By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: the 4K audience is “a bit too limited,” talks fan feedback

he's wrong

Like Nintendo was wrong to not have disc for the N64
To not have online and media capabilities on the NGC
To not have HD on Wii
Etc etc

Nintendo doesn't understand that consoles are one of the biggest way to spread new technologies, they need to be ahead of the curve, not behind.

Kotaku actually did a poll, and 40% of the people answering to the poll said they own a 4K TV. And 48%those who said they didn't said they'll proably get one in the coming year. https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/06/do-you-own-a-4k-tv/

So right now the market is shifting heavily from HD to UHD, all those PS4pro and Xbox One X are going to help sell a lot of 4K TVs. It's going really fast, and the Switch, is already way behind when it comes to being a proper home console.  It will still be a good handheld in a year or two, but it will be completely outdated as a home system, and third party support is going to be non-existent.

That's the reality, and I hope Nintendo one day stop being such a dumbass, and makes a decent home console again.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Pemalite said:

Nintendo needs to pursue full high definition first.

There is no such thing as "full" HD. That was a marketing gimmick from day one.

HD. Aka. High Definition. = 720P.
Full/F HD aka. Full High Definition. = 1080P.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

Nintendo is lacking in resolution. Which is par-the-course for over a decade/3 Home Consoles and several handhelds.

Ganoncrotch said:

Not just Nintendo, the standard X1 is only dynamically capable of full HD in many games, dipping down to 480p in Titanfall 2, I'm fairly sure there isn't a single Switch game which runs at that low a resolution, heck even lego City recently wasn't 1080p on the X1 but was on the Switch.

Titanfall 2 is just terrible optimization. And yet... Even when it drops to 480P it still gives any Switch game a run for it's money graphically.

However. You are correct. The Xbox One and Playstation 4 suffer from sub-par output resolutions as they fail to gaurentee 1080P. - And I have ridiculed them completely for that aspect for years now.

But just because the base Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles are shit at obtaining 1080P doesn't mean Nintendo should get a pass.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AlfredoTurkey said:
Pemalite said:

Nintendo needs to pursue full high definition first.

HD, High Defiinition is also a marketing gimmick.

Everything is, it's all products, and it's just names, at the time 1080p was the best we could do, it was the top quality, so they named it full.

And to be honest, 720p has always been a little wonky, whereas 1080p is where it really starts to be high quality.

Pemalite said:

But just because the base Xbox One and Playstation 4 consoles are shit at obtaining 1080P doesn't mean Nintendo should get a pass.

especially when their new system comes out 3 and half years after.

I'm all for a more a higher resolution experience as long as the hardware can handle it and there are no sacrifices. But if I can play PS3 games at 720p, I can play switch games on 720p as well. Again, it doesn't mean I'd wouldn't prefer a higher resolution, But I'll gladly play Mario Odyssey in 720p.

Around the Network

As it was once for 1080p

The PS5 Exists. 

maxleresistant said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

HD, High Defiinition is also a marketing gimmick.

Everything is, it's all products, and it's just names, at the time 1080p was the best we could do, it was the top quality, so they named it full.

And to be honest, 720p has always been a little wonky, whereas 1080p is where it really starts to be high quality.

It's certainly a marketing term. A gimmick it is not. It's actually usefull. And it doesn't mean it's a useless term either. A Full HD display represents a display that is superior to a HD display in terms of resolution.

Also. We could actually exceed 1080P back when 1080P wen't mainstream. Professional markets had 4k displays as far back as 2003 with some NEC panels, they actually had to run two 1080P inputs via DVI to the display, each rendering 1920x1080 in Portrait.

Also... We had 1080P CRT monitors back when console gamers were still stuck on 240P consoles during the Playstation 1/Nintendo 64 era.

And during the Playstation 2 era the PC was starting to dabble in Tessellation. A technique we wouldn't see in full force untill this console generation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

KLAMarine said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Does anyone really think Switch, at 299, is too much money?

When I first saw the $299 price tag, I thought it was $50 too much but once I got a Switch, I felt it was a good price. The size of the little unit is impressive and the box comes with two controllers that can be combined to form one right out of the box.

On a related note, the Switch seems to be selling decently at a $400 scalper price on Amazon.

pokoko said:

I wasn't talking about the Switch but the price seems fine objectively speaking.  Of course, being a hybrid, some people will think it's too much depending on what they want out of it.

Others would think they're getting a console and a handheld for the price of a new console. It's like buying two for the price of one.

That's the whole point of the Switch: a console at home and a handheld for when on-the-go. It's in the marketing and it's in the name.

pokoko said:

Personally, I'd only use it as a home console, so I wouldn't pay $300 for it, especially since it doesn't come with the best controller.

Not a fan of the doggie controller eh?

Kerotan said:
Nintendo is still struggling to hit 1080p so obviously 4k is a step too far right now. But he's right. 4k is growing rapidly but still niche.

Next gen on the ps5 it will be truly mainstream.

MK8D and Arms seem to be able to pull off 1080p fine.

I'm talking titles in general.  over the last couple of years they've struggled with 1080p. 4k will have to wait quite a while with Nintendo. 

I don't know why he's talking as if they could have focused on it. Not if they wanted to focus on being able to go mobile with their device, they couldn't. And if they stick with mobile/HH gaming, which I think they should since it is where their strengths lie, I think they have at least 2 or 3 more systems to go before they can even think about 4K gaming with graphics better than the Switch.

Well right now, 4K wouldn't work with what Nintendo wanted to do with the Switch, at least with the tech we have now and at the price it's at. It would burn out completely as a console with the ability to be played on the TV and on the go.