By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3 2017: Indies 'Less Relevant Now,' Says PlayStation's Jim Ryan

It was good to talk about when you didn't have shit releasing anytime soon.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
KLAMarine said:

"And one of the things you didn't really show were indie games. You didn't really show any last year, either. Now clearly indie games are coming to PS4 all the time. So why aren't you showing them anymore?
One of the things we have realised is that these video collages of ten indie games shown in a minute, is almost meaningless. Nobody can really learn anything about the games in that sort of time. It is almost viewed as wasted time.

There was a time and a place, in the early stages of the life of PS4, to make statements. It was more about making a statement that we are serious about the indies, and that we are doing this and that with the indies. No Man's Sky and so on and so forth, which broke out from that and carved its own niche. You know, right now, we have tonnes of indie content on the platform. And the fact that we elected, along with many other things such as Gran Turismo and PlayLink, not to give it its own spot on the stage this week, in no way means it is not important, or it is not there, or we don't worry about it. It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now. We have VR to talk about now, for example."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-16-the-e3-interview-playstations-jim-ryan

Considering how relatively low VR hardware ownership currently is, I think it's safe to say non-VR indies are still more relevant. Good to see that PSVR adopters aren't being left high and dry though. I understand some time was devoted to VR content at Sony's E3 but not everyone viewing the presentation will be a PSVR owner or have interest in VR so for them, time would have been better spent on indies.

He doesn't say they're less relevant, unless you think GT Sport is less relevant as well.

I think Jim Ryan IS saying Indie content is less relevant. I think so due to the following excerpt:

"You know, right now, we have tonnes of indie content on the platform. And the fact that we elected, along with many other things such as Gran Turismo and PlayLink, not to give it its own spot on the stage this week, in no way means it is not important, or it is not there, or we don't worry about it. It was just good to talk about in 2013/2014. It is less relevant now."

The subject he's referring to throughout this portion was indie content and at the end, he refers to it as being less relevant.

SvennoJ said:

They chose to promote VR over indies as indies are already well established and known for their presence on ps4.

True but considering how many "tonnes of indie content" there is on the PS platform, visibility becomes all the more important for indie games to help them reach their intended audience.

SvennoJ said:

VR is still new, and not showing it E3 would have only brought the usual cries of Sony ditching VR like Move and Vita.

Bit of a double-edged sword: yes, that likely prevented people from accusing Sony of ditching VR but it also probably elicited sighs from people who have no interest in VR.

Ka-pi96 said:
Good! The less time wasted showing indies the better!

Indeed indeed. 90% of  'em are a bad way to spend your time.

full comment isn't bad

Yeah that is a silly statement to make.

Indies are more relevant than ever, they are making the videogame business thrive and progress at this point. No point in putting them down Jim with nonsense like that.

Around the Network

This thread had me like  at first.

The way this is worded sounds dismissive of the indie scene. This sounds like the kind of stuff you come up with when you're trying to excuse shortchanging your E3 presentation. There are still great indie games, and still deserve a spotlight. There should always be room for major studios and small alike on the platform.  It's not the indie gaming scene's fault that they threw AAA marketing behind a smaller title and got burned for it. Don't start burning that bridge now.

I kinda agree with him, but again showing indies games in 5m video wouldn't be waste of time in any case.

Looks like this is the same article that was posted on n4g.com and the community there called out the a regular troll called Septic who first put up the article.

Someone clearly emptied their Septic tank when writing the article, yet a greater shock is those that ate it up and want more.

Hynad said:

"[...] in no way means it is not important, or it is not there, or we don't worry about it."

Click bait title.

Yupp... nothing to see here, lets jut move along

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

SegataSanshiro said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Sony is still the absolute nr1 company who supports indies on consoles, there also the only one who actually allows them to release there games physical.

He is right indies are not that important for sony in a way that they  will be talked about  at e3 when sony  themselves  have 14 exclusives  they need to sell to consumers.

Everyone  knows there are a lot of indies on ps4 they don't  need to show it every  second. 

dafuq? No one prevents indies from releasing physical,it's a budget thing. Wii U got a bunch of physical indie games. Switch is already loaded with them and some not physical on PS4 at all.

actually, Microsoft has some rule that prevents Limited Run Games from putting out physical games for indies on XBO. I think, Microsoft has some rule where they must make a certain amount. 

EDIT: I'm not sure about Nintendo but it wouldn't surprise me if they also have rules, they haven't been very indie friendly in the past.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"