By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It appears that the Xbox One X has no competition according to Phil...

The Xbox One X's main competition is...

PS4 Pro 93 31.31%

Xbox One S 5 1.68%

Switch 28 9.43%

PS4 Slim 15 5.05%

Other 19 6.40%

Phil is an asshole. 137 46.13%

Total:297

Sony and Nintendo Exclusives.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Neodegenerate said:

Then I would say that he is being remarkably short-sighted for a guy in charge of a division for a huge company like Microsoft.  The consumers will look at it as PS4 Slim vs XB1S and PS4Pro vs XB1X.  Price points will drive this.  He can have his view all he wants, and he can try to spin it all he wants.  Fact is when a mainstream consumer is looking at the 4 offerings that is how they are gonna pair them and decide on which to buy.  That makes the Pro the X competition, not the S.

He's not spinning anything. XBOS came out last year, was more powerful, could upscale to 4K, could do HDR, etc. This is at around the same time the Pro launched.

XBOX comes out a year later, isolated from everything else, with a completely different price point and message. And again, he's not saying there's no competition. He's saying Pro is more of a XBOS competitor than an XBOX competitor. The Pro is a more mainstream device upgrade while the XBOX is clearly a niche enthusiast piece of hardware.

And I feel like if that were truly their intention for it they would have it be its own closed ecosystem like the Neo Geo was.  Instead they are masking a mid gen upgrade in that packaging to soften the perceived blow they receive from being on that same (or worse) 1 in 5-ish number that the Pro presently is for Sony.

To be clear btw, I applaud MS for making every attempt they have to claw back marketshare with their new iterations this gen.  The fact is though that they have gone about it the wrong way with this new XB1X and imo are in a pre-release damage control mode at this point because they know they can't take too big a loss on the system so they have to price it at 499, and they are already seeing shots fired over all their "true 4k" and "4k 60 frames" talk before.

Comming from very far away and going back to there... but just wanted to point something no one done here.

If X1X is not in competition with PS4Pro because it have 40% more GPU power, then how can he say PS4Pro is competing with X1S when PS4Pro have almost 200% more GPU than X1S or we could say 3:1 Power level?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wow. What a dick.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Radek said:
DonFerrari said:
Comming from very far away and going back to there... but just wanted to point something no one done here.

If X1X is not in competition with PS4Pro because it have 40% more GPU power, then how can he say PS4Pro is competing with X1S when PS4Pro have almost 200% more GPU than X1S or we could say 3:1 Power level?

Phil is going crazy lately, there is no other explanation.

The problem is Scorpio seems much less impressive than they hyped it up to be.

Assassin's Creed Origins is checkerboard 4K with resolution drops and 30 frame rate target.

Crackdown 3 is 30 fps in native 4K but it's a cell-shaded game and CPU magic didn't do enough to provide 60 fps.

Destiny 2 is also 30 fps in (maybe) native 4K but also 30 fps.

I was happy with the AC show, but the drop in quality from CGI to in game seemed quite big and when he was on eagle view the textures seemed quite blend

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Actually he is probably correct as far as how MS view the Pro. If MS felt the X1X was competing with the Pro, they would have taken a price cut and sold it either 399 or 449. Since MS decided to sell it at 499, they are positioning the device as a clear premium console above what they believe the pro is.

Do not get me wrong this how MS decided to view and market the device, it does not reflect how the market will accept that view. Also MS I am sure does not believe it will sell better than the Pro and thats the real statement Phil is making. When you read the whole interview you get the feeling that Phil considers the Pro as a more mass market console with price and features compared to the more premium X1X which will sell as a more upscale niche device.

I believe one of the problems with statements like this is people take things out of context.  What I mean is that people get all upset when they read a blurb about something someone says but never look at the over all interview or paragraph to understand where that person is coming from.  Its clear that Phil view the PS4 Pro as a mass market console with its price.  Anyone looking at the Pro knows Sony really did not do that much to the system beside bump up the GPU.

MS and Sony had very different goals when they made their mid gen systems.  Sony was going for a more modest update while MS knew that they needed to go bigger because just doing the same thing nets them nothing.

You can't have any competition if no one wants your product in the first place...

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Who needs competition with not a single console exclusive, paid online and an entry price of $500. Which could better be spent on a PC with cheaper games, a bigger library and free online with the direction MS is following. So congratz Phil you compete with pc.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Random_Matt said:
Need to replace this guy.
Stop saying true 4K.

PLEASE. That term makes me cringe everytime I hear it. Goes great with "highest quallity pixels" though.

I'm not a fan of Phil myself but I love how every time he says something it's triggering to certain people.