By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
curl-6 said:

Tooie is a great game; a little less refined than Kazooie, but still great.
Nuts and Bolts I thought was awful; the core gameplay just wasn't any fun and the focusing it all around building felt gimmicky. Physics were way too fiddly too.
In my humble opinion, Rare haven't made a great game since the N64, the talent behind their 4th/5th gen golden age left long ago.

Nuts & Bolts was the final nail in Rare's coffin. *tears L.O.G.'s head off, throws it to the ground, stomps on it a few times, then kicks it into heavy traffic where it's obliterated by an 18 wheeler*

Around the Network
160rmf said:
JWeinCom said:

Banjo Tooie was a bloated version of Banjo Kazooie that confused bigger with better. Nuts and Bolts was creative and novel. Physics engine was a bit rough, but other than that, was a really great game. 

Bolded: No denies on that, but I think Nuts and Bolts is more its own thing, other than having Banjo and Kazooie, i think it's hard to be compared with the N64 games.

But the first part I don't agree at all. Tooie is definitely better than Kazooie: the worlds, boss battles, minigames, gameplay mechanics, puzzles, etc... 

I just wish rareplay on Switch is happening to have all these games on the go

A lot of people deny that Nuts and Bolts was a great game. It was compared to the CDI Zelda games not five posts ago and I think someone is threatening violence against one of its characters XD

I think the level design for Tooie was awful. In Mario 64 or BK, and even to a lesser extent in DK64, the worlds are generally compact and have obvious landmarks to make things easy to navigate. Like, Freezeezy peak which had the christmas tree, giant Snowman, and the polar bear dude's house. It's pretty easy and intuitive to navigate, especially because you don't tend to have to go back and forth too much for each jiggy.

In Tooie on the other hand, the worlds are much larger, and often without any good landmarks to navigate. The mine level is particularly awful in this regard. This problem is exaccerbated by how much backtracking the game makes you do, sometimes even making you go through multiple levels to get some jiggies. And, you also had to switch between essentially five characters (Banjo-Kazooie, solo Banjo, solo Kazooie, transformation, Mumbo), which means even more backtracking. 

It's kind of in an awkward place where it sometimes feels closer to a Zelda game than a Mario game. Maybe some people are into that, but it's just not what I was looking for in a Banjo game. It's not a bad game, but I just can't really find a good reason to play it instead of playing Banjo-Kazooie. There are some things it does better (especially boss battles), but it's not worth putting up with the things it does worse. It's kind of like, in almost every platform game there are a few levels that make you go "Ugh I hate this one". Like Rusty Bucket Bay and to a lesser extent Click Clock Wood in BK1. But in Banjo Tooie more than half the levels give me that ugh feeling. Witchy World is cool though.  

Basically, almost every platformer tends to have a world or something where you're just like "ugh I hat this one". For Banjo-Tooie, 

JWeinCom said:
160rmf said:

Bolded: No denies on that, but I think Nuts and Bolts is more its own thing, other than having Banjo and Kazooie, i think it's hard to be compared with the N64 games.

But the first part I don't agree at all. Tooie is definitely better than Kazooie: the worlds, boss battles, minigames, gameplay mechanics, puzzles, etc... 

I just wish rareplay on Switch is happening to have all these games on the go

A lot of people deny that Nuts and Bolts was a great game. It was compared to the CDI Zelda games not five posts ago and I think someone is threatening violence against one of its characters XD

I think the level design for Tooie was awful. In Mario 64 or BK, and even to a lesser extent in DK64, the worlds are generally compact and have obvious landmarks to make things easy to navigate. Like, Freezeezy peak which had the christmas tree, giant Snowman, and the polar bear dude's house. It's pretty easy and intuitive to navigate, especially because you don't tend to have to go back and forth too much for each jiggy.

In Tooie on the other hand, the worlds are much larger, and often without any good landmarks to navigate. The mine level is particularly awful in this regard. This problem is exaccerbated by how much backtracking the game makes you do, sometimes even making you go through multiple levels to get some jiggies. And, you also had to switch between essentially five characters (Banjo-Kazooie, solo Banjo, solo Kazooie, transformation, Mumbo), which means even more backtracking. 

It's kind of in an awkward place where it sometimes feels closer to a Zelda game than a Mario game. Maybe some people are into that, but it's just not what I was looking for in a Banjo game. It's not a bad game, but I just can't really find a good reason to play it instead of playing Banjo-Kazooie. There are some things it does better (especially boss battles), but it's not worth putting up with the things it does worse. It's kind of like, in almost every platform game there are a few levels that make you go "Ugh I hate this one". Like Rusty Bucket Bay and to a lesser extent Click Clock Wood in BK1. But in Banjo Tooie more than half the levels give me that ugh feeling. Witchy World is cool though.  

Basically, almost every platformer tends to have a world or something where you're just like "ugh I hat this one". For Banjo-Tooie, 

Grunty Industries? That level was a bit of a pain.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

Grunty Industries? That level was a bit of a pain.

Oh, my thought was incomplete. What I was going to say was that in Banjo Tooie, the majority of the levels are "ugh I hat(sic) this one. I think the Dinosaur one was my least favorite, but Grunty Industries was also annoying, as was the mine. And the water level. And the ice/fire level...

مواقع التسرب، واستخدام أحدث التقنيات والأجهزة للكشف عنها بدقة عالية. تعتمد هذه الشركات على فرق فنية مدربة ومؤهلة، تمتلك الخبرة اللازمة للتعامل مع مختلف أنواع التسربات، سواء كانت في الأنابيب، أو في الجدران، أو حتى تحت الأرض.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

I see, well almost everything you listed as a downside I found it great. I loved revisiting the worlds and discovers new things on each passage. My LEAST FAVORITE was Terrydactland. But I have to agree that the level design could be confusing in some areas, still it doesn't take away my enjoyment from that game.

Kazooie feels like a beta version of Tooie... An experiment. That snow level that you described as being good for having better placed references, I found it messy, the lack of segments make the level a complete mess, its just visually not appealing. The worlds are short, easy to find your pace, but they are messy It's really hard for me replaying, while Tooie if Nintendo put it on NSO I would play in a heartbeat.

I need to be honest with you in regards to nuts and Bolts, I was just playing devil's advocate. I actually don't like that game at all, it just ain't my thing, but I understand that is a solid experience for what is delivering and it can be enjoyed. But I also understand the huge disappointment people have for this game, as a Nintendo fan, for reasons that don't disqualify its qualities regarding the gameplay.

Last edited by 160rmf - on 10 January 2024

We reap what we sow

JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Same, and the rumored Banjo-Kazooie that was supposedly greenlit very recently. Hopefully it's a proper Banjo-Kazooie game and not you know what. *blows up cars from Nuts & Bolts*

Nuts and Bolts>>>Banjo Tooie

Genuinely awful take.

Not even worth explaining why. You should know better.

psychicscubadiver said:
JWeinCom said:

Nuts and Bolts>>>Banjo Tooie

Genuinely awful take.

Not even worth explaining why. You should know better.

Never played Nuts and Bolts. Character design was off putting to me.

I think Tooie is better than 1. In fact, it's #10 on my all time rankings list.

I really like Banjo Kazooie and love Tooie.

Everything expanded in Tooie from Kazooie is how I would want any sequel to be from the previous game.

The worlds, gameplay, story, etc.

I hated Grunty Industries and HailFire peak as well when I first played the game back in 2002 but when I re-played the N64 versions again back in 2017, I just loved it completely.

Anyways, I have Rare Replay on Xbox - and planning to play through the series again and try out Nuts and Bolts (but the character design still looks awful lol).

Also need to try out Grunty's Revenge, have it somewhere, never got to play it.

Altec Lansing Ventures into New Territory as the Inaugural Licensee of Ai Shark's Original Gaming Software (prweb.com)

Press release about Ai Shark (formerly GameShark) making a return. Weirdly they say "The official launch is planned to coincide with the Nintendo Switch 2 in September 2024."