64, we all might be singing a different tune. But instead it was released and died on the vine. With Intelligent Systems finding much more success with making Fire Emblem games and the occassional puzzle game, the would be franchise is pretty much dead. All players and fans can hope is that one of the higher ups liked the gameplay enough to try to make a spiritual successor within another new franchise down the line.