By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you reckon the PS5 will be boring?

Hope it has dedicated CPU and GPU.

Around the Network

Unique selling point? Yeah, I hope Playstation continues to focus on games and refining the things people already like. Games are why I'm into gaming, not hardware. Yeah, some people like to play with new bits of plastic and they want new experiences, even if they're ultimately not as good as what we already have, and that's fine, but not everyone needs to go down the same path.

I want a platform that is exactly that--a platform that best supports other things.

As far as it being a PC, everything on the market is already a PC. The only difference is the form factor and the dedication and simplification of the OS. Why would that change?

The console itself can be boring but if quality and diversity of PlayStation games continues as strong as it is, then who care. Give the developer the tools and power to make the best games they can, whether it is a specific gimmick, functionality or raw power or whatever.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I bought a PS4 for the exclusives, you know "games", the thing that matter. Spider-Man, God Of War, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT, The Last Of Us part. 2 etc... and even a multiplatform game like Injustice 2 because it's not on PC.

It will do 8K cinematic gaming.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
Hope it has dedicated CPU and GPU.

I dont..... I hope its 399$ and good value (bang-4-buck), that means no dedicated gpu & cpu.

Even MS with the Xbox One X, didnt "feel" the need for dedicated CPU & GPU.

We would have a farewell party for Jaguar CPU.

Since the node shrink rate is slowing, making more and more powerful APU's becomes much tougher due to dramatic heat output. Hence the reason the XB1X has vapor chamber cooling.

The PS5 will likely either end up a OG PS4 sized vapor chamber cooled APU (possible), or be XB1 sized with a massive standard heatsink cooled APU (unlikely), or be Pro sized with a separate CPU and GPU (possible).
With PS and XB making it quite clear they plan to continue this constant console upgrade cycle, a separate CPU and swappable GPU makes the most sense to me.

I guess there's always the possibility that they use an APU with a mid/high level CPU and low/mid level GPU and then design a slot for an upgradable GPU later on that either stands alone or even crossfires with the APU. Your probably looking at a OG PS3 or XB1 size box though, unless the upgradable GPU is an external plug in.

The hardware will allow for plenty of exciting gaming possibilities.

Gimmicks aren't what makes consoles interesting or fun. The games do.

A full VR system. By 2020 this will be affordable. Sony will program from the start for it.

I am Iron Man