By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Rare might have done the best DKC trilogy, but Retro made the best game in the franchise with Tropical Freeze.

Though, it's true that for such a successful console, the Switch had almost nothing new for DK on the plate except for TF port and a DLC in Mario + Rabbids... Maybe we'll have something this year's end but I'm not holding my breath ...

Anywoo, I finally finished Octopath Traveler II meaning I can finally start my playthrough of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Managed to not spoil myself on almost everything so far !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Played through Super Mario 64 (Super Mario 3D All Stars) on Switch over the weekend.

I went from 9 stars to 20 stars.

Died a few times on the slide level in Cool Cool Mountain and also took sometime to get Star 5 in Jolly Roger's Bay.

Its been 10 years since I last played it so it was a bit tough to get back to it lol

----

Finished Pokemon Sword Isle of Armor DLC - enjoyed it overall. My pokemon were lower level (high 60s and low 70s) compared to the final boss (whose pokemon were lv 75) but still won.

Will be starting Crown Tundra on my next play session.

----

Made it to the Kingdom of Trodain in Dragon Quest VIII.

Lv 22 for the MC - really enjoying the game. Might end up being my most favorite of all the DQ games I've played so far (DQ1, 2, 5 and this one).

Mar1217 said:

Rare might have done the best DKC trilogy, but Retro made the best game in the franchise with Tropical Freeze.

Though, it's true that for such a successful console, the Switch had almost nothing new for DK on the plate except for TF port and a DLC in Mario + Rabbids... Maybe we'll have something this year's end but I'm not holding my breath ...

Anywoo, I finally finished Octopath Traveler II meaning I can finally start my playthrough of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Managed to not spoil myself on almost everything so far !

Speaking of which, I just realized Fred Armisen's Cranky Kong was based on Larry David, so yeah, I guess Fred CAN play a cranky old man. Still hope in the next Mario movie or in a DKC movie they make him, well, crankier. Even if he complains more about minor inconveniences like being kept awake late or having a leaky roof, as opposed to Cranky in the games who complained about almost everything.

New Pikmin 4 trailer with release date!!

CaptainExplosion said:

Does Metroid count as a horror franchise? A few games (Fusion, Prime 2, Dread) in the franchise have me thinking yes.

For me, no, I have never really considered it to be horror.  I guess there are some light horror elements there, but the games are never really overtly scary enough for me to think of them that way.  I just think of it as more a sci-fi game.  And the way Samus gets powered up over the course of the game also limits the horror element.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Does Metroid count as a horror franchise? A few games (Fusion, Prime 2, Dread) in the franchise have me thinking yes.

For me, no, I have never really considered it to be horror.  I guess there are some light horror elements there, but the games are never really overtly scary enough for me to think of them that way.  I just think of it as more a sci-fi game.  And the way Samus gets powered up over the course of the game also limits the horror element.

It certainly has sequences of thrill that are reminiscent of the horror/suspense genre I'd say. It's just that it isn't the main focus of what they're doing with these games. It's Metroidvania first and foremost. Maybe in the future we could see some kind of Metroid action/horror or pure horror spin-off but the mainline games are built too different for such

CaptainExplosion said:

Release date was already known months ago.

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Just in case anyone thought the Pikmin 4 release date announcement was actually a massive collective hallucination 😉

Kakadu18 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Well it's still a good idea to remind us.

The final update for Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is now live.

It's been one hell of a ride, and one of the best games on the Switch.