By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I just wish you could buy NES, SNES, N64, etc games on eShop instead of having to sub to NSO.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

I just wish you could buy NES, SNES, N64, etc games on eShop instead of having to sub to NSO.

We all do. NSO was a mistake.

Finished Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster for Switch.

12 hours to finish.

Its the best version of FF2 so far that I have played among the NES, GBA, PS1, PSP and iOS versions.

Still....the worst of the 3 FF NES games gameplay wise lol

Final Fantasy I Dawn of Souls (GBA): 82
Final Fantasy I Anniversary (PSP): 85
Final Fantasy I (iOS): 81
Final Fantasy I Pixel Remaster (NS): 87
Final Fantasy II Dawn of Souls (GBA): 83
Final Fantasy II Anniversary (PSP): 85
Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster (NS): 87
Final Fantasy III (NES): 80
Final Fantasy III (DS): 86
Final Fantasy IV (SNES): 90
Final Fantasy IV (PSX): 89
Final Fantasy IV (GBA): 86
Final Fantasy IV (DS): 92
Final Fantasy IV (PSP): 94
Final Fantasy IV After Years/Prologue (PSP): 88
Final Fantasy V (SNES): 84
Final Fantasy V (PS1): 83
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA): 88
Final Fantasy V (PC): 91
Final Fantasy VI (SNES): 95
Final Fantasy VI (PS1): 95
Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA): 95
Final Fantasy VII (PS1): 93
Final Fantasy VII (PC): 93
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (PSP): 93
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1): 88
Final Fantasy VIII (PC): 88
Final Fantasy IX (PS1): 95
Final Fantasy IX (PC): 97
Final Fantasy X (PS2): N/A
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2): N/A
Final Fantasy XII (PS2): N/A
Final Fantasy XIII (PS3): 88
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3): 86
Final Fantasy XV (PS4): 89
A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV (PS4): 70
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4): 87
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS): 82
Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP): 100
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012 Duodecim (PSP): 96
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX): 94

Does Metroid count as a horror franchise? A few games (Fusion, Prime 2, Dread) in the franchise have me thinking yes.

Mostly, I wanted to stop in and say 2023 is my favourite year for the Switch, now.
FF Pixel Remaster, Tears of the Kingdom, and the upcoming Suikoden games.

I didn’t know the appropriate thread and I have no time to search. To have such a great year so late in the console lifecycle reminds me of the end of the SNES era with Kirby Superstar, Terranigma, Donkey Kong Country 3, and so on.

On top of that, a lot of older games are having massive sales, so I’m getting games that I wanted to play a while ago, and even a bunch that I didn’t :D

Anyway, overwhelming volumes of greatness this year on the Switch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

Does Metroid count as a horror franchise? A few games (Fusion, Prime 2, Dread) in the franchise have me thinking yes.

I’d say suspense, but not necessarily horror - although, it would really depend on who you ask. Horror is often incredibly suspenseful too, so there’s some overlap.

The original NES title is one of the most suspenseful games I’ve ever played… although, for a reason that would drive most people nuts. I’m ultra-cautious because one bad screwup means 20-40 minutes of farming… and it’s the ever present threat of that which gets my blood pumping.

As far as horror goes, my personal opinion is that it requires some kind of invasive supernatural or alien presence which isn’t supposed to be there.

Castlevania for example, lots of traditional horror monsters, but it doesn’t feel like horror because you’re playing a vampire Hunter killing vampires and their minions. The TV series DOES feel like horror though because of the strong sense of the invasiveness of the vampire invasion. I think Metroid falls more into the former rather than the latter.

Resident Evil totally does. But horror doesn’t necessarily need to be blood guts and gory, even some more cartoonish stuff like the zombie invasion of Threed in Earthbound has a horror feeling to it - mostly the first part, not the second part where you’re invading Belch’s lair.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion, others will have different definitions and different ideas. For example: American Psycho is considered a horror book and film by many people; to me, it’s a pure dark comedy. It has nothing supernatural, nothing suspenseful or scary, and is mostly a satirical piece (both book and film) exploring the shallowness of a yuppie who wants to fit in by imagining himself as a serial killer or being a serial killer (both book and film are unclear on that)… although, I’m the book it’s clear that Bateman is gets very stressed over very trial things and awkward moments, but when he’s murdering prostitutes with nail guns and chainsaws it’s described in the most mundane language, which indicates that it might just be his imagination - or Bret Easton Ellis’s dark humour about just how messed up Bateman is. But I’m getting into the weeds on this example - so I’ll just say To me, American Psycho is 0% horror, 0% suspense, but about as dark and comedic as they come. The point I’m trying to get across is it depends on who you ask on whether or not it would be horror.

Incidentally, I’m a big fan of dark comedy, horror, and suspense.

BasilZero said:

Ideally, both would be opinions. Just like films on streaming services and how they’re usually available on one or more services to stream and everywhere to buy.

Jumpin said:
BasilZero said:

Ideally, both would be opinions. Just like films on streaming services and how they’re usually available on one or more services to stream and everywhere to buy.

You mean options and not opinions right? lol

Yeah, having both options as a choice is ideal.

Jumpin said:

Mostly, I wanted to stop in and say 2023 is my favourite year for the Switch, now.

I didn’t know the appropriate thread and I have no time to search. To have such a great year so late in the console lifecycle reminds me of the end of the SNES era with Kirby Superstar, Terranigma, Donkey Kong Country 3, and so on.

On top of that, a lot of older games are having massive sales, so I’m getting games that I wanted to play a while ago, and even a bunch that I didn’t :D

1994, 1995, and 1996 were the best years for the SNES

1994 had Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, and Final Fantasy VI

1995 had Donkey Kong Country 2, Mega Man X2, Yoshi's Island, and Chrono Trigger

1996 had Donkey Kong Country 3, Mega Man X3, Kirby super Star and Super Mario RPG

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Jumpin said:

1994, 1995, and 1996 were the best years for the SNES

1994 had Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, and Final Fantasy VI

1995 had Donkey Kong Country 2, Mega Man X2, Yoshi's Island, and Chrono Trigger

1996 had Donkey Kong Country 3, Mega Man X3, Kirby super Star and Super Mario RPG

Back when Nintendo actually cared about Donkey Kong. Mario movie appearance and upcoming roller coaster notwithstanding.