By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - It appears that the Xbox One X has no competition according to Phil...

The Xbox One X's main competition is...

PS4 Pro 93 31.31%

Xbox One S 5 1.68%

Switch 28 9.43%

PS4 Slim 15 5.05%

Other 19 6.40%

Phil is an asshole. 137 46.13%

Total:297
Neodegenerate said:
spemanig said:
I don't think he's wrong.

People are dogging what he says too much just to hate. He isn't being a troll. PS4 Pro clearly had very different design ambitions from the XBO-X, and that's okay. It's not worse. It's a different system catering to a different demographic.

He's not saying it can't compete, he's saying it's not the same thing, because it's not. XBO-X is a console for people who want something closer to PC performance without the headache of a PC. That never was what the PS4 Pro was trying to be. PS4 Pro was just trying to be a better PS4 for VR.

So much needless demonization in this thread.

I would say that is over-analyzing it.  Both are mid-generation upgrades to systems that compete with each other.  Therefore, they compete with each other.  Because one is going in one direction to compete while the other is going in another direction doesn't mean they aren't competing.

The XBOS was a mid generation upgrade, too. A smaller one. Like the PS4 Pro.

Do you see the quote start to make sense, now?

Around the Network

I like Phil when he's putting fanboys in their place. Not so much when he's in PR spin mode, which invariably gets taken as gospel and console war ammo by the same fanboys he's shot down in the past.

(Admittedly, going after fanboys is also a PR move, but at least it's entertaining and hopefully serves as a reality check.)

spemanig said:
Neodegenerate said:

I would say that is over-analyzing it.  Both are mid-generation upgrades to systems that compete with each other.  Therefore, they compete with each other.  Because one is going in one direction to compete while the other is going in another direction doesn't mean they aren't competing.

It still doesn't make sense to me because a second mid gen upgrade doesn't change the competition factor.

Now, if the Scorpio was its own Gen9 system (like say the Switch is) and they said no competition I would agree.  They are focused on new games on a new platform with exclusive availability (and presumably still BC) but they arent.

Neodegenerate said:
spemanig said:

It still doesn't make sense to me because a second mid gen upgrade doesn't change the competition factor.

Now, if the Scorpio was its own Gen9 system (like say the Switch is) and they said no competition I would agree.  They are focused on new games on a new platform with exclusive availability (and presumably still BC) but they arent.

See, but now you're overanylizing. Obviously every console is competing with each other. Even the 3DS is competing with the XBOX. That's not what he's talking about here.

And he didn't say it had no competition. He said PS4 Pro was more of a competitor to the XBOS then to the XBOX. He's literally just talking about hardware tiers here. Again, people are working way to hard to demonize a harmless comment.

spemanig said:
Neodegenerate said:

See, but now you're overanylizing. Obviously every console is competing with each other. Even the 3DS is competing with the XBOX. That's not what he's talking about here.

And he didn't say it had no competition. He said PS4 Pro was more of a competitor to the XBOS then to the XBOX. He's literally just talking about hardware tiers here. Again, people are working way to hard to demonize a harmless comment.

Then I would say that he is being remarkably short-sighted for a guy in charge of a division for a huge company like Microsoft.  The consumers will look at it as PS4 Slim vs XB1S and PS4Pro vs XB1X.  Price points will drive this.  He can have his view all he wants, and he can try to spin it all he wants.  Fact is when a mainstream consumer is looking at the 4 offerings that is how they are gonna pair them and decide on which to buy.  That makes the Pro the X competition, not the S.

Around the Network

Not in competition with the Pro? It's almost as if MS are positioning the XBX as a new generation ...

The PS5 Exists. 

You don't even need an Xbox console since pretty much all their games is playable on PC.

I think it's in competition with itself lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
spemanig said:
Neodegenerate said:

You honestly think the PS4 Pro was a small upgrade from the PS4 Slim...?

spemanig said:
Neodegenerate said:

No, it was a redesign, not an upgrade. I mean there should be like a 5% boost in power in one of its components if I remember right, but the way it outputs games is the same. Just like the PSP->PSP Slim redesign was.

The XoX is in direct competition for the core gamers money not only with the PS4P but unfortunatly for them with the PS4 Slim as well. And that is simply something that they wont be able to win, no matter what the future holds.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Neodegenerate said:
spemanig said:

Then I would say that he is being remarkably short-sighted for a guy in charge of a division for a huge company like Microsoft.  The consumers will look at it as PS4 Slim vs XB1S and PS4Pro vs XB1X.  Price points will drive this.  He can have his view all he wants, and he can try to spin it all he wants.  Fact is when a mainstream consumer is looking at the 4 offerings that is how they are gonna pair them and decide on which to buy.  That makes the Pro the X competition, not the S.

He's not spinning anything. XBOS came out last year, was more powerful, could upscale to 4K, could do HDR, etc. This is at around the same time the Pro launched.

XBOX comes out a year later, isolated from everything else, with a completely different price point and message. And again, he's not saying there's no competition. He's saying Pro is more of a XBOS competitor than an XBOX competitor. The Pro is a more mainstream device upgrade while the XBOX is clearly a niche enthusiast piece of hardware.