By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: the 4K audience is “a bit too limited,” talks fan feedback

I get what he is saying, but that does not mean you can not offer a limited supply, higher price unit that supports 4K. All three platform holders are now at a point where their engines and games are made to scale according to hardware. I would have no problem paying for a Switch that was $599.99 if it could double as my phone, and offer 1080p in every title. They need to widen their view points if they want to reach more consumers and stay viable in the market.

Sony and Microsoft have not abandoned 1080p with the Pro and the X, they have simply widened their potential user base, by offering a higher tier unit that their base models could not satisfy. If they offered $999.99 versions of XBO and PS4 that could handle 4K @ 60fps, they would reach an even larger user base. These high end models are for people that spend 10's of thousands of dollars on A/V equipment, and want a game console that can take full advanatage of their set up. It is not a huge market, the XBOS and PS4S will still be the lead console, but the Pro, the X, and even higher end models should exsist just as higher end models exist in every other sector of consumer electronics.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Well...he's right.

Today is just not the time to go for 4k gaming. It's just too expensive to have a good experience at a reasonable price, as evidenced by the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Granted, I'm pretty picky when it comes to framerate (which is why I game at 1440p with a GTX 1070, which might be a bit overkill), but still, the amount of sacrifices these consoles need to reach this supposed 4k rendering is a bit much. I'd much rather have the convenience of portability.

Kerotan said:
Nintendo is still struggling to hit 1080p so obviously 4k is a step too far right now. But he's right. 4k is growing rapidly but still niche.

Next gen on the ps5 it will be truly mainstream.

Devs still struggle with 1080P on the base consoles.

Yet I like playing Wipeout in 4k/60fps and other games in checkerboard 2160p. Besides isn't one out of five PS4's sold today a PS4 pro even when the pro is supply constrainted. There is defenitly a market for 4K hdr gaming and it's growing each day. It might be small now but it will be very big over 4 years and Nintendo. Sony and MS are already learning how to develop in 4k and are even making very efficient engines for it (Decima). The same goes for VR btw which is also a growing market.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

He is right, TVs cost a lot of money when you want the ones with the latest tech and in this case the lastest tech is 4K, people arnt committed or even have the money to keep up with the speed TV tech goes at now. I remember when people owned TVs for 10-15 maybe 20 years before getting a new one. It seems now every 3-5 years there's a big jump in tech or innovation for what a tv does it's pathetic.
I said it before, betime people start finally getting 4K TVs there will be a newer resolution or innovation and we'll all be behind again while the consoles are once again doing the newer tech.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

He is right for most part but there will always be a small market that always has the latest gadgets so if there i a premium model and a normal model for the masses there is no problem. It is only a problem when they make a way over speced model ad force it down everyone's throat.

I got my tv 3 years ago 55inch. pretty decent screen and a decent price i paid. Before I even consider upgrading it will probably be another 7 years or until the TV fails before then.

I can't just keep buying a new tv every 3 years. Wtf do i do wt the old one? selling i i a chore in itself and giving it away after such a short period of life is stupid.

Reggie, Microsoft and Sony all know the 4k audience is too limited. Microsoft is just using the 4k power gimmick to create options to draw console enthusiasts PS4 and Xbox One. Sony used checkerboard rendering for a reason. Its was too early and too expensive two years ago.

Reggies right though. At this juncture, intelletual property is more valuable right now. Microsoft should get acquainted with that idea. Lets hope Nintendo gets more third party exclusives because the multiplats that they currently have are weak.

pokoko said:

If they want their products to be inherently affordable then why add a 3D feature to a handheld console or an expensive controller to a home console?

From what I've seen of Nintendo over the years, because they thought 3D or the JoyCons would add something to the gaming experience that's unique. Of course, no one used 3D really from what I've heard. Their way of thinking always seems to revolve around what's interesting to them more than simple resolution bumps.

I don't even know anyone with a 4k TV. I plan on getting one, just not until some day in the future when I have more of a need/use for it and some of the prices come down.