By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you reckon the PS5 will be boring?

Paperboy_J said:
maxleresistant said:

Games matter, as long as games keep innovating, tell new stories, create new gameplays, people will keep buying.

Consoles don't need a "unique selling point" (also called a GIMMICK), they need great games.

But if those games can already be played on the hardware you already own, why do you need to buy another one?

It DOES need a selling point.  Otherwise, why would people buy it?

Errr...  for the same reason people have been buying a new console every 6 to 7 years for the last 30 years?  Or maybe for the same reason people expend hundreds of dollars in a new video card to keep playing the same games THEY WERE ALREADY playing?

Around the Network
chakkra said:
Paperboy_J said:

But if those games can already be played on the hardware you already own, why do you need to buy another one?

Errr...  for the same reason people have been buying a new console every 6 to 7 years for the last 30 years?  Or maybe for the same reason people expend hundreds of dollars in a new video card to keep playing the same games THEY WERE ALREADY playing?

Better graphics, hardware and performance is a selling point.

I'm keeping my expectations kinda low if its aiming for $399. But it should be better than Scorpio if its 3 or 4 years from now.

PS4 Pro was very underwhelming for the price and 3 years later.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Its really weird seeing Sony fans who constantly talk about TFs and resolution and the like are saying hardware doesnt after games do. Of you feel like that you should be all for the switch since the hardware upgrade is actually doing something to improve your overall gaming experience while all the console upgrade power twins do is make the games more pretty at this point. Its not improving the games or gameplay in any significant manner just making it more pretty.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Boring? No. They just simply need the best games and a great price to continue selling well. PlayStation doesn't need a gimmick or new form factor.

We only need games. If that's boring, then maybe you're not much of a gamer.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
o_O.Q said:

Like mario kart, smash bros, zelda etc etc etc with nintendo?

Jesus christ dude, I didn't mention software. I mentioned hardware. But while we're at it let's go down the line of their First Party which puts other first party studios to shame:

3D Mario, 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Zelda, Smash Bros. Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid, Pikmon, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, F-Zero, Splatoon, Arms, etc. etc. Name a 1st party with that many IP and then we can talk software, but I digress.

Don't take offense so fast without reading the rest of the post. I said there's nothing wrong with that [hardware predictability] because it works and people naturally like predictability. You know what to expect, that's comfortable and I get that. But to me, I always crave new experiences in hardware which is why I also have affinity for Nintendo.

...implying that mario kart, smash bros, zelda etc etc etc don't operate mechanically the same as they did since their inception 20 or 30 years ago?

Mr Puggsly said:
I'm keeping my expectations kinda low if its aiming for $399. But it should be better than Scorpio if its 3 or 4 years from now.

PS4 Pro was very underwhelming for the price and 3 years later.

PS4 Pro is hampered by having to be 100% hardware compatible with the base ps4. Plus it's a niche machine which is not a driving force to sell more software and must make its own money back in sales. That's the problem with incremental hardware, you can't simply put the best stuff of the time together and sell it at a slight loss expecting to make it back in software and subscriptions. A lot of people buying these upgrades wouldn't change their buying habits anyway. They might actually even buy less as they just spend the money on a hardware upgrade.

Scorpio is just as underwhelming for its price and 4 years later. It's $100 more than original xbox one without kinect, and equal or only slightly bigger difference than there was between XBox One and base ps4. And it's still 5 months before it even releases.

A clean break with new hardware is needed. Yet this time software BC should be easier unless the cpu clockspeeds of next gen are lower again. (Or they could emulate the base versions instead of pro/scorpio enhancements)

I don't care if it has 64KB of ram and a 3MHZ CPU. If it can bring the variety PS4 has I will be there.

I think people will be very excited by PS5 & XB4. They will be much more impressive than the numbers in the OP. People always low ball console predictions, even the PS4 & XBO were low balled, and they were not even that impressive.

On top of the base hardware both companies will be offering a vastly improved Mixed Reality headset, a much improved tracking camera, and new zero latency 1:1 motion controllers. By 2020 VR/AR will be a pretty major market, and PS5 and XB4 will take it to Smartphone levels over the decade.

Rounding it all up their will be more new expereince next gen than we have seen in the last 20 years in gaming. Things that will deliver expereinces most people have never even dreamed of. Along side that their will still be huge support for traditional games, higher resolutions, higher framerates, the same tried and true stories and gameplay so many have come to love over the last two decades.

PS5 is going to an highly exciting console. PS4 is the PS1 all over again. Some traditional games, with the next gen of gaming moving in, in a rough form, while slightly bumping up the record of units sold. PS5 will be the true successor to the PS2, making the next generation of VR gaming accessible to the most casual of gamers, and driving a massive expansion of the industry.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Paperboy_J said:
maxleresistant said:

Games matter, as long as games keep innovating, tell new stories, create new gameplays, people will keep buying.

Consoles don't need a "unique selling point" (also called a GIMMICK), they need great games.

You are missing the point, it's not about selling hardware, it has never been about selling hardware, there is no money in selling those.

The money is in content, that's why Microsoft is moving away from the generation system, they just care about users spending money in the Xbox eco system.

Hardwares are selling at a loss or at cost. 

So, stop caring so much about those hardware numbers, as long as Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft found a way to have a shit ton of users spending a shit ton of money, there is nothing boring about it.

It's all a matter of point of view, Nintendo uses gimmicks (that is boring for me), Microsoft now uses the no-generation gap and PC crossplatform strategy, and Sony is just  the king of third party and japanese games. That's the PS4's unique selling point: the games. 

Not everybody gives a crap about VR, joycons or kinect or any other useless stuff that nobody will use in 3 years.